[SOLVED]Tower Login?

I just built my first unRAID system and did everything the instructions said.  However when the system boots it runs some stuff then comes to this.

Welcome to Linux 3.9.11p-unRAID (tty1)

Tower login:

What is this??  It's doesn't say anything about this in the installation instructions, Only how to boot from the flash which I believe the system has done.

I just built my first unRAID system and did everything the instructions said.  However when the system boots it runs some stuff then comes to this.

Welcome to Linux 3.9.11p-unRAID (tty1)

Tower login:

What is this??  It's doesn't say anything about this in the installation instructions, Only how to boot from the flash which I believe the system has done.

Your system has booted from the flashdrive, you're up and running :-)

The way to access the system is to use a webbroswer from your pc/mac.  You should be able to reach it by typing http://tower in your internet explorer.

The server itself is meant to be run "headless", meaning to run without a monitor. All setup is done over the webpage (it is not even possible to do it from the system itself).

Lots of success and get back if you run into questions.

What is this??

Why isn't anybody answering his question?  :o

I think it is very important for him to know what it is!

No, even more! If it comes to preclearing at the latest.

Just pointing at the GUI is not sufficient!

Well, what you're seeing is the login to the shell.

You may also want to read this.

When you're logged in as root ... you have the full control over your rig!

The GUI is only "the tip of the iceberg".

Bloodlust,

Congrats on your new unRAID server!

I sometime can't get http://tower/ to connect. (long, irrelevant story).

I've simply bookmarked 'http://192.168.1.xx' as 'Tower' in my Chrome browser. ('xx' is the IP for your unRaid box...)

I'm not too concerned with my 'internal' security, so don't have a password setup, just a carriage return suffices.

I left the admin userid as 'root'.

Except for 'pre-clearing' (which I didn't do...), all my setup was easily done from the web browser.

Eventually, I found I needed a few more capabilities (and just wanted to learn a bit 'o Linux), and tried Telnet.

(installing plug-ins, for example, requires either Telnet, or shutting down and moving the flash drive back to the PC)

I use the same numeric IP address to 'TELNET' from my Mac/PC into unRAID.

(Use Terminal on a Mac for telneting. 'Putty' seems to be the PC choice, although the builtin telnet client works, too.)

Using Telnet, you have total control of your unRAID server from your Mac/PC, as Fireball says.

I also sometimes plug in a separate keyboard and monitor directly to the unRAID box (versus Telnet).  One advantage of this is the availability of 'Midnight Commander', or MC, which is built-in to unRAID.  Once you get the shell running on your unraid box and are logged in, just type 'MC'.

MC is an interface to the file system that can be handy and productive for certain types of file movements/operations, as well as for just looking around to see how stuff really works. ::)

Not directly relevant to the OP, but thought some might like to know:

...(installing plug-ins, for example, requires either Telnet, or shutting down and moving the flash drive back to the PC)...

You can copy plugins to the flash drive over the network if you export it as a share. In fact, I usually do unRAID upgrades over the network by copying bzroot, bzimage over the network then rebooting from the webGUI.

...I also sometimes plug in a separate keyboard and monitor directly to the unRAID box (versus Telnet).  One advantage of this is the availability of 'Midnight Commander', or MC, which is built-in to unRAID.  Once you get the shell running on your unraid box and are logged in, just type 'MC'.

MC also works just fine from telnet.

What is this??

Why isn't anybody answering his question?  :o

I think it is very important for him to know what it is!

No, even more! If it comes to preclearing at the latest.

Just pointing at the GUI is not sufficient!

Well, what you're seeing is the login to the shell.

You may also want to read this.

When you're logged in as root ... you have the full control over your rig!

The GUI is only "the tip of the iceberg".

Sorry but simply not true... unraid is fully configurable from the webgui, the only thing you cannot do thru the webgui is preclearing, and even when it is something that is highly usefull and I would recommend it, it is NOT standard unraid, and not provided by limetech.. For a new user setting it all up thru the gui is the first thing to do. If someone does not recommend a linux login prompt (which is not a disgrace at all!) it is asking a bit much to throw him or her in there..

