[Plugin] Tailscale

13 hours ago, Thunder_Hawk said:

Having the same issue. No GUI unless in safe mode. Uninstalled the plugin today and GUI is fine.

I did a little more poking around and it seems the issue is by either the Use Tailscale Subnets option, the Use Tailscale DNS option, or the IP Forwarding option. With them enabled, I can only access the GUI via its Tailscale IPv4 address, not any of the local access URLs. With those options disabled, I can access everything like normal.

4 minutes ago, Thunder_Hawk said:

I did a little more poking around and it seems the issue is by either the Use Tailscale Subnets option, the Use Tailscale DNS option, or the IP Forwarding option. With them enabled, I can only access the GUI via its Tailscale IPv4 address, not any of the local access URLs. With those options disabled, I can access everything like normal.

I was going to suggest checking the subnets option -- that's usually the thing that does it.

For other folks having issues -- try connecting to your instance via the Tailscale IP, and not the local one. If that works, you might need to turn off the "Use Tailscale Subnets" option... it seems that some networks don't play nicely with that setting.

If you do run into that, it would be super helpful for me if you run diagnostics from the plugin settings *before* disabling the setting, as that might help me find what's happening then (and hopefully find a workaround for it :) )

On 11/11/2023 at 10:09 PM, ggfools said:

yeah the I/O errors were the mover trying to move some files that got corrupted when shutting down Tdarr in the middle of a transcode that I forgot about, I did finally delete them and nolonger get those errors when mover runs, the other things you mention i'm not sure but I haven't had any noticeable problems. here's a diagnostic if you want to take a look.

edit: oh the "share cache full" is probably actually full, running tdarr 24/7 does fill it up sometimes.

tardis-diagnostics-20231111-2202.zip 155.15 kB · 0 downloads

I looked through the diagnostics here and I don't see anything particularly interesting, but unfortunately it's from a clean start so I don't know if there's anything to find.

Out of curiosity -- have you been accessing your WebGUI from any mobile devices via Tailscale? I know that there have sometimes been issues with the WebGUI and background sessions on mobile devices.

On 11/13/2023 at 4:52 AM, JakobTech said:

Thanks, i don't know why I didn't think of that. However I'm not sure how to pass all docker external traffic through this mullvad exit. Please let me know if this is possible! Thanks for a great plugin! :D

In theory, traffic that is going out on the normal "bridge" network should automatically route through the exit node. If you're using br0, you'd need to add a Tailscale sidecar to the docker container.

6 hours ago, EDACerton said:

I looked through the diagnostics here and I don't see anything particularly interesting, but unfortunately it's from a clean start so I don't know if there's anything to find.

Out of curiosity -- have you been accessing your WebGUI from any mobile devices via Tailscale? I know that there have sometimes been issues with the WebGUI and background sessions on mobile devices.

I do access it with firefox mobile app on my phone (android)

9 hours ago, ggfools said:

I do access it with firefox mobile app on my phone (android)

That's probably what's doing it then (and why it takes a while for it to happen)... I don't have a link handy, but the problem is that when a page gets left open in the background on a mobile device, it eventually causes the WebGUI to crash.

Unfortunately, there's not really anything that I can do with the plugin to help with that... it's not really caused by Tailscale. Tailscale just lets the mobile device stay connected all the time, which eventually lets the WebGUI bug happen.

Edited by EDACerton

This is perhaps not really a question about the plug-in directly, but I'm hoping I can get some assistance or some pointers here. (I'm using version 2023.11.18 of the plug-in and unRAID 6.11.5.)

A couple of days ago I installed Tailscale on my Synology DS414 as well as my unRAID server (using the plug-in). Both currently sit on my local network (plain vanilla - no sublans, no VLANS). My plan is eventually to move the DS414 to an offsite location for backup over TS, so I wanted to test it out.

When I first tried to attach the DS414 as an Unassigned Device, the UD dialogue box showed two DS414 entries. (DS414 is the name I use on my local network). Guessing that one entry was for the device via the LAN and one entry was for the same device via TS, I used the TS admin console to rename the device to DS414-ts. When I used UD again, it found this entry in the list of servers and I successfully attached and mounted the device.

