What is unraid's screen resolution?

What is the screen resolution of unraid once its booted and in console? 800x600?

80X24  (24 rows of 80 characters per row).  It is not a graphics display but plain text only.  (If you are young enough, you may never have seen such an animal before.)  However, I have never come across a monitor which would not display it properly.   

What is the screen resolution of unraid once its booted and in console? 800x600?

80X24  (24 rows of 80 characters per row).  It is not a graphics display but plain text only.  (If you are young enough, you may never have seen such an animal before.)  However, I have never come across a monitor which would not display it properly. 

I've seen some LCDs cut off characters at the edges, but this can generally be overcome by adjusting the screen settings with the monitor buttons.

OK, the problem is: I have my server near my HTPC which is connected to a AV Receiver then to the TV via HDMI.

I thought it would be great to quickly switch the receiver to PC input and see whats going on on the server via the TV.

HTPC - [HDMI] - AV-Receiver

|------> [HDMI] TV

Unraid - [VGA] - AV-Receiver

But that did not work. I tried all kinds of resolutions with VGA on windows and 800x600 worked for example. It also does not show the bios loading screen...

Can I do anything about that, maybe change some graphic settings in unraid to force a resolution?

Your problem is with HDMI.  HDMI is DESIGNED to prevent the display of any POSSIBLE pirated material using an HDMI connection.  The VGA output is one of those which will be not be passed through in most cases.  (800X600 is not considered a HD signal and that is probably the reason it gets displayed for you.)

I would suggest that you get a VGA/SVGA cable and connect your server directly to to the display device--- Most have a VGA input.  Monoprice.com sells a 10' VGA/SVGA cable for $4.03 and a 15' cable for $5.72.  If you have a DVI video connections on both your computer and Display device, you could get a 10' cable for $7.71 and 15' for $10.16.

The Receiver can convert non digital VGA signals to HDMI, Windows XP worked on the same machine. Sad that it cannot do that with unraid video mode :-P

Thanks Frank, I think I will stick with your suggestion... It just would have been nice to have it all on one box and just switch the inputs to see what its doing :)

The Receiver can convert non digital VGA signals to HDMI, Windows XP worked on the same machine. Sad that it cannot do that with unraid video mode :-P

As already stated, unRAID does not have a video mode.  It uses whatever your video hardware uses for the standard text display modes (many systems map the 80x25 characters onto a 640x480 style VGA raster since that is one of the "lowest common denominator" settings permitted by PC monitors).  If it isn't displayed via your set up, then that really is not unRAID's fault.

As a suggestion, does your TV have a VGA input that you could use?  This may be more flexible in what it will show on the screen than by using the HDMI input.

As already stated, unRAID does not have a video mode.  It uses whatever your video hardware uses for the standard text display modes (many systems map the 80x25 characters onto a 640x480 style VGA raster since that is one of the "lowest common denominator" settings permitted by PC monitors).  If it isn't displayed via your set up, then that really is not unRAID's fault.

As a suggestion, does your TV have a VGA input that you could use?  This may be more flexible in what it will show on the screen than by using the HDMI input.

Actually, it can get quite complex depending exactly on what the video card and monitor are.  These two devices can have the ability to communicate with each other and can often 'figure out' what video resolution modes are supported.  In these cases, the video card will only send signals in the supported modes.  Many monitors still support the ancient 80X24 character mode that predates the PC by a good ten years--- Think of the old 'data terminals' that connected to big main frame IBM computers or their smaller DEC counterparts.

In any case, unRAId only uses the character mode.  It just fires ASCII characters into the video card and expects the card to know what to do with them.  There is no provision for any type of GUI interface in the underlying Linux operating system.  (It is an add-on and LimeTech has chosen not to include it as a part of the build as it is really not needed.)  The pretty Web interface is an addon and most of the work is done by your PC and web browser using the HTML language.

Thank you for that explanation Frank!

I have now connected the Server directly to the Screen via VGA. When I boot it up, I see the BIOS screen loading (it did not do this before, so wohoo :-) ) But then the TV starts to refresh the screen every second, showing the "input sign" [PC In  VGA] in the corner and I still get no picture :-( so close...

Are you talking about (A) the pretty picture that most motherboard companies display with their name, or (B) a text display of the hardware which the BIOS has initialized before it starts the boot process? 

It might be that your TV does not recognize the resolution mode that the video board is putting out to display the 80X24 text screen.  In that case, you are out of luck. Unfortunately, TV's are not really computer monitors and they may not support all of the modes that a true computer monitor should support.  IF you want more background, go to this site:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SVGA

And look at the table at the bottom of the page (Computer display standards) and look at the "MDA" link under 'Video Hardware'.  As you can quickly see, some of this stuff goes back 30+ years.  (Those were the days when you purchased a video card with some special graphics capability, you had to install a video driver for every program on your computer that you want to use that capability!) 

Are you talking about (A) the pretty picture that most motherboard companies display with their name, or (B) a text display of the hardware which the BIOS has initialized before it starts the boot process?

B! Counting memory size, showing IDE master slave configuration and stuff. Just a little picture at the to right corner. I think it's an old award bios, no pretty pictures 10 years ago :-P

why not just putty in from your HTPC machine ?

Because sometimes I want to see what is realy going on on the machine. Like when I tried to install gcc package via unmenu und could not reach the web interface anymore. (I think its because I only have 512MB RAM) Putty cannot connect in that state either...

Perhaps the important thing to know is that VGA sends analog signals compared with HDMI & DVI-D that are digital and can be interconnected without a  device converting the signal in between. This is why you can't send VGA through HDMI without first converting the analog signal into digital.

If your computer has a DVI connector as well or have a cheap video card laying around, you could connect that to HDMI through a small adapter.

By your description, it seems like the TV screen can not understand the display resolution and refresh mode sent by the video card directly and you can't do much about that other that fiddling with TV settings to see if you missed anything. Is the video card built into the main board or is it an expansion card?

If you have a smartphone or tablet you could point the browser to server via ip address. That's what I do as my server is at the other end of the house.

could not reach the web interface anymore.

Or do you mean something else?

Sorry, I didn't see that you were having that problem as well. Looks like you will need to have small monitor handy if the VGA route doesn't workout.

Archived