Docker

Can this be legally packaged with UNRaid or would it have to be a add-on from the stock image.

Its GNU licensed software. Of course you can.

If were to install Ubuntu, CentOS, Fedora, etc. with a GUI Desktop... You are talking about 1,200+ individual GNU Licensed software packages that make up the whole.

Including Docker in a Distro (like unRAID) is no different than including XBMC, Samba, NFS, Apache, Gimp, Gnome, etc.

Cool, thats what I thought but I just wanted to get clarification

You know, there should be some kind of committee on this board for the future of UNRaid to input and direction. Things like this would really extend and simplify UNRaid to extent. I wonder if Tom would be up for this to ensure UNRaid doesn't get stuck in the past while other solutions take advantage of stuff like this before he does.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Tom would be up for this to ensure UNRaid doesn't get stuck in the past while other solutions take advantage of stuff like this before he does.

He has indicated that he is open to adding features and functions and adjusting his business plans with possible some (possible all) of the things we have discussed in various threads of late.

As far as Docker goes, it is still in development and not "stable" yet. I suspect until it is... it won't make the cut.

Personally, I would rather just use a VM.

With a VM, PV drivers and every plugin on this site loaded / running on one VM... It would still take take up less than a GB of space and require less than 512mb of memory. The only exception really is using a Usenet Indexer if you were keeping data for a bunch of groups for months on end.

It is not as clear cut as that. Docker wont make stable until it can be deployed by dotCloud as production ready for them. For this to happen it has to be rock solid to a giant dotCloud sized scale. For some time previous to that people with mere mortal systems will likely be more than happy with it. That time is probably already passed TBH

But I would not want any of this stuff supported officially by Limetech anyway. I would far prefer they stuck to the important stuff of spindles and core reliability and leave all this extra stuff as community supported.

But thats a discussion in itself and would probably be better forked than pollute this technology thread.

[....

Personally, I would rather just use a VM.

A VM is a solution potentially to a different problem. Docker allows a single dev to package an app with all its dependcies in complete isolation up and down the stack. I dont need to rely on someone else not the break my app with there app and i dont have to worry about the host OS breaking it either. I also dont ever need to ask for the host OS to add something just for my app i.e. kernel change x or y

A VM is a great solution if one dev want to release ALL the apps but is a hindrance when you have many devs with many flavours and choices.

In many ways it mirrors the appliance vs whole OS preference.

There is no right answer only choice.

What I will say though is that Dockers whole reason for being is to allow devs to push apps out easily. A problem we have been tacking in round about ways for ever here.

In many ways it mirrors the appliance vs whole OS preference.

There is no right answer only choice.

What I will say though is that Dockers whole reason for being is to allow devs to push apps out easily. A problem we have been tacking in round about ways for ever here.

I agree with everything you said.

I think it's a personality thing... and I'm just not anal. I do not separate every single app out on my system into VMs. I use to run all the various apps in various VMs, then in one VM and after I got bored with that I just installed them on the host.

It's been my experience that Package Maintainers of the 10,000+ various Apps you see in say Ubuntu make the app work correctly in each version of Ubuntu (11.04, 11.10, 12.04, etc.) with the various versions of "share libraries / programs" like MySQL, Perl, Curl, SQLite, GCC, etc.

I can't recall the last time I installed something like XBMC, Apache, Gparted, etc. for example and had that app use the "shared libraries / packages" it needs and break another package since all the apps / package maintainers know what version of the various "shared libraries / packages" there are in the various versions of Ubuntu (including updates).

The problem we have with unRAID...

There is no package manager, no repo, no package maintainers.

The plugin guys decide what "shared libraries / packages" is best for him / his app, points it to some random place on the internet to download and has no idea / pays no regard to what another Plugins may or may not need / work in. That is why if you load X plugin in unRAID it could / does breaks Y and Z plugin.

Assuming unRAID continues down the Slackware path... I think Docker would be a VERY good option / idea to work around the limitations of Slackware having no Package Manager / Package Maintainers / ram root file system for all the various apps we are use to running.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks really interesting.  I see there is a docker applet to install a docker framework for Synology NAS.  I too think docker would be a perfect fit for unRAID. As I am currently using a full blown Ubuntu server watching where unRAID goes I fail to see where it would be a huge benefit in my install.

Kryspy

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

oh, what a shame .. no new post in april for this thread  ;D

nevertheless ... some of the things that have been going on with docker in the past few weeks:

https://www.openshift.com/blogs/geard-the-intersection-of-paas-docker-and-project-atomic

https://aws.amazon.com/blogs/aws/aws-elastic-beanstalk-for-docker/

in essence, some additional heavyweights (red hat, amazon) are supporting docker, as tier 1 citizen in the virtualization arena.

i think this is the future.

on a side note, i switched from ubuntu to archlinux as my host os, running docker + zfs + dmcrypt on top ... it's a pretty cool setup.

• 3 weeks later...

I just don't get docker.

I hear lots of very good stuff said by pundits but I haven't found an explanation that makes sense to me yet. Or a use case I could apply it too.

For a media VM (such as my archVM) that runs Sab, sick, couch and plex what difference would it make to my life?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Docker is like plugins on steroids. I don't have to worry about having a ton of dependencies installed on my system in order to run SAB, SICK, COUCH, PLEX, XBMCSERVER, or SUBSONIC.

Think of docker as a repository for a bunch of VMs that are pre-configured with all dependencies already installed just to run one application. You just download the image (PULL) and then reconfigure any expose folder or ports, and RUN. The benefit is, that you can have different version of the application running without much trouble, and your end user doesn't have to know how to install all the dependencies or how to do the higher level configurations.

For UNraid 6, I currently run a Ubuntu VM with docker installed and all my applications are docker images. It's super easy to configure and as long as I name my container during the first run command I can easily start and stop the application.

In fact ... the current plug-in dependency/compatibility problems PhAzEr is having with python and openSSL would be easily solved with something like docker since each of those gets their own little sandbox to play in.

I'm not sure if those same problems would exist in archVM since it does a better job of dealing with dependancies [shrug] but maybe it would.  Also didn't you just have some issue with SAB and SICK that made you rollback? 

In the end it is sandboxing, and if sandboxing can help avoid conflicts then I guess that is the benefit.  With us not exactly being full up production servers where downtime = $$$ it might not be a big deal.  But I can see why companies are looking in that direction.

And for non-XEN unraid, docker might be the solution to the dependency and plug-in maintainer problems that are touted as the benefits of virtualizing.

Just thought I'd chime in on this topic to let you all know that we are currently experimenting with docker in a development build of unRAID 6 that we are working on internally.  Its not quite ready for prime time yet, but we have had success in spinning up a docker-based container with the Plex application.

Please do not ask for a time frame yet, as there is still much work ahead to make this solid and usable, but the success we've had made us comfortable enough to share this with you all, our community.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk