Newznab

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BLKMGK, when you've ironed out the kinks, would you be able to post a noob friendly step by step on the entire process, from start to finish please?

I'd love to have an indexer running on my unRAID server (especially after the sad news on NZBMatrix), but even with the guides you posted links for, i'm not linux savvy enough to figure out the problems you've come up against so far  :-\

Thanks a lot,

Rich

I have so many releases with a crapload of scrambled letters, numbers, etc that there is no way of knowing what they are.  Does everyone else see this as well?  Most end up in the Misc catagory.  Of course I do have the releases with normal titles as well... but figure allot of the really good stuff is burried in the garbled releases.  :-\

I found that by using START and letting the Nix_Script run, that most errors will work themselves out as the new regex files are released.  But all the garbled release titles are still annoying me.

I still get new releases but I just want to know what the errors mean or if they are normal.

Edit: Spoke with a dev of NN and he said it was normal.

As far as garbled releases I do have a lot of them, but since I let CP or SB get my stuff I don't really care as they will search for the correct file name. It just dosen't look pretty when I log into the site. It would be nice if there was a way to correct this.

I'm almost there, running quite stable for two days, indexing a few groups (7) and running the init newznab.sh script. So everything is pretty much automated without screen.

I'm only missing how to autotart the sphinx daemon (./nnindexer.php daemon).

Any hints?

PS: running a VM in ESXi with 50GB HDD, 4GB RAM and 4 cores. I know this is too much, but I don't to run into issues because of lack of resources :-)

I'm almost there, running quite stable for two days, indexing a few groups (7) and running the init newznab.sh script. So everything is pretty much automated without screen.

I'm only missing how to autotart the sphinx daemon (./nnindexer.php daemon).

Any hints?

PS: running a VM in ESXi with 50GB HDD, 4GB RAM and 4 cores. I know this is too much, but I don't to run into issues because of lack of resources :-)

As far as auto starting, I wonder if you could point a symbolic link or create a new file in /etc/init.d? Wouldn't that auto start with the server?

My understanding is that the garbled releases are likely posts done by private groups and the group has a private lookup table. The garbled names keep the DMCA at bay.

There should be a way to filter those out. But how....

what exactly is the benefit of running newznab via the init script?

To be honest, I don't know if there are any actual benefits. It runs in a row:

• update_binaries.php
  • update_releases.php
  • update_predb.php true
  • optimise_db.php
  • update_tvschedule.php
  • update_theaters.php

It then waits 10min (you can modify this value) and starts all over again. I don't know about the cron jobs some are using because I haven't use them. About the default screen script "newznab_screen.sh", it does pretty much the same, although you have to actually run it.

I use the init because it runs automatically. That's the only reason. I use a dedicated server that reboots automatically on security updates. I never have to worry whether newznab is running, because it is. I can close the console and putty terminal without worrying whether I connected or disconnected screen. Basically, it's a self-running server.

The only thing I'm missing is a low HDD space mail warning (almost there) and how to start sphinx automatically on reboot. I can then forget about it, which it's the actual purpose or running a server, isn't it?

As far as auto starting, I wonder if you could point a symbolic link or create a new file in /etc/init.d? Wouldn't that auto start with the server?

Well, FWIW, I'm a linux noob. i know I should create a script, copy it to init.d, make it executable and update rc. the question is: what goes in the script  :D?

BLKMGK, when you've ironed out the kinks, would you be able to post a noob friendly step by step on the entire process, from start to finish please?

I'd love to have an indexer running on my unRAID server (especially after the sad news on NZBMatrix), but even with the guides you posted links for, i'm not linux savvy enough to figure out the problems you've come up against so far  :-\

Thanks a lot,

Rich

Honestly? Once I got it going I have left it alone and only tweaked things from the web GUI. Truly there was nothing about this install that required really specific Linux knowledge. If I were doing this again I would skip trying Percona, I would use Apache, and I would skip Sphinx. Currently I run a pretty straightforward setup in an ESX VM (and I'd do this in a VM for sure). I have Apache and MySQL running fine. I start my script in a terminal window running screen manually and I don't background it - I just watch the data scroll by whenever I want to check on it. It's using about 20Gig or space or so which isn't bad. I do run it as root using Sudo which is maybe the only Linux trick needed. Seriously, grab a VM software package like VirtualBox (free) and a Linux ISO file. Load the Linux distro in the VM and start playing. As you run into specific issues folks can help guide you. I will admit that I like Ubuntu but prefer an older Ubuntu like 11.10 vs 12.x and if I were less versed in Linux I might use one of the Mint releases simply because I think the new new Interface Ubuntu is shipping with is awful and difficult. We've all been newbs of Linux or other software and the best way to learn it is to jump in and play. This is all free software but I would recommend donating for NewzNab at least as it's a better version if you pay. If I wrote something up it would probably not be a whole lot different than the articles I linked. The only thing that could be done more easily would be to build a VM and post it somewhere but damned if I know where something like that could be easily hosted unless I put it up on something like PirateBay! One thing to consider - a member here has mentioned being willing to allow access to his system for a minimal fee. That might be worth looking into to avoid building your own setup but I really think maybe learning to fish vs being fed might be useful to you - it's a good excuse to learn something about Linux if nothing else.

