Docker runs in Ram

Go to solution Solved by Olivilo,

Hello everybody, thx for reading

i am new to the community and working myself throu Unraid

had with trial and error to learn but its working more and more and i am happy, thx to the Mods helping me so fast out.

After a new organisation of my Array and caches pools with replacing SDD with Smart eroor i have a easy configuration:

one 4 TB Main Array Dis with no Parity

2 SSDs a 512 GB and a 320 GS everyone in its own pool.

I Installed some dockers but as you can see in my Picture they use Ram and not the pool Disc i adjusted under shares 

how do i get the Dockers into the cache what have i false configured ?

Thx for help.

2.thumb.png.15e19774e73d261df1436083eb54bf91.png

1.png

Edited by Olivilo

To provide more information, click on the    DOCKER     tab in the GUI. 

Then left click on each Docker app that you think should be writing to the pool/array.   Then click on 'Edit' in the dropdown menu.   The find the 'Show more settings' at the bottom of that page and click on it.  Then do a screenshot of the information.  Redact any login names and passwords.  Then post the screenshot(s) up in a new post in this thread.  (Don't modify an earlier post to include these screenshots as that modification is never acknowledged by the BBS software.  A new post will flag the thread as having new info!) 

This appears to be just a continuation of your other thread (which you already marked solved). I am going to lock that other (solved) thread and send people to this one for further discussion.

Please don't post about the same thing in multiple places. It makes it impossible to coordinate responses.

For reference, here is that other thread.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, trurl said:

This appears to be just a continuation of your other thread (which you already marked solved). I am going to lock that other (solved) thread and send people to this one for further discussion.

Please don't post about the same thing in multiple places. It makes it impossible to coordinate responses.

For reference, here is that other thread.

I tought no make it as sloved cause it were few things to solve so i enterd a new theme here ok will keem questioning in one theme than

1 hour ago, Kilrah said:

If you're talking of the Docker line under "system" in the dachboard that's usage of the Docker image, not RAM.

yes this info i mean i got 32 Gig Ram and docker uses all time 48% of it.

Also cause my dockers were only in Ram i lost them after Ram was full and i had a reboot.

When i got to the PV morning back there were no dockers anymore

I dont wanna reinstall dockers every 2 days therefor i ask hwo to hhold them in SSD cache and not in  Ram like you say teh docker image ' btw i installed docker as a Directory not as a image

Your appdata, domains, and system shares have files on the array. Ideally, these shares would all be on fast pool so Dockers/VMs will perform better, and so array disks can spin down since these files are always open.

2 minutes ago, Olivilo said:

installed docker as a Directory not as a image

Why?

1 hour ago, Frank1940 said:

To provide more information, click on the    DOCKER     tab in the GUI. 

Then left click on each Docker app that you think should be writing to the pool/array.   Then click on 'Edit' in the dropdown menu.   The find the 'Show more settings' at the bottom of that page and click on it.  Then do a screenshot of the information.  Redact any login names and passwords.  Then post the screenshot(s) up in a new post in this thread.  (Don't modify an earlier post to include these screenshots as that modification is never acknowledged by the BBS software.  A new post will flag the thread as having new info!) 

Here is the Picture of my acual working dockers

The Volume Mappings i dont really Get with App to host

where is definition thats not in Ram thats in cache ?

1.png

10 hours ago, Olivilo said:

yes this info i mean i got 32 Gig Ram and docker uses all time 48% of it.

Also cause my dockers were only in Ram i lost them after Ram was full and i had a reboot.

Again this bar is NOT related to RAM in any way.

The Volume Mappings i dont really Get with App to host

Those are Appdata mappings, unrelated to the Docker system itself.

When i got to the PV morning back there were no dockers anymore

I dont wanna reinstall dockers every 2 days therefor i ask hwo to hhold them in SSD cache and not in  Ram like you say teh docker image ' btw i installed docker as a Directory not as a image

If you lost things then it's the path you gave for your Docker folder that matters.

Best to not change defaults if you have no idea why, image is safer when you don't understand the whole system...

