• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 minutes ago, malaki86 said:

Dynamix File Manager plugin

Do not know why you are not getting expected results then.

Reason for asking for what you were using is that if you use Move from something like Krusader or 'mv' at the command line you can get files unexpectedly staying on the same disk because of the behaviour described in the Caution in this section of the online documentation.   Dynamix File Manager implements move using a copy/delete strategy so should not suffer from this issue.

Just now, itimpi said:

Do not know why you are not getting expected results then.

Reason for asking for what you were using is that if you use Move from something like Krusader or 'mv' at the command line you can get files unexpectedly staying on the same disk because of the behaviour described in the Caution in this section of the online documentation.   Dynamix File Manager implements move using a copy/delete strategy so should not suffer from this issue.

That's why I'm using the FM plugin. 

what about a direct rsync instead, or does the FM use rsync in the background already?

1 hour ago, malaki86 said:

That's what's driving me insane. I just stopped the array. Hoping that spinning it back up might help?

It might be worth seeing if @JorgeB has an idea?    I seem to remember that there is an ‘included disks’ bug that can perhaps be relevant, but I am not sure of the details.

Okay - I thought I would try something. I have had the new share set to write directly to the array because of the volume of files that I have to move. So, for sh*ts & giggles, I changed the share to use the cache again. I selected about 10 movie folders with spread out files to move, which landed them in the cache, as it should. When that finished, I started the mover, and it starts by sending the files to the drive with the most free space. But, for whatever reason, it starts moving them to the empty drive, yet again...

1 minute ago, trurl said:

As mentioned, Split Level has precedence over Allocation. And if it didn't, Split Level would be meaningless.

Just move from disk to disk, that gives you complete control over which disk a file is moved to.

Then why is there even a split level option, being that is is meaningless? Serious question. It's easy to look and see "hmmm - there are 10.25Gb of files to move, but this drive only has 8Gb free. Let's look on the next drive."

The fact that Split Level has precedence over Allocation Method is exactly what makes it have meaning.

22 minutes ago, malaki86 said:

started the mover, and it starts by sending the files to the drive with the most free space. But, for whatever reason, it starts moving them to the empty drive, yet again...

Don't understand this part. Isn't that what you wanted, for cache to move them to the Most Free drive, which is the empty drive?

In any case, mover is still going to respect Split Level, and if Split level says files belong together on another drive, it will override Allocation.

5 minutes ago, trurl said:

The fact that Split Level has precedence over Allocation Method is exactly what makes it have meaning.

Don't understand this part. Isn't that what you wanted, for cache to move them to the Most Free drive, which is the empty drive?

In any case, mover is still going to respect Split Level, and if Split level says files belong together on another drive, it will override Allocation.

I said that it STARTED to move the files to the drive with the most space, which is where they should be, not on the drive that is full beyond it's allocated space. There is ZERO reason that a 5Gb file, plus 2 32kb files can't be automatically be stored on a drive with 1.72Tb of space available, instead of "NO - PUT IT ON THE DRIVE WITH 50Mb FREE"

Edited by malaki86
30 minutes ago, trurl said:

Split Level has precedence over Allocation. And if it didn't, Split Level would be meaningless.

I don't think you have understood this, since it seems to be what you are railing against.

If Allocation Method had precedence over Split Level, it would always use Allocation Method to decide where to put a file, and so Split Level would be meaningless.

How could it be otherwise?

If Allocation Method had precedence, it would take a look at Allocation Method first, and since it gives a clear indication of where to put the file, there is no need to consult Split Level.

Since Split Level has precedence, it takes a look at Split Level first, and since it give a clear indication of where to put the file, there is no need to consult Allocation Method.

Another thing you could do to prevent it putting a file on the disk where split level says it should go, is to set Minimum Free for the share to a value larger than the file. Then it would just give you an error since the disk selected doesn't have Minimum Free.

All of this works as logically as possible. If you don't want it to use Split Level to decide where to put a file, then don't set the share to use Split Level.

1 minute ago, trurl said:

Another thing you could do to prevent it putting a file on the disk where split level says it should go, is to set Minimum Free for the share to a value larger than the file. Then it would just give you an error since the disk selected doesn't have Minimum Free.

All of this works as logically as possible. If you don't want it to use Split Level to decide where to put a file, then don't set the share to use Split Level.

I have a minimum free space of 200Gb. The largest file I've moved is 75Gb. Yesterday, it had the free space down to 85Kb, but was trying to put 10Gb files on it.

1 minute ago, malaki86 said:

How could it be otherwise? By using a little logic prior to moving anything. Will it fit PROPERLY on this drive with all of the files? No? Ok, let's check the next drive.

In the general case of writing new files to a share, Unraid doesn't know in advance how large a file will become, so it chooses a drive for it in advance, based on Split Level, Minimum Free, and Allocation Method.

2 minutes ago, malaki86 said:

I have a minimum free space of 200Gb. The largest file I've moved is 75Gb. Yesterday, it had the free space down to 85Kb, but was trying to put 10Gb files on it.

Sorry, I misspoke. Split Level has precedence over Minimum Free also.

I'm pretty sure the trick of Excluding the disk from the share would work though. It won't write new files to a disk that is excluded. All disks are still included for reading the share.