unRAID6-beta7/8 POSSIBLE DATA CORRUPTION ISSUE: PLEASE READ

limetech

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I read somewhere that ext4 was in the pipeline. I'd rather wait for that FS-type as it seems the most stable to me, being selected as the default FS for almost every commercial NAS unit out there.

Interesting you should say that as the NAS units I have had used during the last 10 years have used XFS. 

Up until recently ext4 has been the commonest default for desktop Linux, but even there the latest release of many distributions are changing their default to be XFS.

I believe that XFS is better at recovering from file system corruption, although I must admit that is based primarily on heresay.  However the few times I have had to use xfs_repait it has done a good job.

I haven't been running unraid for more than a year but holy hell is it ever sloppy in its development - I'm moving over to linux+snapraid.

kthxbye

"Hey, this clearly marked beta software has bugs, it's not entirely stable."

Considering the bug is a Filesystem bug, and not with unRAID, perhaps you should talk to the person responsible for maintaining reiserfs.

I haven't been running unraid for more than a year but holy hell is it ever sloppy in its development - I'm moving over to linux+snapraid.

kthxbye

"Hey, this clearly marked beta software has bugs, it's not entirely stable."

Considering the bug is a Filesystem bug, and not with unRAID, perhaps you should talk to the person responsible for maintaining reiserfs.

Or in other words... don't let the door hit you on the way out!

We all accept risk by running beta software, and while this has been the most drastic downside we've seen, it's not actually LTs fault (unless you want to blame reliance on RFS.

It's says a lot that your answer to a Linux filesystem bug is to move to another Linux based solution... well played! That can't possibly have the same potential risks.

Hey its nothing personal fellas, unraid just isn't for me.

Which is fine, and doesn't require either an announcement or taking a unnecessary (and ill informed) shot at the developer before you depart.

it doesn't require you to reply either....but here we are.

it might be shocking but what I look for in a back up solution is software that doesn't corrupt my god damn files.  sure its a beta, but even v5 final was not functioning properly for me. if i had known the development life cycle was so all over the place I wouldn't have purchased a license. I'm sorry but this is just a sloppy piece of software by any standards and the fact that there's a hardcore community doesn't change that.

it might be shocking but what I look for in a back up solution is software that doesn't corrupt my god damn files.  sure its a beta, but even v5 final was not functioning properly for me. if i had known the development life cycle was so all over the place I wouldn't have purchased a license. I'm sorry but this is just a sloppy piece of software by any standards and the fact that there's a hardcore community doesn't change that.

If you were worried about your files being corrupted then you shouldn't have installed beta software, it's as simple as that. You have literally no one to blame but yourself.

Hey its nothing personal fellas, unraid just isn't for me.

Which is fine, and doesn't require either an announcement or taking a unnecessary (and ill informed) shot at the developer before you depart.

it doesn't require you to reply either....but here we are.

The entire open source community is one built on a system of trust.  The stable releases that are put out by the upstream maintainers are trusted to be just that:  stable.  In this case, a release put out was NOT stable but marked as such by the upstream maintainer.  This is rare and hardly ever happens, but in this instance, a small window of opportunity interjected itself to where some folks may have experienced some file corruption.  That said, we haven't seen too many nasty data losses just yet and hope to not see any in the future.

The issue was promptly resolved with beta 9 after much testing and communication with the upstream maintainers (even Linus himself was involved in some e-mails).  Bottom line:  what else would you have asked of all the companies that used "stable" code that may have been subject to a bug.  Code that may not have been marked "beta" either like unRAID was...

If you had issues with v5, you should post them in the support forums and get the help you need.  Also wondering if you actually lost data yourself and if so, what steps you took here on our forums to get help with trying to recover?  We're here to help users where we can, but are also in the midst of heavy development for future releases.

Anyhow, in the end, we're always sorry to see someone leave the community, but hope to win you back in the future.

it might be shocking but what I look for in a back up solution ....

Since when has unRAID been marketed as a 'back up solution'?

You sir, just won the internet.  Raid array as a backup solution...

It would sooooooo awesome when my users delete stuff off the raid array, and since its a backup, i can just go "rollback 30min" and like magic, the parity set goes back in time and and i can rebuild...

it might be shocking but what I look for in a back up solution ....

Since when has unRAID been marketed as a 'back up solution'?

You sir, just won the internet.  Raid array as a backup solution...

It would sooooooo awesome when my users delete stuff off the raid array, and since its a backup, i can just go "rollback 30min" and like magic, the parity set goes back in time and and i can rebuild...

Well using tools such as rsync with the link-dest option, you can support do all kinds of scheduled archiving like that.

I.E. Use a drive as a backup repository pulling data using the rsync --link-dest option from the last backup.

Then you only archive what has changed since the last backup.

Roll off the oldest directory when space gets tight.

unRAID is not a backup solution, but it can serve as a destination for a backup solution.

I just wrote this on our blog about backups (as a lead in to Crashplan):

The topic of backups constantly comes up in our community forums.  While unRAID protects your data by using a parity, this protection is only designed to protect against data loss caused by a drive failure, and is not considered a “backup”.  Imagine your home suffered a natural disaster such as a fire or flood?  What about a user just deleting a file they didn’t mean to and they want it back?  Or what if you drop your server/storage devices during a physical move to a new location?  Backups are designed to allow users to recover data in scenarios like these, where a parity drive cannot.