Newznab

What are the risks with running your own indexing server?

What do you consider a threat? If you have your own index you do not rely on someone else to provide the NZB files to you. My server isn't open to the 'net for access, it's only accessible on my internal network. Not sure what your question is addressing...

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since my newznab is on Ubuntu, I just used apt-get for everything.

This is an off-topic question, but I am having trouble finding an answer (google's not being helpful). Typically with apt-get, you can use -y switch to automatically answer yes when installing. My ubuntu server is interpreting -y as a package and causing this error:

root@newz:~# apt-get install –y php5
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package –y
root@newz:~#

It works as intended without the -y... but prompts me to answer Y/n. Not a huge deal, but would appreciate a pm with the answer if anyone knows why this is happening.

Out of curiosity, can you copy and past the below and see if that works?

sudo apt-get install -y php5

What do you consider a threat? If you have your own index you do not rely on someone else to provide the NZB files to you. My server isn't open to the 'net for access, it's only accessible on my internal network. Not sure what your question is addressing...

What do these companies scan for? just the websites? the server? servers pulling the info down?

They DMCA the nzbs on indexing sites requesting they be taken down, same for the headers/usenet servers. Technically if they knew your indexer had a NZB for their content they could send you a DMCA request. But if you are running the server locally on your private network for personal use, how would they know? Dont open your newznab installation up to the web. Plus technically you are doing nothing illegal with the indexer, they can request a DMCA and as long as you comply all is well. That is how sites like nzbmatrix survived for so long. What happened there was the DMCA request was so large it would have been difficult for them to comply fully, and keeping compliance would have been very tough, so they decided to shut down.

Add the site to sickbeard using:

http://myubernzbsite.com

and the api code as that appears on the profile page, not the full link if you cut and paste it.  Then restart sickbeard to have it start working - common with all newznab providers, have to restart mr sick to kick things into action.

Hrm, that link is 404 :( I have added the http://ipaddress for my site to Sick. I'm getting errors in Sick concerning access and I'm seeing the API requests go up so it's trying, we'll see. I've not restarted Sick I don't think.

lol yeah I meant add it using your own server's IP.. was just a filler :)  Also, you HAVE to restart Sickbeard, no option there.. same with any time you add any newznab provider to sickbeard.

I have the following notifications on my admin page: 

1 MySql my.cnf setting group_concat_max_len is too low, should be >= 8192.

2 MySql my.cnf setting max_allowed_packet is too low, should be >= 12582912.

How do I go about changing the MySQL configuration?

What admin page is showing this and where? I'd love to see if I need to tune any of my settings too...

I have the following notifications on my admin page: 

1 MySql my.cnf setting group_concat_max_len is too low, should be >= 8192.

2 MySql my.cnf setting max_allowed_packet is too low, should be >= 12582912.

How do I go about changing the MySQL configuration?

What admin page is showing this and where? I'd love to see if I need to tune any of my settings too...

It will appear on the /admin/ page at the top if newznab detects any issues.

It connects to MySQL on my unRAID. Also, I mounted my /var/www/newznab directory to an UnRAID share. Aside from those 2 things, my install sticks with the howtogeek guide.

My setup has Ubuntu on a small SSD, and media storage on a large HDD.  I've currently got newznab working on the SSD, but in the future, can I install to somewhere besides /var/www/newznab, or will that confuse the other dependent applications?  Any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

Well my server is humming along with this and I've downloaded the bazillion NZB archives out there to add to it. Gigs of NZB is mind blowing when you consider that most if them are under a meg apiece. I think I'm going to be very selective about what I import though. My disk usage is already growing fairly quickly even though I've stopped adding groups and I don't think it's my logs doing it. I'm only going to be keeping a few days worth of headers, not sure if the NZB get purged or not in the same rolling window? Retaining NZB in something like say TV would be nice but not really others I think. I'd like to figure out how to blacklist foreign language stuff, that would help for sure. All in all setting this up was a really good move rather than relying on sites that are falling like leaves. It can be good for the bandwidth bill of the Usenet servers and has to be hurting ISP too :-(

... I'd like to figure out how to blacklist foreign language stuff, that would help for sure. ...

