SMB/Shares Permissions Help

Go to solution Solved by itimpi,

I just got around to setting up unRAID for the first time after posting about switching from OMV. I followed a mini-guide of sorts (https://www.reddit.com/r/unRAID/comments/xdkxjr/comment/ioc22sk/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3) which seemed to work well. The problem I'm running into is creating SMB shares where unRAID fails to load any shares (no error, just no results returned).

I didnt input any credentials or domain, and this is what the shares currently look like. Not sure where to go from here.

/mnt/disk1# ls -l
total 0
drwx--x--x 15   1000 users 209 Dec 28 21:53 AppData/
drwxrwxrwx  5 nobody users  57 Dec 28 21:52 Personal/
drwxrwsrwx  5 nobody users  47 Dec 28 21:53 Plex/
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users   6 Dec 28 13:52 appdata/
drwxrwsr-x  5   1000 users 202 Dec 28 21:53 config/
drwxrwsrwx  2   1000 users   6 May  3  2019 data/
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users   6 Dec 28 13:53 domains/
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users   6 Dec 28 13:53 isos/
drwxrwxrwx  2 nobody users   6 Apr 12  2019 lost+found/
drwxrwsrwx  2 nobody users   6 Apr 13  2019 media/
drwxr-sr-x  3    996 users  21 Apr 20  2021 plexmediaserver/
drwxrwxrwx  4 nobody users  35 Dec 28 21:51 system/
drwxrwsrwx  2 nobody users   6 Apr 13  2019 watched/

image.thumb.png.5c82d61bb49cc0e670f9989ea5ab1607.png

Someone had me check /mnt/user/ and I get the following:

ls -lh /mnt/user/
total 0
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users 209 Dec 28 21:53 AppData/
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  57 Dec 28 21:52 Personal/
drwxrwsrwx 1 nobody users  47 Dec 28 21:53 Plex/
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   6 Dec 28 13:52 appdata/
drwxrwsrwx 1 nobody users 202 Dec 28 21:53 config/
drwxrwsrwx 1 nobody users   6 May  3  2019 data/
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   6 Dec 28 13:53 domains/
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   6 Dec 28 13:53 isos/
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   6 Apr 12  2019 lost+found/
drwxrwsrwx 1 nobody users   6 Apr 13  2019 media/
drwxrwsrwx 1 nobody users  21 Apr 20  2021 plexmediaserver/
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  35 Dec 28 21:51 system/
drwxrwsrwx 1 nobody users   6 Apr 13  2019 watched/

The picture shows that they aren't exported.  The share you need to export via it's settings.

Also, FWIW you've created a top level directory (ie: share) via a docker container called AppData and appdata.  Not an issue per se, but rather confusing.  You should see which contaiiner has the "appdata" share and fix it to match the case of the default one (it's going to be one that does not have a "/config" for one of its container paths.

7 minutes ago, trurl said:

Attach diagnostics to your NEXT post in this thread.

Attached!

7 minutes ago, Squid said:

The picture shows that they aren't exported.  The share you need to export via it's settings.

Also, FWIW you've created a top level directory (ie: share) via a docker container called AppData and appdata.  Not an issue per se, but rather confusing.  You should see which contaiiner has the "appdata" share and fix it to match the case of the default one (it's going to be one that does not have a "/config" for one of its container paths.

Not sure I follow what you mean by exporting.

All of this data was from an Open Media Vault server that I previously had running. I did an rsync so it contains shares from my previous docker setup for Plex and other stuff I had running. I was/am planning on cleaning all of this up once I can get the shares thing resolved.

Essentially, I'll be purging everything with the exception of my Plex library and personal backups. I'll then start over via new containers.

adamsavage-diagnostics-20231230-0806.zip

Edited by Goofyman23
  • Solution

If you want a share to be visible over the network then you need to change the Export setting under SMB to something other than the default of No.   which value you select depends on your security needs.

Linux is case sensitive for folder/file names whereas SMB is not.   Therefore if you have two folders at the Linux level with the same spelling but different case then only one of them will get picked up by the share with the same spelling.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, itimpi said:

If you want a share to be visible over the network then you need to change the Export setting under SMB to something other than the default of No.   which value you select depends on your security needs.

Linux is case sensitive for folder/file names whereas SMB is not.   Therefore if you have two folders at the Linux level with the same spelling but different case then only one of them will get picked up by the share with the same spelling.

Gotcha.

What is the difference between that and setting it up under Main > SMB Shares? Considering I need to clean up (ie remove) a lot of the existing Shares, is it best to do this via CLI or is it possible via the web GUI?

28 minutes ago, Goofyman23 said:

Main > SMB Shares

You must be referring to the Unassigned Devices section and the SMB share feature of the UD plugin. This isn't related to your Unraid managed User Shares.

In the webUI, you can remove a share after you delete all its files and subfolders.

I recommend Dynamix File Manager plugin and not trying to use cli for file management. You can get into trouble with the cli if you aren't experienced with Unraid.

• Like 1