But the next day (server not turned off) I found that the device was unmounted and greyed out, so I was unable to mount it from the unRAID GUI. When I tried mounting DS414-ts again as a new device, UD didn't find the device. I was able to attach it via the 100.x.x.x IP address, but not when I used the DS414-ts name or the *.ts.net name. From the unRAID terminal I can ping the IP address, but not the two names. Both return "Name or service not known" errors.

From my very limited networking knowledge it looks like a problem with DNS resolution. I'm using MagicDNS and haven't changed anything on the default DNS settings in TS admin console. I thought that TS would/should resolve the TS names, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

I should add that I can browse to DS414-ts from both my tablet and my Windows PC (both have TS installed). So I'm wondering if there is an issue specific to unRAID.

34 minutes ago, sonofdbn said:

This is perhaps not really a question about the plug-in directly, but I'm hoping I can get some assistance or some pointers here. (I'm using version 2023.11.18 of the plug-in and unRAID 6.11.5.)

A couple of days ago I installed Tailscale on my Synology DS414 as well as my unRAID server (using the plug-in). Both currently sit on my local network (plain vanilla - no sublans, no VLANS). My plan is eventually to move the DS414 to an offsite location for backup over TS, so I wanted to test it out.

When I first tried to attach the DS414 as an Unassigned Device, the UD dialogue box showed two DS414 entries. (DS414 is the name I use on my local network). Guessing that one entry was for the device via the LAN and one entry was for the same device via TS, I used the TS admin console to rename the device to DS414-ts. When I used UD again, it found this entry in the list of servers and I successfully attached and mounted the device.

But the next day (server not turned off) I found that the device was unmounted and greyed out, so I was unable to mount it from the unRAID GUI. When I tried mounting DS414-ts again as a new device, UD didn't find the device. I was able to attach it via the 100.x.x.x IP address, but not when I used the DS414-ts name or the *.ts.net name. From the unRAID terminal I can ping the IP address, but not the two names. Both return "Name or service not known" errors.

From my very limited networking knowledge it looks like a problem with DNS resolution. I'm using MagicDNS and haven't changed anything on the default DNS settings in TS admin console. I thought that TS would/should resolve the TS names, but it doesn't seem to be happening.

I should add that I can browse to DS414-ts from both my tablet and my Windows PC (both have TS installed). So I'm wondering if there is an issue specific to unRAID.

This is a limitation of how Unraid handles DNS. Tailscale will try its best to keep MagicDNS active, but it's possible for other things on the system to overwrite/undo that.

In your case, the simple fix would probably be to just use the IP... the IP of the DS414 won't change as long as you don't do something like remove/re-add it to the tailnet.

• Thanks 1

Tried to re-enable the Tailscale plugin today and lost all access to my unraid server over LAN (or my other Tailscale exit node on my LAN).

Only way to fix it was to plug the ol keyboard and mouse into the unraid server and run "sudo tailscale down", immediately fixed ability to connect to my server.

unRaid Version: 6.12.4

Tailscale plugin version: 2023.11.18 (Tailscale 1.54.0)

Logs attached,

tower-diagnostics-20231127-1851.zip

1 hour ago, PilotRider said:

Tried to re-enable the Tailscale plugin today and lost all access to my unraid server over LAN (or my other Tailscale exit node on my LAN).

Only way to fix it was to plug the ol keyboard and mouse into the unraid server and run "sudo tailscale down", immediately fixed ability to connect to my server.

unRaid Version: 6.12.4

Tailscale plugin version: 2023.11.18 (Tailscale 1.54.0)

Logs attached,

tower-diagnostics-20231127-1851.zip 212.2 kB · 0 downloads

Did you try the steps in the “common issues” part of the pinned post?

On 11/27/2023 at 8:15 PM, EDACerton said:

Did you try the steps in the “common issues” part of the pinned post?

@EDACerton Sorry, jumped down to the bottom of this thread after my previous post (did not see your pinned post).

Your pinned post looks to have some great instructions, have a lot going on this week, but will plan on trying it out on my server this weekend.

