Couple hardware questions re unRAID 3.0

First off, I'm really happy to see SATA support there now!  :)

I'd pretty much given up on this product as my server is SATA-based and I really wanted the spin up/down function.

Anyway,

1) I'm using a Gigabyte GA-K8VT800-Pro M/Board. I 'think' the specs match the requirements listed on the new site, but I don't know for sure. Is this board OK for unRAID use?

2) I currently have 2 x Promise SATA300 TX4 SATA controller cards. This card IS listed as being supported by unRAID, but is unRAID OK with 2 of them in the same system?

Thanks for your time...

EDIT: While I'm here - I cannot source your preferred hotswap cases here (I think they were Cremax?) so I've used Promise Superswap 1100's instead. Will they work with UnRAID OK?

Looking over the manual for that m/b...

Uses Realtek RTL8110S chip. Going to Realtek's download site, they want us to use the RTL8169 driver.  This driver is built into the 3.0-beta1 kernel, so it should work.

Uses VIA8237 SATA chip. Well linux supports this chip, but we didn't include it in the 3.0-beta1 release.

So... I'll make you a deal: if you download unRAID Server Basic onto a Flash and get it to boot off that m/b, and the network i/f seems to work, then I'll build a kernel for you to test how well SATA work with that m/b... deal?

Tom,

First off....sheesh!!! Do you actually sleep??!!!  :o

Second - I really appreciate the offer, but given there are only 2 SATA ports on the M/Board I actually hadn't planned to use them. Is that going to save you some work?

I had actually planned on just using a couple of Promise SATA300 TX4 cards to manage my SATA drives. I know that only leaves me with a maximum of ten drives, but I'd planned to solely use 500Gb drives so....

However, if you'd like me to do some testing for you I'd be happy to oblige. Just say the word.  :)

Roscoe and Tom,

I'm having serious trouble finding a board over here in the UK that is still available and can actually be bought, that fits the spec.  It looks like I can get my hands on this board so please, please, please, let me/this bbs know if this works out?  (also, Roscoe/Tom, does this actually indeed fit the spec? (boot off USB & GigE on seperate bus to discs?))

Thanks,

Matt <who really wants unRaid but just can't find the parts!! :( >

Actually, getting one of those isn't looking that easy either! :(

Tom, you say the Realtek is supported on 3.0-beta1 but it doesn't mention this in the Hardware Compatibility List (http://www.lime-technology.com/wordpress/?page_id=17) :confused: ???

Are there any other devices that are supported (currently) that are not listed? (as I said, I'm having trouble finding any board that is currently available that fits the bill!).  Is it a reasonably simple task to add device drivers to cover specific hardware (i.e. do you have to do it), and if they exist on the distro, does the O/S auto detect and use them?

Any chance you could find time to pick out a current board that would work that new people to the fold, could use?  I'll fire off a mail to some of the board manufacturers and see if I can get them to suggest a board that fits the spec and see what they come up with (if I even get a response, are you interested in it/them?).

Cheers,

Matt.

The only "non-disclosed" network device support is for Realtek GigE.  We didn't include it in the hardware compatibility list because we haven't tested it yet (no m/b in house with that chip).  We included it because Realtek is popular esp. with AMD-based m/b's (which we also don't have any of).

Can you get the Asus P5GDC-V Deluxe m/b? Looks promising.

Tom,

I plan on trying this is MOBO out soon and I will let you know the results. When I originally ordered my start-kit from you, you sent me an extra flash drive by request of the original OS because of the issues we were having... I will upgrade that flash to 706 and I will report my findings or if I need help :)  I have a thermaltake armor case which is housing that MOBO and that case would work great for a second unRaid server!!

This does actually bring up a valid point.

Apart from the handful of Intel boards specifically mentioned in the Server Management pages (which seem to be VERY hard to find now) it seems difficult to identify motherboards that are specifically supported by unRAID.

I'm happy to go ahead and run some tests with my current motherboard but, if for some reason the operation proves unreliable, then I will need to change my motherboards to something that will work. The problem is that, right now, I don't know what that is.

The Hardware compatibility page lists the various controller chipsets that have been tested, but I'm finding great difficulty in finding motherboards that match what is required. I wonder whether it's worth opening a new thread to find out what motherboards have been used in unRAID systems and work reliably. It seems to me that getting the right motherboard is the key to ensuring compatibility with unRAID.

Just thinking out loud here...

The only "non-disclosed" network device support is for Realtek GigE.  We didn't include it in the hardware compatibility list because we haven't tested it yet (no m/b in house with that chip).  We included it because Realtek is popular esp. with AMD-based m/b's (which we also don't have any of).

