Newznab

Another thing from IRC; a different setup guide for Ubuntu 12.04 using Percona & NGINX (instead of mysql & apache like the howtogeek guide). This guide also has a section for "Optionals installs. (ffmpeg, x264, mediainfo, sphinx, lame, unrar)". The details for sphinx are in a link on the left column of the page instead of at the bottom with "Configure Newznab" like the other optionals are (was told this is due to how many people have issues configuring sphinx).

https://sites.google.com/site/1204nnplus/home

The howtogeek newznab guide worked for me when I installed my VM, so I did not move away from my apache & mysql... I did like that this guide seemed more thorough continuing on with how to install the optionals. I used the instructions from this google guide to reinstall ffmpeg, x264, mediainfo, lame & unrar over the ones I previously installed (& it worked nicely).

Were your optional add ons not working properly? Why the reinstall?

I'll take a look at the files in the testing folder for some descriptions. Thanks.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Were your optional add ons not working properly? Why the reinstall?

I'll take a look at the files in the testing folder for some descriptions. Thanks.

I previously used "apt-get install" in its default settings to install the option programs. They seemed to be working properly before (except sphinx), but I noticed that at least one of them pulled from a different branch of the program (think it was unrar, not sure) than the guide. Since I want (at some point) to install sphinx properly, thought having them all coming from similar locations might help. I have yet to retry sphinx with these instructions, but will soon.

First, need to setup unrar and then in setup specify where unrar is, and also setup for deep dive password checking.

Then supposedly the  ./misc/testing/update_parsing.php script should help look into nfo & the rar files to try and help make out the garbled ones.  just add that to your newznab_local.sh script to run each time.

Where should it go? after the update_releases.php?

First, need to setup unrar and then in setup specify where unrar is, and also setup for deep dive password checking.

Then supposedly the  ./misc/testing/update_parsing.php script should help look into nfo & the rar files to try and help make out the garbled ones.  just add that to your newznab_local.sh script to run each time.

I've modified mine to run right after the complete processing and before sleep. My modified script it here -> http://pastebin.com/yBA0VRR1 and you will want to likely modify the variable up top that says NEWZNAB_TEST_PATH. I cannot say for sure that this is the"proper" way to to do it however it seems best to run this after a bunch of NZB are created as it goes into the database and seems to "correct" them. I am also leaving it to only dive into the specific groups it wanted to and not all of them. I may try testing a deep dive into all but I'm not sure what the results might be! :o It does seem to be doing some work for me though... Now to explore the other scripts  8)

UPDATED the script and changed the Pastebin link. My previous modification had the deep dive code inside of a loop that only ran occasionally and NOT on each pass. I noticed this while exploring the other scripts and finding a table optimize script so I've updated it. I have also switced to using a threaded updater for the newsgroups, this was an existing script and wasn't being used by default.

Note - I'm not sure this deep dive is working correctly still. Each time it runs it seems to find and "correct" some of the same issues so I'm not positive it's changes are sticking :-(

I have mine after the update_release

Has anyone seen the error: Could not select group (bad name?) I've been searching but nothing is coming up with this error, I keep getting this error when I run the update scripts.

Thanks

I've seen this sporadically. From the #newznab irc I heard it happens if the USP either doesn't have that a.b.index or timed out on it.

For those who are a bit lost

http://aceshome.com/newznab/

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

This looks pretty slick - has anyone tried this yet? It seems that all you have to do is install the ISO and it's preconfigured to run newznab...

I've downloaded but not yet tried this. IMO this is an AWESOME idea and would really help some of those who were having issues. I'm not sure I'll have time today to spin it up in a VM but if anyone plays with it PLEASE report back! I'd love to know if it includes a GUI or if it's stripped to just commandline etc. I'm betting it's probably pretty minimal which is honestly all that's needed but might be a little tough for new Linux users to tweak - worth a shot!

Eidt: Whoa! Did you also see this? -> http://aceshome.com/nzbapp/  That is a VM that has SAB, Couch, Headphones, and Sick all installed. Wow, that too could save some time. Heck, I might consider dumping my Win7 VM and run this instead as some of those apps I've got running isn't real stable on Win7.

When I setup newznab, it was on a small VM and most of the storage belongs to /

As I started importing NZBs, I noticed the usage creeping up, so I've temporarily halted the importing (using the modifiedimport script).

How would I go about adding storage to the / mountpoint or creating a /var mountpoint then how to get all the stuff from /var/* to the mountpoint?

know enough unix to be dangerous  :P

For those who are a bit lost

http://aceshome.com/newznab/

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

This looks pretty slick - has anyone tried this yet? It seems that all you have to do is install the ISO and it's preconfigured to run newznab...

