kodi HELIX headless release

I am having another issue with the docker. img I can not stop nor start the docker containers the switch icons do nothing even after fresh install of unraid I will have to let them know.

Lou

stop/start thing is weird, but i have issues with icons and banners, found that in /boot/config/plugins/dockerman/images there are png files which correspond to container names, and they don't seem to update/overwrite when i select new icons for said containers.

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also was having the same issue where I could connect from Couchpotato and Sonarr.  the test would run that it passed ans was able to communicate with Kodi-Headless.  But everytime I tried to navigate to the Kodi webserver, I would just get a blank page.  I started to look into the logs generated from kodi and noticed that the ip address it said it was using was not in the range of 192.168.1.x, so that is why it could not connect to mysql.  Instead it was using something like 172.17.42.x.  So i opened Heidisql and added that ip address as a user and restarted the kodi docker.  And now the webserver is starting to populate with my movie cover posters.

uxYci77.png

I also was having the same issue where I could connect from Couchpotato and Sonarr.  the test would run that it passed ans was able to communicate with Kodi-Headless.  But everytime I tried to navigate to the Kodi webserver, I would just get a blank page.  I started to look into the logs generated from kodi and noticed that the ip address it said it was using was not in the range of 192.168.1.x, so that is why it could not connect to mysql.  Instead it was using something like 172.17.42.x.  So i opened Heidisql and added that ip address as a user and restarted the kodi docker.  And now the webserver is starting to populate with my movie cover posters.

uxYci77.png

inside the container or any container for that matter the ip address won't be in the subnet of your server at all but a totally different subnet.

outlined here, it's perfectly normal behaviour.

https://docs.docker.com/articles/networking/

the setting of bridge mode is supposed to allow containters to comminucate with each other on the same subnet as your unraid.

uxYci77.png

for instance ifconfig from headless container for eth0 is

eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 02:42:ac:11:00:1c

inet addr:172.17.0.28  Bcast:0.0.0.0  Mask:255.255.0.0

UP BROADCAST RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1

RX packets:30 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0

TX packets:34 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0

collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000

RX bytes:4286 (4.2 KB)  TX bytes:2757 (2.7 KB)

yet i can connect on the subnet of my unraid to this container.

In mariadb do you have both host and container ports set to 3306?

whatever your host port for mariadb is set as is the port you need to enter as MYSQLport in the variables in my template.

My host is 3306 and container is 3306 nothing in the variables below but do have 3306 in your kodi template

whatever your host port for mariadb is set as is the port you need to enter as MYSQLport in the variables in my template.

My host is 3306 and container is 3306 nothing in the variables below

nothing in the variables of my template or mysql ?

if you don't enter values in my template it won't work.

if you manually enter them in to advancedsettings.xml and leave the template settings blank it will overwrite your settings with blank values again.

Right...I get it.  I was trying to show that I had to add another user to my mariadb/mysql docker with the ip address that the kodi docker was using since it would not connect to it otherwise.

Right...I get it.  I was trying to show that I had to add another user to my mariadb/mysql docker with the ip address that the kodi docker was using since it would not connect to it otherwise.

then i suggest there is an issue with mysql/mariadb and permissions/bind address

My host is 3306 and container is 3306 nothing in the variables below

Yes I filled in the variables for the kodi ip addy , port 3306, user xbmc, pass xbmc . The above line was for mariadb only

nothing in the variables of my template or mysql ?

if you don't enter values in my template it won't work.

if you manually enter them in to advancedsettings.xml and leave the template settings blank it will overwrite your settings with blank values again.

I also had to create a passwords.xml in userdata.

<passwords>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://TOWER/Movies</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://user:password@TOWER/Movies/</to>
    </path>
    <path>
        <from pathversion="1">smb://TOWER/TVShows</from>
        <to pathversion="1">smb://user:password@TOWER/TVShows/</to>
    </path>
</passwords>

<passwords>
    <path>
    </path>
    <path>
    </path>
</passwords>

^^^ i did not need to do this with this docker or my previous gotham based docker

<passwords>
    <path>
    </path>
    <path>
    </path>
</passwords>

^^^ i did not need to do this with this docker or my previous gotham based docker

I did. Since I have users on my unraid server.