For the original question asker: A lot of us do a lot more things with our servers then running plain unraid, when you want to do that stuff you sometimes need to access the core of your system, that is when you would use the prompt. HAve fun with your system ! unraid is real easy to setup and gives a lot of possibilities to do more, but you do not need need to at first hand.

unraid is fully configurable from the webgui

That's right.

is NOT standard unraid

Unfortunately many things are not standard in unRAID.

Too many in fact. (status notification, clean powerdown, standby, task planer aka. cronjobs, backup, ...)

Use the GUI only and the plugins that cause it to crash every now and then (you can read it in every GUI related post) and you end up

parity checking every week.

You can't even copy a syslog without accessing the shell.  :(

You can copy plugins to the flash drive over the network if you export it as a share. In fact, I usually do unRAID upgrades over the network by copying bzroot, bzimage over the network then rebooting from the webGUI.

MC also works just fine from telnet.

OH! That's brilliant! It never occurred to me to try MC via Telnet! That works great!

And I already had a flash share....but it just never occurred to me to upgrade that way.

Thanks, trurl!

Bloodlust,

Congrats on your new unRAID server!

I sometime can't get http://tower/ to connect. (long, irrelevant story).

I've simply bookmarked 'http://192.168.1.xx' as 'Tower' in my Chrome browser. ('xx' is the IP for your unRaid box...)

I'm not too concerned with my 'internal' security, so don't have a password setup, just a carriage return suffices.

I left the admin userid as 'root'.

Except for 'pre-clearing' (which I didn't do...), all my setup was easily done from the web browser.

Eventually, I found I needed a few more capabilities (and just wanted to learn a bit 'o Linux), and tried Telnet.

(installing plug-ins, for example, requires either Telnet, or shutting down and moving the flash drive back to the PC)

I use the same numeric IP address to 'TELNET' from my Mac/PC into unRAID.

(Use Terminal on a Mac for telneting. 'Putty' seems to be the PC choice, although the builtin telnet client works, too.)

Using Telnet, you have total control of your unRAID server from your Mac/PC, as Fireball says.

I also sometimes plug in a separate keyboard and monitor directly to the unRAID box (versus Telnet).  One advantage of this is the availability of 'Midnight Commander', or MC, which is built-in to unRAID.  Once you get the shell running on your unraid box and are logged in, just type 'MC'.

MC is an interface to the file system that can be handy and productive for certain types of file movements/operations, as well as for just looking around to see how stuff really works. ::)

Using Chrome http://tower/ does not do anything.  Takes me to a DNS thing.  Is there some sort of setup guide for this.  I hear how easy it is, But to me this seems VERY complicated.  I know nothing about networking, DOS, command prompts, etc.  How do I know what IP the unRAID server is?

It sounds like you're almost there...

Do you know the local IP number for your UNRAID box?  it will look like 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.xx

in Chrome, just type in that number in the address box.

You can get the number from your router...do you know how to access it?

(type 192.168.1.1 (probably) in your browser)  If you don't know the login, try the username 'admin' and no password, or a password of 'admin'.

It sounds like you're almost there...

Do you know the local IP number for your UNRAID box?  it will look like 192.168.1.2 or 192.168.1.xx

in Chrome, just type in that number in the address box.

You can get the number from your router...do you know how to access it?

(type 192.168.1.1 (probably) in your browser)  If you don't know the login, try the username 'admin' and no password, or a password of 'admin'.

Yes, That much I do know.  I have just accessed the router.  The unRAID box is not showing in regards to having a IP address.  What now?

I have just accessed the router.  The unRAID box is not showing in regards to having a IP address.  What now?

Oh, sorry, it may not be 'called' unraid.

Attached is a screenshot of my local network. (fios)

Unraid is simply identified as an 'ethernet' device. (in my screen shot, its #50)

So let me try it again. Just to be sure I understand where you're at.

You've accessed your cable/dsl/internet router.

You're looking for the list of 'local devices' and their numeric addresses.

