Norco 4220/4224 and other cases. How quiet is yours?

hodkenneth

Hello.

I've recently decided to move to server chassis for my home systems. Currently I have a full tower desktop, unRaid server, switch, router and UPS for both. And I plan to add a separate web/hosting server soon. Its starting to use up a bunch of space on the floor and desk. I was going to build something like this http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?p=3180215.

So for those that are running the 4220/4224 or similar cases. How is your noise level with stock fans (pretty loud I bet)? And then how is it with aftermarket fans? Was going to swap out the stocks fans in any case I get with some Noctua fans. But I'm willing to say the noise after would be an airflow sound and not mechanical spinning sound. Is that right?

What are some other nice 16-20ish bay cases?

Thanks, Kenny.

I recently moved my server into a 4224, coming from a tower case that could hold 12 drives.  Love the chassis.  But, absolutely change out those fans.  I got the 120mm fanwall and went with Noctua fans, but I'm sure there are plenty that will work.  The sound now is not silent, but pretty darn close to it.  Nowhere near server level noise.  It sits in a home office and doesn't bother me while I'm working in there.  Not sure if I'd want it in my bedroom, but I honestly the sound is kind of soothing.

As far as the case, I went the cheap and super easy route and got a Lack table on wheels from Ikea.  I think it was about $30, and it fits the width of the case perfectly.  For the cost and ease, it's perfect.  Definitely has a lot of excess room, but it looks better than anything I probably could have built.  And its on wheels!  Photo here.  At some point I'd like to spray paint the top of the case so it's black like the Lack.

Nice and clean.  :D

Seen a bunch of people use the IKEA tables, but the Lack is new. How much does it stick out the back? Perfect to stick a printer on too!

Did you change out the 80mm fans in the back by the I/O shield? And I thought the fan wall was 80mm also? I'd assume the higher rpm of the 80's is what causes the most noise. My Corsair SP120's in my desktop are near silent.

... So for those that are running the 4220/4224 or similar cases. How is your noise level with stock fans (pretty loud I bet)? And then how is it with aftermarket fans?

Noctua is good choice. IMHO, the best.

My fans replacement and thermal regime post:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=32267.msg295082;topicseen#msg295082

PDF with table of some popular fans paramaters comparison I've made when I was looking for it.:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=35176.msg328502;topicseen#msg328502

Nice and clean.  :D

Seen a bunch of people use the IKEA tables, but the Lack is new. How much does it stick out the back? Perfect to stick a printer on too!

Did you change out the 80mm fans in the back by the I/O shield? And I thought the fan wall was 80mm also? I'd assume the higher rpm of the 80's is what causes the most noise. My Corsair SP120's in my desktop are near silent.

Probably about 3-5 inches. 

Yes, I replaced the back fans as well with Arctic Cooling F8 Pros, but I wouldn't buy these again.  They're a super tight fit, and the F8's sort of have this rubber floating/dampening design which made them a little larger than normal.  Had to cut off some of the plastic to make it fit, and sometimes the fan blades hit the plastic covering, so I have to push them around to adjust it.  So, in short, don't go with the F8 for the back.  In fact, I may pick up some 80mm Noctua's to match.

The stock fanwall that comes with the case does has 80mm quick-removal fans, but Norco makes a 120mm fanwall bracket.  pkn also recommended Noctua.  I got 3 of the NF-F12 and they're great (need the static pressure in that case to pull all the air over the drives). 

My 4224 chassis are pretty quiet.  Both have the 120mm Fan wall which I purchased Noctua fans for..... and I found I absolutely needed the 80mm fans by the I/O sheild... without those running things get pretty warm during a parity check so they had to be replaced... I funnily enough used Arctic F8's and didn't have any problems but my chassis may be slightly different to the Norcos most people use here.

Thanks.

Is there a big difference between 4020/24's and 4220/24's? Or just the trays? The black button trays seem to be more open, but I think those are the older type.

If memory serves...

Norco RPC-4020 - 20 hotswap trays (5 rows, 4 columns), SATA connectors on backplane, has space inside (on top of drive cages) for DVD and two HDDs

Norco RPC-4024 - 24 hotswap trays (6 rows, 4 columns), SATA connectors on backplane, no space inside              (discontinued? did it ever existed?)

Norco RPC-4220 - 20 hotswap trays (5 rows, 4 columns), SAS connectors on backplane, has space inside (on top of drive cages) for DVD and two HDDs

Norco RPC-4224 - 24 hotswap trays (6 rows, 4 columns), SAS connectors on backplane, no space inside

Trays are the same, within "generation" of these cases.

• 1 year later...