[REQUEST] Mythtv Backend Docker please :)

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the reply. As for the hardware requirements I do not know what others will use bu t I intend to use an hdhomerun which is a networked tuner.  I'm sure there are PCI cards that are supported as well.  IP tuners should require no changes as far as I know.

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Hardware_Requirements

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/category:hardware

Edit: maybe i am misunderstanding dockers. My assumption was that mythtv docker could use a ubuntu or similar base image and most anything needed would be fulfilled by the base image / myth docker combo.  Is this not correct?

I guess it is possible that some users who would have hardware tuners in their unRAID box might have issues but network streamers would definitely benefit from this. Hopefully that didn't come across as sounding selfish. What are the chances of a mythtv docker being put together?  Brit do you have the skills to do so?

This thread inspired me to get an hdhomerun, which will arrive tomorrow. I am starting to experiment with "cutting the cable" and need DVR capability.

What are some details of your VM that you are using for MythTV?

Its ubuntu 14.04, you can use this guide https://help.ubuntu.com/community/MythTV/Install/Server/Backend to help set it up.

Would have a TVHeadend one, but we still need VT-d to pass the cards to a docker, correct?

Yep, that's correct.

I am still experimenting with the different PVR backends.  I have Mythbuntu running in a VM.  Install/setup is pretty straightforward.  I also have an HDHomerun so don't have to worry about passthrough.

At the end of the day, I still can't seem to move away from ServerWMC.  As much as I want to ditch my last Windows VM, ServerWMC just does EVERYTHING I want.

I think a vm is best suited for this.  It's not just mythtv.  It's a backend, mysql server, apache server and a host of other services. I have installed it on ubuntu server before but mythbuntu is really the easiest.  And it runs on ubuntu server 14.04 anyway.  I have 2 hdhomerun primes and can get a new install up and running in less than an hour, streaming hdtv to several openelec systems. The only thing you'll miss is copy once programming like HBO. But I get all other hd channels.

Another problem is where the recorded tv/buffer will go. You would have to export /var/lib/mythtv.  In the vm I just mount a 500gb laptop drive there.

• 5 months later...