Unmountable Drive After Rebuild

Go to solution Solved by JorgeB,

UnRAID removed two drives from my array because of performance problems.

I replaced both with "refurbs".  I restarted the array, and one of the drives dropped out again during the rebuild.  I let the rebuild finish, expecting to restore one of the drives.

Now, I'm seeing both of those drives listed as "Unmountable", even though all but one of the drives appears to be back in operation.

Did I just rebuild my parity and lose the data on my drives?  One of the drives was dumping so many "power on reset" errors that my log doesn't go back to start of the array rebuild.

image.thumb.png.09c2565998604d5a88d7b270f6a58882.png

Edited by bithoarder
Posted (edited)
On 8/23/2024 at 3:59 AM, JorgeB said:

Replace cables for disk4 and post new diags after array start.

The cable was delayed.  New diagnostics are attached.

I'm pretty sure I did this wrong, and rebuilt the parity instead of the drives.

Thanks for looking!

EDIT:  I might actually be okay, data wise.  It's showing that Drive 4 is emulated, but it's no longer showing the two drives as unformatted.  Unfortunately, I need to head out for a couple of hours, but I'm more optimistic now.

ood-diagnostics-20240825-1619.zip

Edited by bithoarder
2 hours ago, JorgeB said:

It usually takes a few seconds/minutes.

It took me a little while to figure out how to do this... I almost did it from a prompt, but when I saw the UI element in the Device Settings, I understood.

Disk 4:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... writing modified primary superblock Phase 2 - using internal log - zero log... ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to be replayed. Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before re-running xfs_repair. If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair. Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount of the filesystem before doing this.

Disk 13:

Phase 1 - find and verify superblock... writing modified primary superblock Phase 2 - using internal log - zero log... ERROR: The filesystem has valuable metadata changes in a log which needs to be replayed. Mount the filesystem to replay the log, and unmount it before re-running xfs_repair. If you are unable to mount the filesystem, then use the -L option to destroy the log and attempt a repair. Note that destroying the log may cause corruption -- please attempt a mount of the filesystem before doing this.

Posted (edited)
25 minutes ago, JorgeB said:

Disk should mount now, look for a lost+find folder.

I'd like to be sure that I'm following this.  The disk hasn't been reporting as "unmountable or unformatted" for a while.

Disk 13 appears to be active in the array, and Disk 4 is emulated.  The array is still in maintenance mode.

What should I do next?

image.thumb.png.f2ed260e1e26dd443eb548abe77b4642.png

Edited by bithoarder
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, itimpi said:

@bithoarder Do you have either of the original drives still intact?     If do they may provide another option for data recovery.

I do... I haven't checked them yet. 

I've been kind of afraid to know, and wanted to get everything else protected, first.

Thank you for mentioning it.

I'm not really sure I've lost anything at the moment.  At least some missing files reappeared after the restart.

Edited by bithoarder
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, JorgeB said:

I don't see a lost+found share, so the data should be OK for both repaired filesystems, but if you still have old disk4, you can mount it with UD to compare contents.

Thank you again for your help... I'm not really sure where to go from here, and I want to tread lightly - especially since I don't fully understand what the repairs actually did.

My guess is that I'm ready to try to bring Drive 4 back online?  Another 14TB drive arrived today, but I'm thinking the first one may be okay, after the recabling(?)

Edited by bithoarder
  • bithoarder changed the title to Unmountable Drive After Rebuild