Capture Syslog Server to Flash

Really wanted to avoid having to start a new topic for this but my server has been crashing for weeks now and I can't seem to figure out why I'm unable to capture my syslog server to flash. I've enabled "Mirror syslog to flash:" in settings. However, when I download the logs folder from my flash drive and unzip the "tower-diagnostics-xxx.zip" the "syslog.txt" file is empty. Am I missing something obvious here? 

Thank you! 

6 hours ago, skunk said:

what am i missing here? See attached. There is nothing in my "media" folder and no logs being written to /logs folder in the flash.

Screenshot 2024-03-20 at 8.21.57 PM.png

in this screenshot the server is enabled to ‘listen’ but you have not set at least one of the last two fields which are required to actually make it start writing anything.

4 minutes ago, trurl said:

Do you have a current flash backup?

Yes! I did a full back up on the 15th of March and changed to a new flash drive. I also upgraded to 6.12. I just checked my backup and I can see there is a syslog file in there. 

Looks like you have an FSCK file on flash. That file happens when a file is corrupt. Whatever can be guessed about its contents gets put into FSCK. Was that file also on your backup?

Reboot and see if syslog works. If not, maybe something important got corrupted on flash.

Your config folder from your backup is all you need to get your configuration on a new install. Maybe you already know since you changed flash drives.

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Looks like you have an FSCK file on flash. That file happens when a file is corrupt. Whatever can be guessed about its contents gets put into FSCK. Was that file also on your backup?

Yes

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Reboot and see if syslog works. If not, maybe something important got corrupted on flash.

Tried that. no luck

1 hour ago, trurl said:

Your config folder from your backup is all you need to get your configuration on a new install. Maybe you already know since you changed flash drives.

Wiped the key and made a new instance using USB flash creator. Copied the backed up "config" folder over when complete. Seem to be having the same issue. Nothing currently being written to the logs folder on the flash, i've also enabled the local syslog to write to a share on the array and nothing being written there. Is there a way to "reinstall" the syslog server

• 3 weeks later...

No luck in SAFE mode. Nothing is being output to the flash drive and tail -f /var/log/syslog doesn't output anything. How can I get my syslog back? What drastic measures might I have to take? The server has been randomly rebooting every 5-7 days and without a syslog I can't troubleshoot this issue. 

THank you! 

On 4/11/2024 at 8:52 AM, JorgeB said:

Post the output of

ls -lh /var/log

root@Tower:~# ls -lh /var/log
total 96K
-rw------- 1 root   root    0 Feb 15 17:12 btmp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr 28  2021 cron
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr 28  2021 debug
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root  84K Apr 11 21:23 dmesg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root 2.1K Apr 12 06:02 docker.log
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Feb 13  2021 faillog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr  7  2000 lastlog
drwxr-xr-x 4 root   root  140 Apr 12 06:02 libvirt/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr 28  2021 maillog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr 11 21:23 mcelog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr 28  2021 messages
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root   40 Aug 10  2022 nfsd/
drwxr-x--- 2 nobody root   60 Apr 11 21:23 nginx/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   24 Feb 15 17:11 packages -> ../lib/pkgtools/packages/
drwxr-xr-x 5 root   root  100 Apr 11 21:23 pkgtools/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root  280 Apr 11 21:23 plugins/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root   60 Apr 11 21:23 preclear/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root   40 Apr 12 06:02 pwfail/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   25 Feb 15 17:12 removed_packages -> pkgtools/removed_packages/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   24 Feb 15 17:12 removed_scripts -> pkgtools/removed_scripts/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   34 Apr 11 21:23 removed_uninstall_scripts -> pkgtools/removed_uninstall_scripts/
drwxr-xr-x 2 root   root   40 Jan 30  2023 sa/
drwxr-xr-x 3 root   root  300 Apr 11 21:23 samba/
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   23 Feb 15 17:11 scripts -> ../lib/pkgtools/scripts/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr 28  2021 secure
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root   root   21 Feb 15 17:11 setup -> ../lib/pkgtools/setup/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr 28  2021 spooler
drwxr-xr-x 3 root   root   60 Sep 26  2022 swtpm/
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr 28  2021 syslog
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr 11 21:22 vfio-pci
-rw-r--r-- 1 root   root    0 Apr 11 21:22 vfio-pci-errors
-rw-rw-r-- 1 root   utmp 6.8K Apr 11 21:23 wtmp
root@Tower:~#