It feels like a new beta is imminent, thoughts on what it might contain?

JustinChase

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering you are comparing us to valve, I'll take that as a compliment. ;-)

Never had a crash or any data loss.

Nothing is actually broken in your current beta

And you keep hinting and teasing of things to come.

unHALFLIFE3?

Well you can count to 3 and valve can't.

So we do know something will come

Having been around here a while, I'm resigned to the long wait cycle and dashed hopes of delivery. However, there's a snippet in those summary release notes that confirms one of the reasons I stick with unRAID;

linux: added driver: SCSI_HPTIOP: support for HighPoint RocketRAID 3xxx/4xxx controllers, per customer request.

The ongoing willingness to add in seemingly minor tweaks like this for the benefit of a minority of customers is a real plus. This isn't my request, but I've benefited from this policy in the past and I just wanted to say thanks.

Peter

Having been around here a while, I'm resigned to the long wait cycle and dashed hopes of delivery. However, there's a snippet in those summary release notes that confirms one of the reasons I stick with unRAID;

linux: added driver: SCSI_HPTIOP: support for HighPoint RocketRAID 3xxx/4xxx controllers, per customer request.

The ongoing willingness to add in seemingly minor tweaks like this for the benefit of a minority of customers is a real plus. This isn't my request, but I've benefited from this policy in the past and I just wanted to say thanks.

Peter

Right, but if they built the kernel with every storage driver available as a module then unraid would support the devices by default instead of requiring customers requesting it.

I realize that would take up some space but that shouldn't add that much to the image size. Perhaps have modules available as a remounted subdir off the flash drive so it wouldn't increase the root image.

Peter

Right, but if they built the kernel with every storage driver available as a module then unraid would support the devices by default instead of requiring customers requesting it.

I realize that would take up some space but that shouldn't add that much to the image size. Perhaps have modules available as a remounted subdir off the flash drive so it wouldn't increase the root image.

Sometimes modules may conflict, creating issues instead of resolving them.  Just throwing everything and the kitchen sink into our kernel as modules isn't a good idea.  Just an FYI and not looking to get into a technical debate over this practice.

Peter

Sometimes modules may conflict, creating issues instead of resolving them.  Just throwing everything and the kitchen sink into our kernel as modules isn't a good idea.  Just an FYI and not looking to get into a technical debate over this practice.

Right, which is why I'd go with a real distro such as Centos / Redhat / Ubuntu that does all of this extensive testing for you. If they ship with the drivers built as modules on their base images then you know there's no troublesome conflicts.

Peter

Right, which is why I'd go with a real distro such as Centos / Redhat / Ubuntu that does all of this extensive testing for you. If they ship with the drivers built as modules on their base images then you know there's no troublesome conflicts.

Meh, that's your opinion.