Need Tool To Benchmark My Plex Server

Is there a command line tool I can use to benchmark my upstream network/internet performance? All my recent hardware upgrades have done wonders for my local streaming :) but my remote friends are getting a ton of buffering even when its only one of them on the server at the time. Was thinking the a speed test will tell me if its at my end.

ps. attached system info pic. Media is served from single share that contains 12 data drives. Each movie is on a single disk (no spanning). internet is FIOS 25 down, 10 up

Tower-Main_2014-10-13_13-27-58.png.8578538eda6622f2e4757edb8cd61a3c.png

I don't know how to use that through unRaid :). I have run tests from windows boxes just wanted to be sure I am getting the same result from the server.

We have experimented with both 3 and 4 mbps settings. Using Roku 3 and/or PC browser as clients at remote location. What's odd is I get errors here too. Like "This video is unavailable" midway through 8 mbps stream (Roku 3 here too). I can resume from where it left off but it shouldn't be having ANY probs with local.

Found this and it actually works really well:  http://askubuntu.com/questions/104755/how-to-check-internet-speed-via-terminal

Check the 2nd reply:

$ wget -O speedtest-cli https://raw.github.com/sivel/speedtest-cli/master/speedtest_cli.py

$ chmod +x speedtest-cli

$ ./speedtest-cli

Retrieving speedtest.net configuration...

Retrieving speedtest.net server list...

Testing from Comcast Cable (x.x.x.x)...

Selecting best server based on ping...

Hosted by FiberCloud, Inc (Seattle, WA) [12.03 km]: 44.028 ms

Testing download speed........................................

Download: 32.29 Mbit/s

Testing upload speed..................................................

Upload: 5.18 Mbit/s

I downloaded the python script to my flash drive (/boot) and ran it from there.  My results seem consistent with what I would see on speedtest.net from one of my workstations (fyi...those are not my results above).

EDIT:  Maybe this would make a nice plugin for unraid.  :)

John

No laughing please!  :)

root@unRAID:/boot# ./speedtest-cli

Testing from PenTeleData (75.97.xx.xxx)...

Selecting best server based on latency...

Hosted by PenTeleData (Palmerton, PA) [60.90 km]: 28.536 ms

Download: 23.72 Mbits/s

Upload: 1.79 Mbits/s

thanks :) Looks like its under performing right now (upload should be 10)

Testing from Frontier Communications (50.125.138.7)...

Selecting best server based on latency...

Hosted by NetRiver (Lynnwood, WA) [10.55 km]: 37.667 ms

Download: 20.74 Mbits/s

Upload: 8.85 Mbits/s

root@Tower:/boot#

If you have 10 Mbps upload your friends should not be having any issues streaming from plex. I have 4 Mbps upload and I can have multiple non-local people stream without having any buffering issues. Either your friends download speed is awful, maybe you have your Plex transcoding settings way to high, or your friends have that setting turned up to high on their end?

Agreed.

My UL is on 2Mbit and I stream to work without issue.  I set Media Browser Server transcoding to Auto and on the client end it usually sets me to 720p/1Mbit.

BTW...I'm really loving the MB docker container!

Sort of off topic, but since you mentioned it I had to ask.

Does the MediaBrowser docker container auto-update the server component(s) of MediaBrowser?

I'm a long time user of media browser but always had it running on a WinOS platform.

Agreed.

My UL is on 2Mbit and I stream to work without issue.  I set Media Browser Server transcoding to Auto and on the client end it usually sets me to 720p/1Mbit.

BTW...I'm really loving the MB docker container!

Sort of off topic, but since you mentioned it I had to ask.

Does the MediaBrowser docker container auto-update the server component(s) of MediaBrowser?

I'm a long time user of media browser but always had it running on a WinOS platform.

Yes, it does.  The MB team updated it on Monday to fix an issue with the GUI not showing up.

That being said, I'm having a sort order problem with any version newer than 3.5390.  A new installation is NOT minding the file creation dates.