Original Lime Technology Unraid Tower For Sale **MD-1500/AO**

I have for sale, an originally purchased from Lime Technology in 2008, Unraid tower.  This item was purchased directly from Lime Technology (see order details at end of post).  I paid $1247 delivered plus all of the drives that averaged about $200 each at time of purchase so I have about $4100 invested.  I have kids now and just don't have the need for this at the moment so it should go to a good home.  I believe a fair price to be $1000, but will entertain reasonable offers.  Comes with official Lime Technology Pro License USB Stick.

This Unraid MD-1500AO was purchased in 2008, but do not let the date fool you, this machine runs rock solid with a full Unraid Pro license.  It has the ASUS motherboard and Intel Celeron processor.

The only problem I ever had was a bad Promise SATA card (reference thread here: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=19856.msg176813#msg176813). 

The only out of place item is one drive bay carriage (drive 15).  I had to borrow that drive to fix another computer and I am having an issue finding the carriage, but that is a small inexpensive item. (see pictures)

Everything in its current states works fine.  I will wipe all of the drives before shipping (though local delivery preferred, I am in Milwaukee so Chicago area is fine too).  I will ship but I guess shipping will be about $80 - $100.  Most drives came with a 5 year warranty so some may still be under, some not.

I have the Unraid populated with the following 14 Server Grade Drives installed totaling 14TB:

Drive 0/Parity: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1.5TB

Drive 1: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1.5TB

Drive 2: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1.0 TB

Drive 3: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 1.5 TB

Drive 4: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 750 GB

Drive 5: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 750 GB

Drive 6: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 1 TB

Drive 7: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 750 GB

Drive 8: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 750 GB

Drive 9: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 750 GB

Drive 10: Western Digital Digital Caviar Black 7200 750 GB

Drive 11: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 750 GB

Drive 12: Western Digital Caviar Black 7200 750 GB

Drive 13: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 1.5 TB

Original Order:

ORDER DETAILS:

Item: MD-1500/AO

Quantity: 1

Description: Mid-tower Media Storage Server with 15 SATA hard drive trays.

Price (each): $1,199.00

Item Total: $1,199.00

Subtotal: $1,199.00

Shipping (FedEx Ground Service): +$47.49

Grand Total: $1,246.49

Unraid1.jpg.0367c2e729605c1d8208d756c922985d.jpg

You might consider a much lower price.

I realize that's a difficult task since this server is probably like a child to you (mine are!), but a NEW machine priced today could be built for ~$1200, including five 3TB Western Digital Red disks to exceed your capacity of 14TB. The right case could even avoid 5in3 drive cages, lowering the cost for a new build even more.

Just a suggestion. :)

I was going to raise the same point of lowering the asking price when I first saw this, but felt my lack of post counts here would cause some scrutiny.  I'm learning fast the world of unRAID, but I'm well experienced in the world of computer parts/builds.

It's a fine system for the right asking price, though you'd have to understand those drives you paid ~200.00 each are most likely going to be the first and most costly replacement for your buyer.  I understand you said you'd entertain reasonable offers, but understand a reasonable offer may be well below what you'd consider reasonable..

-D

Price lowered to $1500.  I realize you can build cheaper units, however, with space for 15 drives the max capacity at 4TB on this unit would be 60TB currently.  Also, all of my drives are server grade.  Let me know if anyone is interested at the new lower price.

Didn't see your original price here, but even $1500 is FAR too high for this hardware.    Your best bet if you want to try to maximize your return is to part it out ... sell the drives individually on e-bay and then advertise the "bare box" to see if somebody's interested in that.  Note that 750GB WD Blacks sell for ~ $40 on e-bay ... a couple of recent listings with "Buy-It Now" prices at $55 and minimum bids of $40 did not sell.  One did sell for $44.98.  But ALL of these listings were drives that were still under warranty -- if you list them, be sure to note the warranty expiration date, as if they're still warrantied this significantly increases the odds of selling the drive.

If you get $40/drive, that's $560 for the drives -- and you'll still have a bare box you can reasonably get a few hundred dollars for.

Quite frankly, the only real value in the bare box you'll have left is the case itself and the 5-in-3 cages.  You can likely sell the cages for ~ $65-75 each ... figure $200 total.

So the drives plus cages MAY net you about $750 or so if you sell them individually.

The case, motherboard, etc. are nearly worthless.  You might get $100-150 for that if somebody wants that specific case ... but basically they'd be buying it for the case - NOT for the motherboard/CPU memory.

Incidentally, while WD Blacks are indeed excellent drives; they are NOT "server grade" drives.  The Enterprise class drives cost nearly twice what the Blacks do.  The Blacks are WD's best consumer class drive.    But older Blacks like you have are easily outperformed by the modern NAS drives (WD Reds and Seagate NAS) with their 1TB platter densities ... and 4 of those modern NAS units (total cost ~ $750) would provide 12TB of storage with NEW, much higher performing drives and a 4TB parity unit that allowed for far easier expansion.

Bottom line:  If you want to sell this unit intact, you'll be lucky to get $750 ... and it's really unlikely it would sell for that.    You might get $250 or so without any drives, if somebody wanted the case with the hot-swap drive cages -- but I the internal electronics are essentially worthless.

As others have already noted, that's why a lot of us have a bunch of old electronics laying around for spares; test systems; backup servers; etc. -- they're simply not worth the bother of selling for the very low amounts you'd likely realize.

Frankly, I would consider keeping the nas around to serve up Dora the Explorer, etc. to the kiddies (or music, or whatever you were serving up before).

Run it til it dies man.

As everyone else has said, you'll be lucky to get much money at all out of it.  Nature of the beast when it comes to computer hardware.  I too have a graveyard of machines and parts that I figure I "may need" some time (and probably never will, but I have needed some spare parts from time to time).

I presume the message has been sent loud & clear about the likely valuation.

If you need some $$ from it, part it out and get $500 or a bit more via e-bay sales.

But as others have suggested, since it's still "running perfectly", I'd just keep it and use it to store movies for the kids and perhaps backups from your other computers and devices.    It IS a good NAS for backup storage;  and despite it's limited valuation will likely continue to work reliably for at least a few more years.

If you really don't need it, just be realistic about what you'll likely get for it -- and note that the longer you wait, the lower that number will be.    I've thrown away or donated several systems over the years that I had spent over $2000 on ... it's simply the nature of the technology.