Support for Seagate Mach.2 dual actuator hdd.

9 hours ago, frodr said:

There are some scripts out there, but I guess an adaptation to Unraid is probably needed. A plugin would be nice.

Do you plan on using SATA or SAS devices?

This script is only for ZFS and SAS drivers, as far as I can tell SATA can not represent two drives over one connection so you would need to create two separate partitions where you don't have the same speed bump over SAS.

This script should even work fine for Unraid as far as I can tell.

1 hour ago, ich777 said:

Do you plan on using SATA or SAS devices?

This script is only for ZFS and SAS drivers, as far as I can tell SATA can not represent two drives over one connection so you would need to create two separate partitions where you don't have the same speed bump over SAS.

This script should even work fine for Unraid as far as I can tell.

I have 6 x Exos 2X18 Sata version ready for a ZFS Pool. Refurbished from ServerPartDeals at 220USD. In the link, it is also a script for the Sata drives. I would need a step by step how-to. 

43 minutes ago, frodr said:

I would need a step by step how-to. 

The following should work:

1. Install Dialog since it does not ship with Unraid
    wget -O /tmp/dialog-1.3_20211214-x86_64-1.txz ftp.linux.cz/pub/linux/slackware/slackware64-15.0/slackware64/a/dialog-1.3_20211214-x86_64-1.txz
    installpkg /tmp/dialog-1.3_20211214-x86_64-1.txz
    rm /tmp/dialog-1.3_20211214-x86_64-1.txz
  2. Download and make the script executable:
    cd ~
    wget https://github.com/suykerbuyk/disk-helpers-scripts/raw/d1c58af8fe445a7adb2dd351468aecbe4acab6da/exosx2_zfs_ops.sh
    chmod +x exosx2_zfs_ops.sh
  3. Finally run the script:
    ./exosx2_zfs_ops.sh
  4. This should bring up a menu that you can navigate through.

DISCLAIMER: Please note that these scripts are marked as experimental so to speak, if you break something it's up to you...

• Thanks 1

From the FAQ:

Q: How can I configure an Exos ® 2X SATA drive in my Linux system?
A: You can partition both actuators, stripe the actuators into a software RAID, or use as-is.
Using the drive as-is would be a sufficient solution if you are migrating data to fill (or almost
fill) the whole drive so that both actuators will be kept sufficiently busy. If you would like to
treat each actuator as an individual device, then simple partitioning is an easy way to utilize
Exos 2X SATA.

So, Seagate says it can be used as-is in Linux. If you are migrating data to fill (or almost fill) the whole drive so that both actuators will be kept sufficiently busy. My understanding to this is that both actuators don't kick in until its fill up??? I had the drives in a Z2 Pool, but speed was as standard hdd. 

3 minutes ago, frodr said:

My understanding to this is that both actuators don't kick in until its fill up???

From what I've read the 1st half of the disk uses one actuator, 2nd half uses the other, so when filling a disk will use use just one at a time, though zfs can write anywhere on the disk, isn't always sequential like most other filesystems, so it can alternate between the two during a fill up.

My hope lies in Unraid supporting multiple partitions in ZFS, or that mach.2 will be supported in the Linux kernel. Which one should I put my money on? Well, kernel support is not enough I guess, Unraid must also support multiple partitions in ZFS. I do expect Unraid to do that one mans requisition. What if I ship 2 drives to 10 persons, then demand increases........

I guess I just set them up as is, and maybe one day.........

• 1 month later...