As for the random number releases, I see them too. Apparently certain web forums post these. However if you go into the details of the release using the web gui you can see what files are in them. So far it looks like p0rn and TV shows in German or Dutch. It would be nice if we could index inside of RAR files! If we could do that we could see these files and filter them etc. pretty easily...

I have so many releases with a crapload of scrambled letters, numbers, etc that there is no way of knowing what they are.  Does everyone else see this as well?  Most end up in the Misc catagory.  Of course I do have the releases with normal titles as well... but figure allot of the really good stuff is burried in the garbled releases.  :-\

There are a couple other scripts that can help..

First, need to setup unrar and then in setup specify where unrar is, and also setup for deep dive password checking.

Then supposedly the  ./misc/testing/update_parsing.php script should help look into nfo & the rar files to try and help make out the garbled ones.  just add that to your newznab_local.sh script to run each time.

There are also other scripts in the ./misc/testing directory that might help.

need to do the setup myself, but supposedly from the irc chat, that is the only/best way to try and figure out the garbled releases

First, need to setup unrar and then in setup specify where unrar is, and also setup for deep dive password checking.

Then supposedly the  ./misc/testing/update_parsing.php script should help look into nfo & the rar files to try and help make out the garbled ones.  just add that to your newznab_local.sh script to run each time.

need to do the setup myself, but supposedly from the irc chat, that is the only/best way to try and figure out the garbled releases

There are a lot of scripts in the testing folder. It would be nice if they had a list of what they did so we can choose to run them. I'm already using the importmodified from there which is great but that's only because I read about it on a blog.

I have so many releases with a crapload of scrambled letters, numbers, etc that there is no way of knowing what they are.  Does everyone else see this as well?  Most end up in the Misc catagory.  Of course I do have the releases with normal titles as well... but figure allot of the really good stuff is burried in the garbled releases.  :-

There are a lot of scripts in the testing folder. It would be nice if they had a list of what they did so we can choose to run them. I'm already using the importmodified from there which is great but that's only because I read about it on a blog.

What does it do? Do you have the link to that blog?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

http://www.tiag.me/category/newznab/ has several posts regarding newznab.

I have irc open to the newznab support channel & I scan what is being discussed from time to time. They have linked to several of the postings on this site. The most popular link seems to be How to backfill newznab safely without bloating your database.

http://www.tiag.me/category/newznab/ has several posts regarding newznab.

I have irc open to the newznab support channel & I scan what is being discussed from time to time. They have linked to several of the postings on this site. The most popular link seems to be How to backfill newznab safely without bloating your database.

That was the blog I was talking about. I think it's the blog of one of the main dev's from NN.

I also do what you're doing by keeping IRC open and scanning the channel though. I'll post things that I find useful here so at least we can go back to find it if someone needs it, otherwise it gets lost in IRC.

I asked in IRC if there was a list with descriptions anywhere of the scripts in the newznab/misc/testing/ directory. The responses were that "some" of them had descriptions inside the files themselves, but currently no list off all.

Another thing from IRC; a different setup guide for Ubuntu 12.04 using Percona & NGINX (instead of mysql & apache like the howtogeek guide). This guide also has a section for "Optionals installs. (ffmpeg, x264, mediainfo, sphinx, lame, unrar)". The details for sphinx are in a link on the left column of the page instead of at the bottom with "Configure Newznab" like the other optionals are (was told this is due to how many people have issues configuring sphinx).

https://sites.google.com/site/1204nnplus/home

The howtogeek newznab guide worked for me when I installed my VM, so I did not move away from my apache & mysql... I did like that this guide seemed more thorough continuing on with how to install the optionals. I used the instructions from this google guide to reinstall ffmpeg, x264, mediainfo, lame & unrar over the ones I previously installed (& it worked nicely).