[SOLVED] Transmission Data Location and Remote Access

adamthepolak

Hey guys, ive been trying to get my torrenting started up on my unraid server but I have an issue with Transmission, I can't seem to set the data location properly. I want it to go to a folder that i created, ive tried using this pathing but it doesnt seem to work "/root/Downloads/Completed". Thoughts?

for me, every time i reboot it loses the paths to save locations. but its not that much of a hassle.

I had that same problem occasionally.

I think I fixed it by editing the path locations in the settings.json file in the Transmission folder.

It could be an issue with Transmission performing a clean shutdown, the updated settings are only saved during shutdown.

It could be a file permissions issue where Transmission can't update the file.

Do you run Transmission as "root" or "nobody"?

I use a cache drive so my location is: /mnt/cache/Downloads/Completed

If you don't have a cache drive you can use this for a user share: /mnt/user/Downloads/Completed

or this for directly to a specific disk: /mnt/disk1/Downloads/Completed

Thanks jevans, i will give it a try in an hour after im done classes. What kind of performance difference do u see using a cache drive? i dont have one in yet but if its a big difference ill move up my upgrade for that.

for me, every time i reboot it loses the paths to save locations. but its not that much of a hassle.

I had that same problem occasionally.

I think I fixed it by editing the path locations in the settings.json file in the Transmission folder.

It could be an issue with Transmission performing a clean shutdown, the updated settings are only saved during shutdown.

It could be a file permissions issue where Transmission can't update the file.

Do you run Transmission as "root" or "nobody"?

Nobody

Hey guys, ive been trying to get my torrenting started up on my unraid server but I have an issue with Transmission, I can't seem to set the data location properly. I want it to go to a folder that i created, ive tried using this pathing but it doesnt seem to work "/root/Downloads/Completed". Thoughts?

Anything not in /mnt or /boot will not survive a reboot. Everything else is in RAMfs.

I think the reason cache is the preferred place for installing plugins is because it is ready before the array starts and the plugins load.

Thanks guy, ive got transmission working and saving everything properly. no cache drive for now but thats a minor thing i can add later.... but i am stumped with one last thing.

im trying to get remote access to transmission from outside of home. i set up my port forwarding like so, but doesnt work;

PF.PNG.533e604fe002d26dd2e4c4878e8bfdf9.PNG

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guy, ive got transmission working and saving everything properly. no cache drive for now but thats a minor thing i can add later.... but i am stumped with one last thing.

im trying to get remote access to transmission from outside of home. i set up my port forwarding like so, but doesnt work;

Is it safe to do this? I did not see a place in Transmission to setup a username and password. This may mean anyone can get into it. Why is there a tilde in the port 9091~9091... perhaps simply 9091 will solve it... You should reboot router as well.

there is an option to add username and password, can also enable SSL. To set it up you have to find the config file on the unraid usb key, sry i cant remember the path to it, and then edit and save.

Got it working with the 9091 ports and you have to enter a value in the two fields even if its for one port, its like that on multiple routers that i have used.

• 4 months later...

Archived