Central unRAID drive quality db?

cyrnel

This has probably crossed someone else's mind already but thought I'd put it out there...

How about an unRAID-wide drive health monitoring tool? Something that would collect information for all or a sampling of drives used with unRAID. Their configuration, health, hours, etc, all sent to a central unRAID database. It'd need some level of security to prevent "optimizing" and  an opt-out option, but it could provide more relevant data for our needs than tiny samples and the aging google study. Certainly better than emotion, which is such a difficult influence to avoid. It's been 30-some years since I bought my first 5MB HD ($2500 - gah) but I still find myself swayed horribly by the most recent few drives I've purchased.

I love the idea, but I'm not sure how valid the data will be as a predictor. I have been building and servicing PCs for a living for 17 years, and from what I've seen over the years, physical environment and treatment is much more important to disk longevity than purely make and model. Granted, there have been MANY examples of specific production runs (and companies) that were almost all stinkers, but those same companies have produced some very reliable drives as well. It's almost impossible to tell you have a stinker on your hands until it's much too late to quit buying it. (Seagate 40MB RLL drives excluded. 50% out of box failure rate was a dead giveaway)

A database would be interesting from a historical perspective, but I don't think it would have any value at all as a predictor of future performance.

The safest method I know of populating a large number of drives is to have varied makes, models, and build dates. Unraid provides a very easy way of accommodating that goal, because capacity matching is not a requirement, and adding drives after the array is built is painless. We have Joe L's excellent preclear drive exerciser available to weed out the drives that were shipped ready to fail, or damaged in shipment or install (installation handling is very important, NEVER allow two bare drives to hit each other, or any hard surface object. The G-force generated on a bare drive is very easy to spike with seemingly innocuous contact. After installation the extra mass and springiness of the case can absorb much more impact without transferring the force directly to the drive)

The emotional component can be very bad, because there are only two types of hard drives in existence right now, those that have failed already, and those that will fail in the future. It's inevitable that you will experience failure at some point if you keep your drives in service for any extended period of time. Even the best drive statistically available can fail and cause you an ulcer. It's better to assume you will experience failure, and keep backups commensurate with the possible pain of data loss.

You forgot Toshiba. They do consumer grade 2.5 and 1.8, and enterprise grade 3.5.

I didn't,  they only make enterprise and laptop hard drives as you say.

Why exclude them? An unraid box populated with laptop drives could be quite the power saver, and compact as well.

Probably not very optimal for power consumption in Watts per TB one suspects.

You forgot Toshiba. They do consumer grade 2.5 and 1.8, and enterprise grade 3.5.

I didn't,  they only make enterprise and laptop hard drives as you say.

Why exclude them? An unraid box populated with laptop drives could be quite the power saver, and compact as well.

Probably not very optimal for power consumption in Watts per TB one suspects.

Toshiba 1TB 2.5"

Read/Write Power 1.7 watts

Low Power Idle 0.65 watts

Standby Power 0.18 watts

Sleep Power 0.15 watts

WD 3TB Green

Read/Write 6.00 Watts

Idle 5.50 Watts

Standby 0.80 Watts

Sleep 0.80 Watts

Archived