Tom! 5.0.1

Ditto.  Although I only do correcting checks (if there's an error, I want it fixed), I can easily un-check the box and start a non-correcting one if I want [Just confirmed that -- started a check, then canceled it].

Not sure what this question refers to -- although there is, I believe, an issue whereby if the server starts an automatic check due to an improper shutdown it's automatically a correcting check.

He probably refers to the fact, that the default setting is a correcting parity check.

Somewhere I read an explanation from Tom why this is like it is - no issue.

The short story:

If an unclean shutdown has occurred, it is assumed that the parity has not been written correctly and therefore it is corrupted. Then it makes sense to start a correcting parity check.

If there was silent corruption on the data disks in the meantime, well, bad luck.

Tom also argued that a non correcting parity check should be done for the monthly parity check!

I suppose there is a switch in the monthly check settings to do so.

Yes I'm currently preparing a new release 5.0.1.  Here's the change log:

Changes from 5.0 to 5.0.1-rc1
-----------------------------
- emhttp: fix Active Directory, fix join operaiton (winbindd wasn't starting)
- emhttp: for Active Directory, fix assiging initial owner/group (only set once)
- emhttp: for "swap disable" where new disk is factory-cleared, skip clearing remaining space beyond replaced disk size
- linux: upgrade kernel to 3.9.11p (patched)
- linux: added iptables support per user request
- linux: changed frequency scaling drivers from "built-in" to "modules", and added a few more drivers
- other: remove extraneous files in /root and /usr/local/sbin
- slack: fix settings in /etc/rc.d/rc.samba to eliminate 'WARNING: The "idmap backend" option is deprecated'
- slack: add "winbind use default domain = Yes" to rc.samba when setting up Active Directory
- slack: upgrade smartmontools from 5.40 to 5.43 per user request
- slack: upgrade hdparm from 9.37 to 9.43 per user request
- unraid driver: support 64-bit builds (no impact on 32-bit build)
- unraid driver: initialized superblock should start out marked "clean"
- unraid driver: prevent crash if disk partition(s) doesn't exist upon array Start
- webGui: for Active Directory, user may explictitly enter the AD short domain name
- webGui: add confirmation checkbox to enable array Stop button
- webGui: offer "Parity is already valid" checkbox only if parity disk has been assigned
- webGui: fix "swap disable" not being presented correctly

In addition, there will be a push to the "development" webGui on github along with updating of the links to upgrade the webGui - this is the part I'm working on now.

Thanks tom for the updates :)

Side question, looking back through the forums it was mention that 5.x was suppose to add SSD/Trim support (cache drives).. any status on that? or was that implemented and I over looked it.

For best support of btrfs I need to update the base slackware platform and linux kernel.  unRaid 5.x is based on slack 13.1 (which is pretty old now), and unRaid 6 is based on slack 14.1 (which has just been released).  Turns out it's a fairly extensive job to upgrade the slackware platform, so this is what I want to do:

- Release 5.0.1, which is primarily a bug fix release.

- Freeze 5.x feature set and linux kernel at 3.9.11 (which is end of road for that kernel anyway).

- Release 6.0, which is 64-bit kernel and slackware 14.1 platform (all 64-bit).

When 6.0 is ready, I want to try and gauge how many users out there either can't run the 64-bit kernel, or experience big issues due to 64-bit kernel for some reason.  If "not many" users are negatively affected then:

- Add new features such as cache pool only to 6.x series.

If "many" customers can not run 64-bit, then I will be forced to go back and update 5.0 platform to slack 14.1.  I'm hoping I won't need to do that.  ;)

Thanks tom for the updates :)

Side question, looking back through the forums it was mention that 5.x was suppose to add SSD/Trim support (cache drives).. any status on that? or was that implemented and I over looked it.

For best support of btrfs I need to update the base slackware platform and linux kernel.  unRaid 5.x is based on slack 13.1 (which is pretty old now), and unRaid 6 is based on slack 14.1 (which has just been released).  Turns out it's a fairly extensive job to upgrade the slackware platform, so this is what I want to do:

- Release 5.0.1, which is primarily a bug fix release.

- Freeze 5.x feature set and linux kernel at 3.9.11 (which is end of road for that kernel anyway).

- Release 6.0, which is 64-bit kernel and slackware 14.1 platform (all 64-bit).

When 6.0 is ready, I want to try and gauge how many users out there either can't run the 64-bit kernel, or experience big issues due to 64-bit kernel for some reason.  If "not many" users are negatively affected then:

- Add new features such as cache pool only to 6.x series.

If "many" customers can not run 64-bit, then I will be forced to go back and update 5.0 platform to slack 14.1.  I'm hoping I won't need to do that.  ;)

This is fair. However, as other companies do, you could keep both 5.x and 6.x running at the same time, in different price brackets and feature brackets.

• If you want to run unRAID on old hardware that doesn't support 64bit, you should still be able to get a stable build of unRAID. 5.x is your choice until you upgrade your hardware.
  • If you want the latest features and you've got the hardware for it, 6.x onward is your best bet.

As long as both are stable, and both support the now independent webGUI, i think you've got a win-win for both yourself and the community. Trying to appease everyone with a single build might not work!

Yes I'm currently preparing a new release 5.0.1.  Here's the change log:

Changes from 5.0 to 5.0.1-rc1
-----------------------------
- emhttp: fix Active Directory, fix join operaiton (winbindd wasn't starting)
- emhttp: for Active Directory, fix assiging initial owner/group (only set once)
- emhttp: for "swap disable" where new disk is factory-cleared, skip clearing remaining space beyond replaced disk size
- linux: upgrade kernel to 3.9.11p (patched)
- linux: added iptables support per user request
- linux: changed frequency scaling drivers from "built-in" to "modules", and added a few more drivers
- other: remove extraneous files in /root and /usr/local/sbin
- slack: fix settings in /etc/rc.d/rc.samba to eliminate 'WARNING: The "idmap backend" option is deprecated'
- slack: add "winbind use default domain = Yes" to rc.samba when setting up Active Directory
- slack: upgrade smartmontools from 5.40 to 5.43 per user request
- slack: upgrade hdparm from 9.37 to 9.43 per user request
- unraid driver: support 64-bit builds (no impact on 32-bit build)
- unraid driver: initialized superblock should start out marked "clean"
- unraid driver: prevent crash if disk partition(s) doesn't exist upon array Start
- webGui: for Active Directory, user may explictitly enter the AD short domain name
- webGui: add confirmation checkbox to enable array Stop button
- webGui: offer "Parity is already valid" checkbox only if parity disk has been assigned
- webGui: fix "swap disable" not being presented correctly

In addition, there will be a push to the "development" webGui on github along with updating of the links to upgrade the webGui - this is the part I'm working on now.

So looking through this list, it looks like your adding iptables to be installed by default.. which will be welcomed.

Sounds like your removing the cpu scaling from the kernel? and use the rc.modules (added slackware 13) which loads the cpu scaling after boot and allows configuration of it (think of it like power profile modes in windows).

smartmon update.. prob mainly will affect those that use LSI cards,  changelog here (notice were still a bit behind with this upgrade): http://sourceforge.net/p/smartmontools/code/3841/tree/tags/RELEASE_6_2/smartmontools/NEWS

hdparm update.. adds wdidle3 set/get support! change log for those that wanna see what else: http://linux.softpedia.com/progChangelog/hdparm-Changelog-6533.html

overall should be a nice little update :)

Joe, can you make sure unmenu/pre-clear script works with the 5.0.1 updates (new hdparm/smartmontools)? :)