Tom, theoretically, you can just about get that board over here, but it seems to be very difficult and most places still list it but it is out of stock.  It looks like it's pretty much end of line :(

These boards also look like they *might* fit the bill? (ASUS P5PE-VM, ASUS P5LD2-VM SE, ASUS P5L-MX, ASUS P5LD2-VM/C).  Tom, do you support the Intel ICHx chipsets that most (Intel based) possible boards seem to have? (I've got a feeling you do but it's not listed on your HCL)  Also, it seems that most/many current boards are using the NForce4 chipset - would it be a lot of work to support that also?  Reading this thread (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51.0), it sounds like you have to compile various drivers into the Kernel (Linux/Unix v.basic user here!) for them to be available on the USB boot?  If that true or can we add these ourselves to try various motherboards without hassling you?

I have also fired off a mail to Gigabyte, Asus and Abit with the criteria and asking if they can supply a board that fits - it's a long shot and I doubt I'll hear back from them, but it's worth a shot!

My USB drive should be here any day now so then I'll *really* be itching to get my hands on a board!!  As soon as I can prove the concept, I'll be purchasing the s/w (even though I don't even need the 6 drive support yet, I feel I should send some money your way if I'm using a working unRaid solution!! :) )

Cheers,

Matt :)

I'm with you guys :-( I had no trouble finding the Intel board months ago CHEAP but now they are just about impossible to find. I seem to recall they were used in some Dell or Compaq machnies that were dirt cheap but can no longer find that info to hunt them on EBAY. Looking over the various hardware sites it's REAL hard to figure out what's what and CPU hardware is moving faster and faster leaving alot of this hardware in the dust. Since I'm going to be building a second array myself I too am lost as to what to do for hardware. The "free trial version will hopefully help sort this out but right now I've got nothing around I'd be willing to dedicate to this - I've got to buy new and have nothing around to test....

Hi all,

I have taken a look at the Asus P5PE-VM motherboard manual and it appears that you might be able to boot off of a USB Flash Drive.

Can anyone cooborate what I have found?

The P5PE-VM is a micro ATX form factor and only requires a 20 pin power supply cable plus the usual four pin cable.

It also has built-in video, the Intel 865G chip set and the Marvell 10/100/1000 chip set that Tom supports.

Newegg.com has these motherboard for a little over $50 plus shipping.

What do you think Tom? Might this motherboard be a good replacement for the Intel D865GLCK motherboard?

Regards,

TCIII

I have been following unraid for months.  With the SATA upgrade and dwindling disk space it was time to get my feet wet.  I just installed the P5PE-VM tonight.  You can definately boot from USB.  Trying to get things set up now (Mixed SATA and IDE). Give me a day or two and I will have more. 

These boards also look like they *might* fit the bill? (ASUS P5PE-VM, ASUS P5LD2-VM SE, ASUS P5L-MX, ASUS P5LD2-VM/C).  Tom, do you support the Intel ICHx chipsets that most (Intel based) possible boards seem to have? .....

Matt:

Just got back to thread and read your dilemma, I have the ASUS P5PE-VE up and running w/original Flash (706) & Promise TX100 Ultra, have not tried SATA yet (no reason - 6-8 PATA Drives & only 1 filled thus far).  USB Key worked immediately, though its interesting that BIOS wants to change to any other drive if Promise or other Device is installed.  Aside from minor irritation of having to reset the "boot device" the Board has been sweet now that it operational.  I got mine from NewEgg for 'bout 60**'.  Don't know if that helps, but it does get us out of the dilemma of Intel Only Boards.  If you need settings, let me know.

Dave

These boards also look like they *might* fit the bill? (ASUS P5PE-VM, ASUS P5LD2-VM SE, ASUS P5L-MX, ASUS P5LD2-VM/C).  Tom, do you support the Intel ICHx chipsets that most (Intel based) possible boards seem to have? .....

Matt:

Just got back to thread and read your dilemma, I have the ASUS P5PE-VE up and running w/original Flash (706) & Promise TX100 Ultra, have not tried SATA yet (no reason - 6-8 PATA Drives & only 1 filled thus far).  USB Key worked immediately, though its interesting that BIOS wants to change to any other drive if Promise or other Device is installed.  Aside from minor irritation of having to reset the "boot device" the Board has been sweet now that it operational.  I got mine from NewEgg for 'bout 60**'.  Don't know if that helps, but it does get us out of the dilemma of Intel Only Boards.  If you need settings, let me know.

Dave

Dave, when you get a chance, download the 3.0-beta release onto a new Flash and let me know if it appears as a removable device on that m/b.  If so, then you probably won't have to keep going back into bios everytime you add a new disk.

