how many disks can i actually handle with unraid??

good morning everyone, excuse my total ignorance, but how many disks can uinraid support? I'm a pippa with English, on the site it says that the pro version supports 30 disks (28+2 parity) but then it speaks of 35 pools, does it mean that it supports 35 pools of 30 disks each?

thank you for your kind reply, so if I understood correctly it applies to the cache pool, to expand the system I'm assembling these days with an array formed by 22+2 disks, so to expand it I can't connect a jbod system with 22+ others 2 disks and control it from the same hardware, but I have to create an entirely new system that works in parallel?

7 hours ago, IMone said:

so to expand it I can't connect a jbod system with 22+ others 2 disks and control it from the same hardware, but I have to create an entirely new system that works in parallel?

that is true for 6.12. It is planned to have Unraid's parity protected Array to be one pool type among others. If it is confirmed, you would have the possibility to add several Arrays.

When would this be available, I do not know.

10 hours ago, IMone said:

thank you for your kind reply, so if I understood correctly it applies to the cache pool, to expand the system I'm assembling these days with an array formed by 22+2 disks, so to expand it I can't connect a jbod system with 22+ others 2 disks and control it from the same hardware, but I have to create an entirely new system that works in parallel?

I thought it is worth pointing out that there is nothing stopping you from having a pool acting as your main storage location.   With the introduction of ZFS in the 6.12.x releases there are now quite a few people who do not use the main array for storage but instead use a ZFS pool.   This will perform much better than the main array albeit without as much flexibility in terms of adding new disks as you go. 

As was mentioned the 6.13 release is meant to make the current Unraid main array just another pool type thus removing any realistic limitations on number of drives even for that type of array as you can then have multiple pools of that type.

11 ore fa, itimpi ha detto:

Ho pensato che valesse la pena sottolineare che non c'è nulla che ti impedisca di avere un pool che funga da posizione di archiviazione principale. Con l'introduzione di ZFS nelle versioni 6.12.x ora sono molte le persone che non utilizzano l'array principale per l'archiviazione ma utilizzano invece un pool ZFS. Ciò funzionerà molto meglio dell'array principale, anche se senza la stessa flessibilità in termini di aggiunta di nuovi dischi man mano che si procede. 

Come accennato in precedenza, la versione 6.13 ha lo scopo di rendere l'attuale array principale Unraid solo un altro tipo di pool, rimuovendo così qualsiasi limitazione realistica sul numero di unità anche per quel tipo di array poiché è quindi possibile avere più pool di quel tipo.

thanks for now.

unfortunately having flexibility in adding disks is fundamental for me, currently I have a synology nas with 18 disks, and at the time I bought it for this reason, being a private individual and not a company, being able to spread the hardware costs over time, increasing the number of discs allows me to do so, so let's wait for positive news in this regard, for the moment I'll make 22+2 enough, in a year we'll see

14 ore fa, ChatNoir ha detto:

questo è vero per 6.12. Si prevede che l'array protetto dalla parità di Unraid sia un tipo di pool tra gli altri. Se viene confermato, avrai la possibilità di aggiungere diversi Array.

Quando sarà disponibile, non lo so.

thank's

1 hour ago, IMone said:

increasing the number of discs allows me to do so, so let's wait for positive news in this regard, for the moment I'll make 22+2 enough, in a year we'll see

The 6.13 release will solve this problem for you when you can have multiple arrays of the type currently used for the main array.    No idea of timescale for that release but going on past experience I would expect to see the first release candidates by the end of this year or not long afterwards.