Looking for better ideas how how to sleep/suspend my unraid box

Skank

I have no idea what plink is. Did you read the documents for it or look up any examples? You likely have to just answer yes and carry on.

I believe you had a script or something running on that media player you are using (I don't recall the details and really don't care) which would do the same as pressing the sleep button on the unMENU interface. But, you complained that the sleep button didn't work right because your player was hanging up. So, try editing the script for the sleep button and using the line Joe gave you instead of what's there now. I thought this was suggested in the other thread where you were asking for it. I'm pretty sure the script is in the unmenu folder on the flash drive. The name should be fairly obvious.

Be careful when editing the script to use unix EOF and not DOS ones. Try telneting to the server and type mc to use Midnight Commander to access the server files and do the editing.

I hate to tell you, but people here (or anywhere for that matter) generally don't want to do the work for you when it appears you won't put in any effort yourself. I think your problem of not seeming to get help stems from that fact you were told what to change but it appears you never followed up on it or tried to change it. If you'd come back after making an effort with a question about what you had tried I'm sure you would have got more help.

Peter

Skank

I have no idea what plink is. Did you read the documents for it or look up any examples? You likely have to just answer yes and carry on.

I believe you had a script or something running on that media player you are using (I don't recall the details and really don't care) which would do the same as pressing the sleep button on the unMENU interface. But, you complained that the sleep button didn't work right because your player was hanging up. So, try editing the script for the sleep button and using the line Joe gave you instead of what's there now. I thought this was suggested in the other thread where you were asking for it. I'm pretty sure the script is in the unmenu folder on the flash drive. The name should be fairly obvious.

Be careful when editing the script to use unix EOF and not DOS ones. Try telneting to the server and type mc to use Midnight Commander to access the server files and do the editing.

I hate to tell you, but people here (or anywhere for that matter) generally don't want to do the work for you when it appears you won't put in any effort yourself. I think your problem of not seeming to get help stems from that fact you were told what to change but it appears you never followed up on it or tried to change it. If you'd come back after making an effort with a question about what you had tried I'm sure you would have got more help.

Peter

well i didnt want to press yes, cause i was afraid to harm something, thatswhy i asked first.

about the sleep script.. yes i didnt go further, cause using the sleep button on unmenu, does make it go to sleep.. however, the internet explorer hangs cause its waiting for unraid to give a signal back and it doesnt, thatswhy the mediaplayer does the same thing..

You talk about the line Joe gave, but where is that? Maybe i overlooked..

Well i want to try to solve it, im going to take a look tomorrow to edit the script, if i can find it :P

use unix EOF and not dos ones? what do you mean, i know nothing about linux

i'll see if i can edit the files, i dunno how but i'll use mc and see

and yes, i just have a dsf file on the usb stick in the dune

That dsf file (which does exactly the same as the sleep unmenu button) i run from the dune so it  goes to sleep

So in other words, i give the guy from mpcclub the command i run from my pc to make unraid go to sleep, and he makes it as a dsf file which i can run from the dune

So i'm looking a way to do this from the pc (without having the explorer hanging..) so the dune wont hang either

edit: on a post from Joe L, in previous page, he says

echo "echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep" | at now + 1 minute

might try if that solves anything

but ill try editing script tomorrow

and do some searching ;)

Edit it , with editpad lite

it still hangs...

it looks like this now

#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL S3 Sleep

#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR Put the server to S3 Sleep

#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 58 $ $Date: 2010-04-17 09:13:05 -0400 (Sat, 17 Apr 2010) $

# by using a USER_SCRIPT_TEST this button

# will not show itself unless S3 is supported in /proc/acpi/sleep

# the button label will be that printed by the "awk" command

#define USER_SCRIPT_TEST cat /proc/acpi/sleep | grep "S3" | awk '{ print "Go to S3 Sleep" }'

echo "<pre>"

# pre-sleep, sync the disks

echo "Syncing disks"

/bin/sync

# go to sleep

echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep | at now + 1 minute

echo "Awaking from sleep"

# Do post-sleep activities, reset wake-on-lan

ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

Edit it , with editpad lite

it still hangs...

it looks like this now

#define USER_SCRIPT_LABEL S3 Sleep

#define USER_SCRIPT_DESCR Put the server to S3 Sleep

#UNMENU_RELEASE $Revision: 58 $ $Date: 2010-04-17 09:13:05 -0400 (Sat, 17 Apr 2010) $

# by using a USER_SCRIPT_TEST this button

# will not show itself unless S3 is supported in /proc/acpi/sleep

# the button label will be that printed by the "awk" command

#define USER_SCRIPT_TEST cat /proc/acpi/sleep | grep "S3" | awk '{ print "Go to S3 Sleep" }'

echo "<pre>"

# pre-sleep, sync the disks

echo "Syncing disks"

/bin/sync

# go to sleep

echo "Awaking from sleep"

# Do post-sleep activities, reset wake-on-lan

ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000

ethtool -s eth0 wol g

You did not add command as I described, so the echo is still running immediately.

You need to add the line as I gave in my example.

echo "echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep" | at now + 1 minute

not as you added it

ok i'll change it exactly as you say, see if that helps

edit: it worked !

woehoe

thx mate !

