eth0 missing after unscheduled power off

On 2/28/2024 at 4:43 PM, JorgeB said:

Post new diags after an unclean shutdown, when the server is having the problem.

But then I cannot access the web interface to get them and my CLI knowlege is highly limited.
Is there no setting or something that tells the Unraid server to append to the logs, not to override them?

1 minute ago, teitur said:

CLI knowlege is highly limited.

Just need to type 'diagnostics', they will be save to the flash drive, /logs folder.

2 minutes ago, teitur said:

Is there no setting or something that tells the Unraid server to append to the logs, not to override them?

You can enable the syslog server, but that won't show if the NIC is being detected on a hardware level, like the diags after that happens.

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/29/2024 at 8:14 PM, trurl said:

That's the reason for syslog server. /var/log is in RAM just like all OS files so doesn't survive reboot.

Get the logs from wherever you have syslog server configured to save them.

Might be useful to post your settings for syslog server.

I have been unable to get a systemlog server to work with Unraid. 
I tried Visual Syslog server on Windows. It never received anything.

But should "mirror syslog to flash" work just the same?
and I have "local syslog rotation" disabled. why was it still overwriting the logs?

But the problem is mute now. This only happens when the computer has had an unscheduled power off. And that seems to be fixed now.

Is it possible to mirror the syslog to an unassigned device?

Would be better then the "weak" USB-Flash...

I've been wondering for years why you can't move/mirror the syslogs to an SSD...

The USB drive is a very bad choice...

Edited by Zonediver
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, Zonediver said:

mirror the syslog to an unassigned device?

The flash drive is the only device that is guaranteed to exist. You can configure syslog server to use a path on an Unassigned Device with the other settings, but flash is the only thing that makes sense for "mirror" since it doesn't require you to set any path.

You're right, it only lets me set it to a user share path. Which is probably better anyway since UD devices may not be mounted. And in the more general case where you are really sending syslog to a remote server, it has to be a shared path.

Does it work with both NFS and SMB? Or does it do it some other way?

13 minutes ago, trurl said:

You're right, it only lets me set it to a user share path. Which is probably better anyway since UD devices may not be mounted. And in the more general case where you are really sending syslog to a remote server, it has to be a shared path.

Does it work with both NFS and SMB? Or does it do it some other way?

I wanted to use a <custom> path which would point to a device I mounted via the ‘go’ file and unmounted via the ‘stop’ file.    This would have been ideal as it would stay available all the time Unraid was running irrespective of array status.