Allocation method question

Gang,

I have a share set up and the "included disks" is blank, which, my understanding is, means all disks in the array are available for writing.

Split level is 2, and allocation method is high water.

I have a 3TB disk with 600GB free, and a 2TB disk that is totally empty.  I just copied some data to the share, and the data went straight to the 3TB disk.

Shouldn't the allocation method have made unraid see more free space on the 2TB disk, and place the data there?

In addition, I noticed that, after adding the 2TB disk to the array, my shares are showing that their free space is the same free space as the 3TB disk on which they were created.  Shouldn't a share show all cumulative available free space available on the array, assuming its configured to use all disks?

The disk I added is spun down and, despite lots of copying and moving of files to various shares, my 3TB disk is the only one getting full.

Gang,

I have a share set up and the "included disks" is blank, which, my understanding is, means all disks in the array are available for writing.

I have a 3TB disk with 600GB free, and a 2TB disk that is totally empty.  I just copied some data to the share, and the data went straight to the 3TB disk.

Shouldn't the allocation method have made unraid see more free space on the 2TB disk, and place the data there?

If you want files to go to the disk with the most free space you should use the Free Space method.  However this can result in several drives being spun up simultaneously if they have similar free space as files are written to them in turn as each one temporarily becomes the one with the most free space.

The High Water mark method is intended to minimise the number of disks that need to be spun up, so it stays working on the same disk until a water mark level is reached, and then switches to another disk.  With your configuration, since the largest disk is 3TB, the initial high water mark is 1.5TB.  UnRAID will keep writing to the 3TB drive until there is 1.5TB free.    At that point it will switch to the 2TB drive until that only has 1.5TB free.  When no disks have 1.5TB free, the watermark level is halved (to 750GB) and then each disk is used in turn until its free space drops to that level.    This process repeats with the watermark being halved each time all disks reach that level.

It therefore sounds to me as the behaviour you are seeing is what you should expect for the setting you have used.

With Split level = 2, where the data is put is also dependent upon where in relation to the existing folder structure you placed the additional data.  To put it on the original drive may be correct in some circumstances.

So if I am using Split Level 2 and Highwater, and have a 3TB disk that is 75% full and a 2TB disk that is empty, this is correct?  The share is called "bob" and inside bob are three folders, on of which is "My Documents" which contains about 300k files and hundreds of directories.

Also, there is a share called "Media" and in it are folders called Movies, TV Shows, and Music.  Again, this is only being located on the 3TB disk... Split Level 2.

There is less that 1.5TB of space left on the 3TB drive, so I assumed unraid would be copying some data to the 2TB disk now.

Archived