Edited by Kilrah
4 hours ago, Kilrah said:

Again this bar is NOT related to RAM in any way.

Those are Appdata mappings, unrelated to the Docker system itself.

If you lost things then it's the path you gave for your Docker folder that matters.

Best to not change defaults if you have no idea why, image is safer when you don't understand the whole system...

ok this RAm bar is not related to Ram

this morning just the server didnt respond i had to hardreset it to get it work again

and i like the docker as directory so i am able to handle files better over SMB

tronshome-diagnostics-20240222-1453.zip

25 minutes ago, Olivilo said:

like the docker as directory so i am able to handle files better over SMB

I've never heard that reason, and it again makes me wonder why you are doing this.

There should be no need to access the files in docker.img (or the docker folder). You are supposed to map anything you need to access to host storage. That is what appdata is all about, and that is what the other path mappings are all about.

Things in docker.img (or the docker folder) will be lost when a container updates, or when you reinstall a container.

@Olivilo, Understand that Unraid is different than most Linux installations.  It is actually installed to a RAM 'disk' rather than on a physical drive (ssd or hd).   This means that it has limited storage space in its file system.  So that Linux (or Docker) apps that are not aware of the this may be storing 'user' data on this RAM 'disk' thinking that is actually writing to a physical disk!  IF your Dockers apps all have support threads on the forum, they should already be setup to address this issue---(Read the support thread).  If they do not, you will have to check to see that if you have any Dockers containers that are saving 'user' data that they are setup so that this storage is on a physical disk.  

This is usually done by editing the Docker Container to specify a Host Path that maps a Container Path to a Host Path-- a physical disk on your Unraid server file system.

2 minutes ago, Frank1940 said:

@Olivilo, Understand that Unraid is different than most Linux installations.  It is actually installed to a RAM 'disk' rather than on a physical drive (ssd or hd).   This means that it has limited storage space in its file system.  So that Linux (or Docker) apps that are not aware of the this may be storing 'user' data on this RAM 'disk' thinking that is actually writing to a physical disk!  IF your Dockers apps all have support threads on the forum, they should already be setup to address this issue---(Read the support thread).  If they do not, you will have to check to see that if you have any Dockers containers that are saving 'user' data that they are setup so that this storage is on a physical disk.  

This is usually done by editing the Docker Container to specify a Host Path that maps a Container Path to a Host Path-- a physical disk on your Unraid server file system.

thx for clearifying it

and i am still a nuub in Unraid but started with commodore 64 some time ago

11 minutes ago, trurl said:

I've never heard that reason, and it again makes me wonder why you are doing this.

There should be no need to access the files in docker.img (or the docker folder). You are supposed to map anything you need to access to host storage. That is what appdata is all about, and that is what the other path mappings are all about.

Things in docker.img (or the docker folder) will be lost when a container updates, or when you reinstall a container.

To use Docker not as a Img was a advise from a German Youtube Streamner that does mutch Unraid content

So what shall i do now, 

i just dont understand till now why this server hag up sometimes it it cause i choose docker as a directory so i have to change this, or is it cause Unraiud uses Ram alike a HDD and when its full it gets a overload and my Server freezes in the night and i have to change ram configuration or run less dockes at once >?

Edited by Olivilo
  • Solution
9 hours ago, trurl said:

How many dockers are you trying to run? Have you been able to get even one of them to work correctly and reliably, including after reboots and updates?

yes over this day i had no issues, after i changed the SDD cache with errors and formated both every in its own pool it works.

it seems something happend last morning again i had to hardreset my unraid system and it needet quite a few minutes to come up, but with suprise i hade to see all dockers and VM<s were there and up and running.

Actual i run Dockers:
SearXNG
NGinxProxyManager

Unraid Cloudfalre Tunnel

Scrunity
Nginx

Conan Exiles 

The Front

i will add nextcould soon

and wanna try the multistream ability of unmraid also soon

when evereything works more than 5 days i start to host different websides but therfore i need more top learn about doickes if i need to clone them how virtualisation networks work and so on so next 2 week i have enough to play with.