Losing all network access to Unraid server

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

Twice now I have lost all network access to my Unraid web interface, ssh & all VMs/Containers. The network switch shows the interface is physically connected when plugged in (and unconnected when I unplug the ethernet cable) but the only way I can recover is with a hard reset, which of course causes the array to run a parity check. I'm very new to Unraid, I can't find any error or warning other then the array parity check after booting back up. This has happened now twice within 4 days. How can/should I dig into the cause?

1 minute ago, Matt Elias said:

Reading the last paragraph in this screenshot leads me to believe that any helpful diagnostic data is lost after I reboot, which I have to do to get local or remote access to Unraid after it locks up.

That is the whole point of the syslog server - it allows for the syslog entries leading up to a crash to be captured.   The paragraph refers to cases where you have a problem that has NOT caused a lockup/crash

• 2 weeks later...
  • Solution

There are Macvlan call traces logged, and they will usually end up crashing the server, switching to ipvlan should fix it (Settings -> Docker Settings -> Docker custom network type -> ipvlan (advanced view must be enabled, top right)), then reboot.

14 hours ago, JorgeB said:

There are Macvlan call traces logged, and they will usually end up crashing the server, switching to ipvlan should fix it (Settings -> Docker Settings -> Docker custom network type -> ipvlan (advanced view must be enabled, top right)), then reboot.

I don't recall changing that, is it the default? I've changed it to ipvlan now, thanks.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/8/2024 at 8:54 AM, JorgeB said:

So far so good after 22 days uptime.

Unfortunately there's nothing relevant logged, this can be a hardware issue, one thing you can try is to boot the server in safe mode with all docker containers/VMs disabled, let it run as a basic NAS for a few days, if it still crashes it's likely a hardware problem, if it doesn't start turning on the other services one by one.