...So your router is #192.168.1.1, and (if you have only one PC and the unraid box on your local network) your PC shows up as #192.168.1.2, etc.  Do you recognize all the other devices...and by process of elimination, know which one is new?

Or how about this, what's the LARGEST number? something like 192.168.1.7

Try that. (the numeric addresses are created in the order in which your PC's, etc. are powered up and connect.)

Type the LARGEST number in to the browser.. (all 192.168.1.xx  of it. )

screenshot_07.gif.2013fb75c1918adc6b56567689c99ccc.gif

Type ifconfig at the command prompt on the unraid machines console.

I think I got it figured out here.  I typed this and got no IP address.  I rebooted my router and now appears to have given "tower" an IP address now and is seen.  I am now able to login with the web interface using the IP address.  Now, Before I do anything else won't this IP address keep changing if the unRAID is shut off or the router?  I know my other systems as we have many devices running off this router have there IP address change time again.  Should this unRAID have the same constant IP address?  If so, How do I set it to keep that IP attached to the unRAID server?

Thanks very much to everyone's help!!!!

I have an IP address for each device connected to my network. I accomplished by reserving an IP address and MAC address on my router network config page (DHCP Reservations) and leaving unRaid network setting set to DHCP - Auto. You can also reserve the ip in router and have the unRaid network set to manual with same IP address.

Yes. nacat78's got it.

IP addresses are 'dynamic', they're assigned from 1-n as they are requested.  What you're asking for is a 'static' address that doesn't change...and that way you ALWAYS know what address to use.

Different routers have different screens for doing this, but what you're looking for is a screen that talks about 'reserving' or 'fixed' or 'static' ip ranges.  By convention, the high end addresses are usually fixed. So something like 192.168.1.100 or greater is reserved/fixed/static.

If you know the unRAID MAC address (it should show up in IPCONFIG on the unraid box), and your router supports reserving it, that's the first way nacat78 describes.

The second way is to set aside a range of fixed addresses in the router, and then in unRAID edit the config file to use one of those fixed addresses.

I think you mean "preclear". It is not needed, but strongly recommended. If you add a new drive to the array unRAID will start writing zeros to it, so it afterwards can be added without changing the parity information. This process takes quite some time and while it is running you have no access to your array. Also your new drive might soon show problems you didn't know about beforehand.

Preclearing the drive (I recommend to do 3 cycles) will put a lot of strain on your new disk. If it fails or starts to show problems you are able to replace it before you added the faulty drive to the array. If it passes you can be quite sure that it will not fail you right away. (It might do it anyway, but the propability is a lot less.) Also the zeros unRAID needs to add the drive will be written during preclear. The process will be much quicker then, keeping your data accessible.

I think you mean "preclear". It is not needed, but strongly recommended. If you add a new drive to the array unRAID will start writing zeros to it, so it afterwards can be added without changing the parity information. This process takes quite some time and while it is running you have no access to your array. Also your new drive might soon show problems you didn't know about beforehand.

Preclearing the drive (I recommend to do 3 cycles) will put a lot of strain on your new disk. If it fails or starts to show problems you are able to replace it before you added the faulty drive to the array. If it passes you can be quite sure that it will not fail you right away. (It might do it anyway, but the propability is a lot less.) Also the zeros unRAID needs to add the drive will be written during preclear. The process will be much quicker then, keeping your data accessible.

Got it thanks.  Your right that this takes sometime.  I installed a 4TB which I plan to use as the parity drive and I'm on 10 hours now with 98% completed on just the first cycle.  At this rate it's going to take a 1-2 weeks to "preclear" all my HDD's.  I have 9 - 3TB to add along with 4 - 2TB drives...... :o

Got it thanks.  Your right that this takes sometime.  I installed a 4TB which I plan to use as the parity drive and I'm on 10 hours now with 98% completed on just the first cycle.  At this rate it's going to take a 1-2 weeks to "preclear" all my HDD's.  I have 9 - 3TB to add along with 4 - 2TB drives...... :o

I usually clear 6 at a time.