Unmountable device, wrong or no file system

Hi, I've been using Unraid for several years now and I've encountered an issue I can't resolve. After restarting the server, one of the HDDs couldn't be mounted, and it was marked as "wrong or no file system."

I did some searching online and eventually landed on this link: https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/storage-management/#checking-a-file-system

The Storage Management section contains instructions on how to repair the file system. So, I initiated the check through the web GUI. The system operates on BTRFS, and it found a few errors during the check.

I couldn't execute the "Test" command, so I proceeded to the repair phase. Repair started, but it requires confirmation with 'y' to begin the repair process. I'm stuck at this point, where can I input 'y' to commence the repair process?

Perhaps I am completly wrong and should do something different.

In advance, thank you very much for any tips.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, your appdata, domains, and system shares have some files on the array. And your domains share is set to get moved to the array.

Ideally, these shares would have all their files on fast pool such as cache, so Dockers/VMs can perform better and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

Set domains Mover action: array->cache

Nothing can move open files, so you have to disable Docker and VM Manager in Settings so these shares can be moved.

Then, run Mover, wait for it to finish, and post new Diagnostics so we can check if everything got moved.

1 minute ago, Decay said:

How could I resolve that problem? Could it be possible, that that are files from an old and wrong configuration?

It could.   The mover will not overwrite existing files so if you have duplicate files from previous actions you need to tidy this up manually and decide which copy to keep.    You can use the Dynamix File Manager plugin to examine the drives and manually carry out the desired actions.

Mover won't replace files, so if a file exists in both places you will have to decide which to keep.

Dynamix File Manager plugin will let you work with files directly on the server.

Since we are going to recreate docker.img anyway we could start with the system share.

What do you get from command line with these?

ls -lah /mnt/cache/system/libvirt
ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system/libvirt

and these?

ls -lah /mnt/cache/system/docker
ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system/docker

Here are the results:

ls -lah /mnt/cache/system/libvirt

total 1.8M
drwxrwxrwx 1 root   root    22 Jan  2 18:10 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   26 Aug 20  2020 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users 1.0G Jan  6 16:00 libvirt.img

ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system/libvirt

total 1.0G
drwxrwxrwx 1 root   root    22 Aug 20  2020 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users   26 Aug 20  2020 ../
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 1.0G Jan  2 17:41 libvirt.img

ls -lah /mnt/cache/system/docker

total 1.4G
drwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   20 Jan  2 18:10 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  26 Aug 20  2020 ../
-rw-r--r-- 1 nobody users 20G Jan  6 16:07 docker.img

ls -lah /mnt/disk1/system/docker

total 20G
drwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   20 Aug 20  2020 ./
drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users  26 Aug 20  2020 ../
-rw-rw-rw- 1 nobody users 30G Jan  2 18:00 docker.img

Posted (edited)

No, I deleted all VMs because my server is to old to handle it properly and at the moment I am good with only dockers. New hardware is planned soon but my money says that I have to wait :)

I shall delete the docker images?

These ones?

/mnt/disk1/system/docker

/mnt/cache/system/docker

I am just a bit afraid to do that :)

Just installed Dynamix File Manager.

I understand how the File Manager works, do I have to stop Docker and VM again?

Edited by Decay

3 minutes ago, Decay said:

No, I deleted all VMs

Then we can also delete both copies of your libvirt and just leave VM Manager disabled until you think you might want to try again with that.

1 minute ago, Decay said:

I am just a bit afraid to do that

9 minutes ago, trurl said:

we are going to recreate docker.img anyway

It is always safe to delete docker.img. It is just the executable code of your containers, which can be downloaded again.

Here is where we are going with this:

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/docker-management/#re-create-the-docker-image-file

https://docs.unraid.net/unraid-os/manual/docker-management/#re-installing-docker-applications

So I assume Docker and VM Manager must be disabled now or it wouldn't have let you delete those.

This time I'll let you get the answers from Dynamix File Manager.

What is in the appdata folder on cache and on disk1? Screenshots will be fine.

Looks like the only duplicate is krusader. Personally I would just forget all about krusader and use Dynamix File Manager.

If you do want to keep it for some reason you have to decide which copy of the krusader appdata to delete. Probably doesn't matter all that much for that particular docker. The stuff on disk1 was probably created when you started that container without a cache drive.

OK, refer to my previous post for the links to recreate and reinstall. Previous Apps will let you install everything it finds a template for on your flash drive, which is probably everything you have ever tried out, so you might want to pick and choose.