Thanks again for your work on this great plugin!

Hello, I installed this plugin and I have a vm with the home assistant in my unraid: When I try on my cell phone to access my home assistant's IP http://192.168.122.221:8123 through tailscale, the page simply doesn't open. I just installed the plugin, do I need to do anything through the CLI?

34 minutes ago, Delorean said:

Hello, I installed this plugin and I have a vm with the home assistant in my unraid: When I try on my cell phone to access my home assistant's IP http://192.168.122.221:8123 through tailscale, the page simply doesn't open. I just installed the plugin, do I need to do anything through the CLI?

You'll need to do one of two things to connect to the VM using Tailscale:

1. Install Tailscale in the VM, then use that to connect to the services running in the VM, or
  2. Enable subnet routing for the Tailscale running on Unraid
  • Like 1
On 11/30/2023 at 12:20 AM, EDACerton said:

You'll need to do one of two things to connect to the VM using Tailscale:

1. Install Tailscale in the VM, then use that to connect to the services running in the VM, or
  2. Enable subnet routing for the Tailscale running on Unraid

I want do use option 2.
I have checked the option subnet as you can see. I need to do something more?

Screenshot from 2023-12-02 21-01-31.png

26 minutes ago, Delorean said:

I want do use option 2.
I have checked the option subnet as you can see. I need to do something more?

Screenshot from 2023-12-02 21-01-31.png

"Use Tailscale Subnets" isn't the option you want -- that makes Tailscale accept subnets advertised by other devices, not advertise the subnet itself.

Right now, advertising subnets can only be done via the Unraid console, you'll need to run a command that will look something like this:

tailscale set --advertise-routes=192.168.1.0/24

Once you advertise the route from Unraid, you'll have to go to the Tailscale admin console and approve the route: https://tailscale.com/kb/1019/subnets/#step-3-enable-subnet-routes-from-the-admin-console

2 minutes ago, EDACerton said:

"Use Tailscale Subnets" isn't the option you want -- that makes Tailscale accept subnets advertised by other devices, not advertise the subnet itself.

Right now, advertising subnets can only be done via the Unraid console, you'll need to run a command that will look something like this:

tailscale set --advertise-routes=192.168.1.0/24

Once you advertise the route from Unraid, you'll have to go to the Tailscale admin console and approve the route: https://tailscale.com/kb/1019/subnets/#step-3-enable-subnet-routes-from-the-admin-console

Thank you for you anwser.
By the way, i need some help extra.
The ip of my router is 192.168.178.1 (i use this ip to get page router acess)
But i am running unraid on virtual machine on my laptop and the ip of my unraid is 192.168.122.15 and the IP of my home assistant is 192.168.122.22

So the question is what i need to put here:

tailscale set --adversitse-routes=192.168.1.0/24   ??????

I'm currently trying to access my Unraid server from anywhere using my Mac and Tailscale. Both devices are connected to my tailnet, and the Mac is able to access the GUI from a different network. When I go to Locations > ------'s Macbook Pro > Network, the server doesn't show up as a drive. What am I doing wrong?

1 hour ago, Wardus said:

I'm currently trying to access my Unraid server from anywhere using my Mac and Tailscale. Both devices are connected to my tailnet, and the Mac is able to access the GUI from a different network. When I go to Locations > ------'s Macbook Pro > Network, the server doesn't show up as a drive. What am I doing wrong?

Unraid might not be detected automatically under “Network” when connected via Tailscale. 

You can try connecting to the server using Finder and the servers tailnet name/IP. You might also want to check the NetBIOS setting in Unraid, see the pinned post for info about that. 

• Thanks 1
On 12/2/2023 at 9:39 PM, Delorean said:

Thank you for you answser.
By the way, i need some help extra.
The ip of my router is 192.168.178.1 (i use this ip to get page router acess)
But i am running unraid on virtual machine on my laptop and the ip of my unraid is 192.168.122.15 and the IP of my home assistant is 192.168.122.22

So the question is what i need to put here:

tailscale set --adversitse-routes=192.168.1.0/24   ??????

can you help @EDACerton?
thanks