Here is the blacklist to activate to not have foreign language stuff:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=8762.msg214875#msg214875

Ah thank you! as for my disk growing, according to the VM I'm using quite a bit less than the ESX server says. I think what has happened is that  disk has been used for say temp files and then given back but because of how I've setup the disk for this server it shows as having been used when not actively in use. I did find some large temp files from crashed archive manager sessions using the disk usage analyzer so that too was helpful. Glad I checked using the OS in the VM vs just relying on what ESX was reporting as that's a load off my mind. I also have lowered my retention some, it was as high as 10 days and I don't think that makes sense.  :o

@woodpush edit your my.cnf and add the line(s) under your [mysqld] section I believe it's labeled.

Type: find / -name my.cnf

Then edit the file path it gives back

I'm having trouble editing this file.  I found only one instance of it in my etc directory.  When I stop Mysql and edit the file, then restart Mysql, the file reverts to it's original settings.  I've crashed the data base several times importing nzbs (100 at a time using the modified import script) and have to re-install Newznab. I'm sure these settings are the reason.  BTW is there any way to recover after Newznab crashes its database?  I've tried restarting Mysql, rebooting the server, but ended up re-installing and in the process  losing all data. Thanks for your help. 

@woodpush edit your my.cnf and add the line(s) under your [mysqld] section I believe it's labeled.

I'm having trouble editing this file.  I found only one instance of it in my etc directory.  When I stop Mysql and edit the file, then restart Mysql, the file reverts to it's original settings.  I've crashed the data base several times importing nzbs (100 at a time using the modified import script) and have to re-install Newznab. I'm sure these settings are the reason.  BTW is there any way to recover after Newznab crashes its database?  I've tried restarting Mysql, rebooting the server, but ended up re-installing and in the process  losing all data. Thanks for your help.

I believe you are modifying the cnf file that is stored in ram. Once restarted, it gets overwritten.

See the following post on how to modify the actual or get around it by copying your custom file over the ram version of my.cnf: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18417.msg167247#msg167247

I believe you are modifying the cnf file that is stored in ram. Once restarted, it gets overwritten.

See the following post on how to modify the actual or get around it by copying your custom file over the ram version of my.cnf: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=18417.msg167247#msg167247

Thanks, you pointed me in the right direction. .  Since I installed Mysql using the plugin, I checked the plugin and it stated that if a my.cfn file was in the plugin's configuration directory in the boot directory, it would copy that file over to the etc directory.  I copied an edited version of the my.cfn file to the boot directory and it is copied to ram upon installation.

Newznab is happy now, let's see if it avoids crashing the database.

Hello everyone, I've been following these posts and they have been very helpful, but now I'm stuck, I have newznab+ install on ubuntu 12.04, and I installed 2.0.5, and I ran ./nnindexer.php index full all but I keep getting this error: Starting sh: 1: /usr/bin/searchd/indexer: not found

Update of 'releases' complete. I haven't been able to find anything on this error, anyone got any clues? Also I've been reading the documentation and they talk about running this script win_scriptsrunme.bat so it runs automatically. How do I configure it run automatically?

Thanks everyone

I have newznab install and fairly stable after installing several times. I have imported some nzbs and I am getting close to actually using it. I see the releases and can download the nzb file.

My question is how do I enable sabnzb integration so that I can click on the link and have it sent to sab for download?

My question is how do I enable sabnzb integration so that I can click on the link and have it sent to sab for download?

Under Admin / Edit Site; scroll down to SABnzbd Integration Settings.

Determine if you want user or site wide.

Enter the URL to SAB & your API key (SAB has 2 keys, pick one & let it know which kind of key it is)

The rest I left blank & it works for me.

Thanks I worked that out about 10min after posting. Now another question. I enabled the blacklist but quite a few no English releases are getting in. How do I edit the blacklist so I dont get Dung che sai duk  for example.

Admin >View Blacklist, click edit link on right side, add a pipe "|" at the end & some of the words you don't want.

For example, if you are seeing releases with the word "dung",

german|danish|flemish|dutch|french|swedish|swesub|deutsch|nl\.?sub|norwegian|\.ita\.|dung