Running out of space, but I'm not

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, malaki86 said:

Well, being that split level doesn't work the way it's supposed to, I guess I don't have much choice, do I

It works perfectly well for me and as far as I know others who use it.   That was why we were looking to see if there was something we could spot in your setup that would stop it working for you. 

Still puzzled as to why it is not working for you.

It's not working because it's not using any logic prior to moving pre-existing files. That's easy to see. If it was only brand new files that were growing as it's downloaded, I could see why it would be a problem.

NOT for files that are already 100% existing on the server.

Just wanted to post a follow-up

I've been moving both TV shows (split level of top 2) and movies (split the top level) and haven't had another issue. I have the array set to 200Gb free space, and allocation set to "Most Free". It's spreading everything out across the different drives, but it's also keeping the TV series season and Movies in the correct folders. I have no clue why it was all messed up before, but it seems to have sorted itself.

Ok - I know exactly what was causing the issue:

When using File Manager and selecting a large group of items to move, it's moving everything to one drive. If you only more one or two things at a time, you can see that it's using the allocation method to decide where to put those files. 

Assuming that File Manager uses rsync for the actual file operations, I'm guessing that File Manager dumps an entire list to rsync, which just sends it to the location that File Manager says to, without checking the allocation method once the operation has started.

I've been using Sonarr to move the TV series to the new location vs File Manager. Sonarr is spreading them out perfect because it's doing it file by file, versus one huge group to move at once. When I move a large group of movies in File Manager, I can see that entire group being moved to a single drive.

6 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Rsync will create all folders before starting the data transfer, so all of them would be created on the first available disk for that share, and then split level would take precedence.

You understand what I'm saying about the entire "all at once vs one at a time thing", though? That's what is causing the issue. Rsync creates the folders on a specific drive and at that time, hell or high water, it's going to try to shove everything in it.

Some sort of file transfer queue would alleviate the issue. Instead of an all at once, it would do file by file.

3 minutes ago, malaki86 said:

Rsync creates the folders on a specific drive

Like mentioned it will create the folders for the complete transfer.

3 minutes ago, malaki86 said:

and at that time, hell or high water, it's going to try to shove everything in it.

Correct, according to the split level set, if split level is set to any using rsync is not a problem, it can be if not, as you found out.

You'd need to use a different way of transferring the files, like midnight commander for example, or manually use rsync with this script (not tested by me).

I usually just use Windows explorer, even for copying data inside the server, since it will use Samba's server side copy, copy will still be done locally, no data will transverse the network.