I had similar issue when I first setup my mariadb. I had specified "only connect from 192.168.1.*" or similar, logs showed it trying to connect from internal docker IP.  Once I set mariadb to "connect from any IP address" everything started working.  This was with the Gotham xbmc docker BTW.

Where do you have to go to make this change in mariadb?

Lou

I had similar issue when I first setup my mariadb. I had specified "only connect from 192.168.1.*" or similar, logs showed it trying to connect from internal docker IP.  Once I set mariadb to "connect from any IP address" everything started working.  This was with the Gotham xbmc docker BTW.

Lou

I use heidisql.  Login.  Click on Tools and scroll to user manager.  TINmfGk.png

Click add. enter your user credentials. Click save.  yxUFaxJ.png

Lou

I use heidisql.  Login.  Click on Tools and scroll to user manager.  TINmfGk.png

Click add. enter your user credentials. Click save.  yxUFaxJ.png

I'm guessing that bridge mode in docker acts for want of a better word like a nat, to all intents and purposes you can have dockers talking to each other using the ip address of the unraid box, but in reality they talk to each other on the subnet of the docker bridge, this 172.x.x.x subnet. now ordinarily that's fine because most apps accept connections from wherever but in the case of mysql/mariadb that won't work if you have restricted access to the subnet of your unraid box for instance.

FYI kodi.log goes crazy if you have set Kodi to use SQL and for any reason it cant.

This is why I say my specific problem is weird in so far that it doesnt complain that it cant see SQL but there is no actual content.

Also of interest nmap of 127.0.0.1 within the Kodi container when in host mode shows the port 3306 of the MariaDB container which is also in host mode. Fom a networking POV this looks 100% correct to me so unless anyone tells me different there should be no docker specific gotchas in here?

FYI kodi.log goes crazy if you have set Kodi to use SQL and for any reason it cant.

This is why I say my specific problem is weird in so far that it doesnt complain that it cant see SQL but there is no actual content.

Also of interest nmap of 127.0.0.1 within the Kodi container when in host mode shows the port 3306 of the MariaDB container which is also in host mode. Fom a networking POV this looks 100% correct to me so unless anyone tells me different there should be no docker specific gotchas in here?

do you have any other containers that would be using port 8080 ?

it looks like you can't specify a port in the template if running in host mode and if anything else were on that port, the container would start but the webserver wouldn't. with all the sql entries in the log you may have missed the webserver failed to start entry. just a thought.

8080 definitely free. In fact I can see the Kodi web interface it is just content empty.

Struggling to carve out quality time to debug this. Suspect it will be a simple "doh" moment :) Once the new year starts I should have time as I want to deprecate a VM dedicated to this so its important to me.

8080 definitely free. In fact I can see the Kodi web interface it is just content empty.

Struggling to carve out quality time to debug this. Suspect it will be a simple "doh" moment :) Once the new year starts I should have time as I want to deprecate a VM dedicated to this so its important to me.

pZxuvGY.png

installed needos mariadb container and made a new user kodi with all privileges and open access from anywhere (not safe i know, but just a test, will lock it down it later) but the important thing is that my container connects and creates the d/bases.

i'm running bridge mode on both containers as is the default for both when adding via template and using the ip of my unraid as ip for mariadb in MYSQLip variable of my template.

pZxuvGY.png

installed needos mariadb container and made a new user kodi with all privileges and open access from anywhere (not safe i know, but just a test, will lock it down it later) but the important thing is that my container connects and creates the d/bases.

i'm running bridge mode on both containers as is the default for both when adding via template and using the ip of my unraid as ip for mariadb in MYSQLip variable of my template.

root@Unraid-Nas:/mnt/cache/Config/maria-db# ls

MyMusic48/  aria_log.00000001  ib_logfile0  ibdata1  mysql_safe.log

MyVideos90/  aria_log_control  ib_logfile1  mysql/  performance_schema/