new drives added, clearing 1% every 10 minutes, good or bad?

HiSoC8Y

Pretty sure the other times mentioned were for the preclear script, not the stock drive clear that unraid does when it doesn't detect a valid preclear signature. Unraid doesn't check results and do the testing that preclear does, so it's much quicker. Downside is that the drive isn't really thoroughly tested, so if you happen to have gotten a bad drive from the factory, or it was damaged in shipping, you won't know until the damaged spot is put into use.

Ok, i added three new drives, 2TB, 3TB and 6TB.  They are clearing first, and i'm nonitoring it, it's clearing at a rate of 1% every 10 minutes.

is this acceptable?

Weird, mine completed in 23 hours, all those 3 drives I mentioned

When you add a disk to unRAID without having previously run the pre-clear script then unRAID runs the equivalent of the write phase of the pre-clear script writing zeroes to every sector on the drive.  This takes around 30% of the elapsed time taken by running the pre-clear script.  This is because thye pre-clear script includes an initial read phase before the write phase and also another read phase after the write to check the results.  These additional phases are part of the stress test checking to try and ensure that a disk is not likely to have problems when the disk is added to the array.

As a rule of thumb, a WD Red takes about 10 hours per Tb for a full pre-clear, split into three stages taking 25%, 25% and 50% of that time.

For a 3Tb drive...

== Last Cycle's Pre Read Time  : 7:58:35 (104 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Zeroing time   : 7:22:50 (112 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Post Read Time : 15:21:37 (54 MB/s)
== Last Cycle's Total Time     : 30:44:01

Archived