The dune doesnt hang anymore either..

running http://192.168.xxx.xxx:8080/user_scripts?command=Go+to+S3+Sleep

makes it go to sleep now

and bringing me to this:

sleepi.jpg

it doesnt crash..

so i got what i want now :)

Just hoping putting to sleep is safe for fire.. and doesnt use much more power than completely shut it down

• 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I am stucked witch ACPI S3 on Beta 5.10. (browsed now for hours the forum)

I have understood that

echo -n 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep is not working anymore in 5.xx

s2ram is not working starting beta4 as commented by Joe L. Both packages are not available in unmeu 1.5 anymore

echo -n mem >/sys/power/state stops the server working

My mo-board is supporting S3 (by logfile).

So: what is the actual method to set the server in S3 in 5.10b mode? If any tools needed, where to get them?

Thanks for support

Hi!

For some year ago I have issue with sleep, then I found some solutions, I added this in my syslinux.cfg, and I have not get any problem since then.

label unRAID OS
  menu default
  kernel bzimage
  append initrd=bzroot acpi_sleep=s3_bios

Peter

Is there any further explantion to get S3 working on an unRAID-Server (beta10)?

I activated S3 on my Supermicro-Board. "ethtool" shows this:

== Cut ===

Supported ports: [ TP ]

Supported link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Supports auto-negotiation: Yes

Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full

100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full

1000baseT/Full

Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only

Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes

Speed: 1000Mb/s

Duplex: Full

Port: Twisted Pair

PHYAD: 0

Transceiver: internal

Auto-negotiation: on

MDI-X: Unknown

Supports Wake-on: pumbg

Wake-on: g

Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)

Link detected: yes

=== Cut ===

My idea is to send the server to sleep automatically, when there is no traffic to the IP of the unRAID-Server for a certain time (e.g. 2 hours).

When I try to access the system the array should start automatically again.

Is there any tutorial in which is described who to do this? Or is this even possible?

Bye.

My idea is to send the server to sleep automatically, when there is no traffic to the IP of the unRAID-Server for a certain time (e.g. 2 hours).

When I try to access the system the array should start automatically again.

Is there any tutorial in which is described who to do this? Or is this even possible?

Bye.

That's not how wake-on-lan works.  You need to send a special wake-up packet. And, it has to be listening for it.

Joe L.

Hi,

I am stucked witch ACPI S3 on Beta 5.10. (browsed now for hours the forum)

I have understood that

echo -n 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep is not working anymore in 5.xx

s2ram is not working starting beta4 as commented by Joe L. Both packages are not available in unmeu 1.5 anymore

echo -n mem >/sys/power/state stops the server working

My mo-board is supporting S3 (by logfile).

So: what is the actual method to set the server in S3 in 5.10b mode? If any tools needed, where to get them?

Thanks for support

Have you tried simpleFeatures? It has a s3 sleep button. It works for me. I am running Beta 5.10. You should be able to find a way to hook into this function.

Reed

I found something yesterday night: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Acpid

echo -n mem > /sys/power/state

seems somehow to stop the server. It stopped responding, but lights did not switch off. I was not able verify yesterday if the server died or went to S3, as WOL was not working. But this seems to be a MoBo issue with my asus a7n8.

Will report further results next days.

Update:

echo -n mem >/sys/power/state halts the server, no reaction to anything at all. (PSU, CPU Fan still running, Lan Down, No wakeup on WOL, no Wakeup on Power button)  Meanwile I got WOL working, but S3 is still not working .. :-(

• 1 month later...

root@NAS:~# bash -x /boot/config/s3.sh

' drives='/dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc

+ timeout=$'15\r'

+ count=$'15\r'

/boot/config/s3.sh: line 21: syntax error near unexpected token `done'

/boot/config/s3.sh: line 21: `done'

root@NAS:~# cat /boot/config/s3.sh

#!/bin/bash

drives="/dev/sda /dev/sdb /dev/sdc"

timeout=15

count=15

while [ 1 ]

do

hdparm -C $drives | grep -q active

if [ $? -eq 1 ]

then

count=$[$count-1]

else

count=$timeout

fi

if [ $count -le 0 ]

then

powerdown

fi

# Wait a minute

echo COUNT $count

sleep 60

done

root@NAS:~#

Somebody help me!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

@bonienl, I discovered your very nice addition to the Simple Features plugin. Thanks for the hint. I was already looking quite a while for a way to send the server to sleep when no one needs it (PCs, Macs, HDTVs etc.)

When I'm trying to activate the S3 sleep function, the pulldown menu is going back to "disabled" right after I'm pressing the apply button. Syslog is showing:

Jan  6 11:59:13 Tower s3_sleep: killing s3_sleep process 8040 (Minor Issues)
Jan  6 11:59:13 Tower s3_sleep: s3_sleep process ID 11658 started, To terminate it, type: s3_sleep -q

Here is the important part of the go script:

# Simple Features Plugin
installpkg /boot/packages/simpleFeatures-0.9f.tgz
/usr/sbin/s3_sleep -a -R -F -m 30

Any idea what I did wrong?