I've downloaded but not yet tried this. IMO this is an AWESOME idea and would really help some of those who were having issues. I'm not sure I'll have time today to spin it up in a VM but if anyone plays with it PLEASE report back! I'd love to know if it includes a GUI or if it's stripped to just commandline etc. I'm betting it's probably pretty minimal which is honestly all that's needed but might be a little tough for new Linux users to tweak - worth a shot!

Eidt: Whoa! Did you also see this? -> http://aceshome.com/nzbapp/  That is a VM that has SAB, Couch, Headphones, and Sick all installed. Wow, that too could save some time. Heck, I might consider dumping my Win7 VM and run this instead as some of those apps I've got running isn't real stable on Win7.

I did see that turnkey and I'm hoping to get some time this week to install both of these all-in-ones on my vm. Please let me know if you install them and any advice :)

Has anyone seen the error: Could not select group (bad name?) I've been searching but nothing is coming up with this error, I keep getting this error when I run the update scripts.

Thanks

I've noticed this too. One group times out and then the others following on't get downloaded. Try setting the max messages to a lower value. On the Admin, Edit Site part way down in the Usenet settings.

Okay, I've downloaded and begun the setup of the NewzApp appliance from here -> http://aceshome.com/nzbapp/

Note that this is not Newnab but that he also offers a similar appliance for that as well and I might try it too. My impressions thus far - TurnkeyLinux appliances are pretty neat! Very lightweight, uses little memory or disk space, but can be a little troublesome to setup. I had issues mostly because all of the links reference the hostname so if you don't have a local DNS running (I do) you will run into errors every time it redirects you from a page. All sorts of ports in use including web interfaces right to the host OS to include a commandline shell. I'd be damned wary about exposing this box to the 'net lol! No desktop at all on this puppy, once booted you have a minimal text interface to reboot or configure a few things and that's it. Webmin is used for many things and he has Maraschino loaded for managing Sab, Sick, Couch, etc.

Presently I'm stuck trying to mount unRAID to the OS in order to point my apps to it. If I were loading up Newznab I'd almost certainly be stuck at the same place. I will admit I'm tempted to try that appliance too since my current installation has been giving me hell due to disk size (my fault). I think using something with a full desktop makes tweaking things easier though, not sure I'd enjoy trying to edit and modify various files without my GUI crutch ;) for those trying a new install of Newznab who have the ability to fire up a VM I think it would be worth a shot and the price is right but what you make up for in ease of install you may lose when it comes time to tweak so beware.

The forums he has setup seem very quiet so far but I really think he's created something cool. My request for support on his Newzapps appliance is the first support post but I'm hoping it will be easy for someone with Linux experience to answer. http://aceshome.com/forums/index.php?topic=20.0 I've just never really messed around with mount points before :(

Update: Okay, looks like I've got unRAID mounted using CIFS and Guest as the user! I'm off to the races configuring this appliance, so far so good and I think this is pretty neat. NewzNab may yet be next :D

Ha! Not so fast, SAB won't accept anything that's not under the /home/nzb directory even a symlink. D'oh! Working on figuring this little puzzle out. Grrr!

Crash: there is a current known issue with the puller that works with newznab to apply regex blacklists to releases before they're processed. I have two scripts I have written to scrub my index of 90% of all foreign material, if not more. I haven't made them available yet, but I will likely share on open toes forum soon.

If you would like to gain access to a pretty foreign-less index, invites are still available: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24741

Crash: there is a current known issue with the puller that works with newznab to apply regex blacklists to releases before they're processed. I have two scripts I have written to scrub my index of 90% of all foreign material, if not more. I haven't made them available yet, but I will likely share on open toes forum soon.

If you would like to gain access to a pretty foreign-less index, invites are still available: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=24741

Hey Shat,

I appreciate the offer but I'm splitting my VPS with 3 other people who also rely on newznab for their needs so I can't abandon them. Plus I'm paying for enough things every month that I don't need :)

Writing a regex to catch foreign material might be the way to go. I'll take a look into it.

Edit: If you'd like to post yours it would be appreciated as well, or any other info that will help us  ;D,

Yeah, I'm interested in additional scripts myself and as a fallback I'll likely contact Shat as well in the next few weeks. My system is running pretty good but the data certainly could use some additional grooming! Really though what I most need is reliable TV Show indexing and thus far my system is handling that well enough with few requests falling through to other servers. If I signed up with Shat I expect my load would be pretty light :-)

Shat with takedown occurring the way they are does it make sense to backfill so far? I'm only keeping a few days on my server. Is it possible to keep some groups longer than others?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hey Guys,

Looks like one of the sites added a guide to automate the startup and monitoring of newznab!

https://sites.google.com/site/1204nnplus/optional-configurations

On a side note, does anyone know how to post process the files that are imported by the nzb-import script?

BTW: I'm going to write out what I can find about the files in the testing folder so we have all of the info in one place.