Dave,

Thanks for that.  To cut a (very) long story short, after speaking with Asus and Abit tech support at length (Gigabyte unfortunately declined to respond :( ), I have bought a P5PE-VM (which turned up today).  It is one of the boards you can actually buy here in the UK and it wasn't expensive, GBP40 / USD72 (compared to other likely boards at around GBP150 / USD270 :ouch:!!!).  I'm glad to hear people have also used it and got it working!! :)

Now I just need to get a new PSU 'cos the one I had lined up for the task doesn't appear to be up to the job, so, RATS!, I can't build the box tonight like I had planned to :(  (it's always something ;) )

In case it becomes relevant, what version of the BIOS did your board ship with (or what version did you flash it with, if you had to do that)?

Cheers,

Got one of these boards on order. Newegg has them for under $60 with reasonable shipping. Will order up a case, memory, P/S, CPU etc. later as I don't quite need it YET. I do think I'll go with the 3Gig+ CPU this time. Cheap and not much more than slower ones and watching TOP I sometimes see spikes of usage - not maxxing the CPU but a faster one MIGHT help I hope - can't hurt! :P I'll do 1Gig of memory too, just seems to make sense. Stacker case for sure as the one I have now is awesome. Not sure if I'll do SATA or IDE yet but IDE seems likely <shrug> Appreciate folks trying out and searching for boards!

A little follow up on the Asus P5PE-VM MOBO. 

1. No problem booting from usb. There is no discreet "boot from USB" in the bios.  You have to insert your flash prior to booting and then select the flash drive under the boot menu.  I have two flash drives and strangely one showed up in the boot menu under removable drives and the other under hard disk drives.  Look under both.  They were both inserted into the same USB slot and both worked. 

2.  I am now running unraid basic with two SATA and one IDE drive.  They are all plugged into the MOBO.  In the main menu of the bios under IDE configuration, I am running in enhanced mode with SATA selected. I had a little trouble initially getting unraid to use my two SATA drives.  This was solved easily with the help of Tom (thank you).  Basically, I had to enter the linux reference to the sata disks in the unraid browser window ie. parity device- /dev/scsi/sdh1-1c0i0l0.  Tom said this would be easier to do in the next beta release.  One of my SATA drives is my biggest drive so I am using it for parity. 

3. I am using version 0604 of the bios build date 07/10/06.  There is a Sept 06 version of the bios available but I think you need a floppy drive to flash to this.  With all of the old computer stuff I have lying around I couldn't believe that I couldn't find a floppy drive.  I tried to flash this new bios using the usb flash but no luck.  Fortunately, I didn't mess anything up trying. 

4.  I have done some reads and writes. I use XBMC and tried watching some movies.  I have not added any new disks. 

5. Anyway, I think I am going to really like this setup and will throw some more money at this project.  Time to upgrade to the pro version and order another power supply.  I am currently using the coolermaster 4:3 drive cage for disks. This works well but it is kind of a pain to move disks and I see some benefit of drive trays.  I am interested to see what trays people are using for SATA drives.  As far as I can tell, SATA trays are currently a little pricey so may just wait.

Honestly? I'd stick with the 4into3 trays. Yes, it IS harder to swap drives but frankly I seldom find myself doing that unless it's to upgrade. Trays will likely be louder than three of the 12CM fans, probably won't cool as well, certainly cost ALOT more than the $20 or so for the adapters, and folks have found weird problems with some trays. Much as the ease of use might be nice with a tray when it comes time to swap out drives I cannot brnig myself to do it for the added issues. My current box has 3 4into3 cages and is humming along fine nearly silent (or what passes for silent in my office). My second array will be built much the same way and as cheapply as possible :D

I'd have to agree with BLKMGK on this issue.  I debated on whether to use the drive trays and spend the extra $200+ on them and did.  Now 10  months later I'd have to say I would not do it this way again.  I've had/seen issues with the drive bays, and they are louder.  For the few times I've had to swap the drives I found I had to remove them from the drive bay also.  This ends up being more difficult than just removing a drive.

Save the money, time and headaches of the drive bays and go with the 4in3 solutions.  If you really want them I'd be tempted to sell you mine :)

Regarding the 4-into-3 cages, I understand that these are designed for the "Stacker" case. Do you guys that have them have any opinion how difficult it might be to use these cages in some other case? I'm leaning towards one of the 'cube' style server cases by YeongYang and would like to use them if possible.

Thanks!

-PGPfan

Regarding the 4-into-3 cages, I understand that these are designed for the "Stacker" case. Do you guys that have them have any opinion how difficult it might be to use these cages in some other case? I'm leaning towards one of the 'cube' style server cases by YeongYang and would like to use them if possible.

I've used them successfully in Antec cases in the past.  If you have 3 5/14" drive bays without anything obstructing or separating them, you'll probably be fine.