Replacing parity

Earache

I purchased a 3TB Seagate to replace my 2TB WD parity drive.

I'm having issues not being able to assign my old 2TB to a disk.

What I've done is:

1)Shutdown

2)Install new 3TB drive

3)reboot

4)Assign 3TB drive as Parity

5)Ran Parity-Sync

After the parity-sync, I can't assign my old 2tb as disk 3, it gives me a invalid array.  I don't know what to do and do not want to lose my data.  Any help would be appreciated.

I have a full license.

Should I pre-clear the old parity drive before doing anything?

Included a screenshot RuDoKlY.png

I would wait until you have successfully done a parity sync with the new drive.

When that is done you should do the pre-clear on the old parity drive (assuming you are adding it to the array as an additional drive).  As presumably the old parity drive is well-tested you could save a lot of time on the pre-clear by using the -n option to only do the write phase.

Your screenshot looks like you are trying to assign a new parity drive and the old parity as data at the same time. Do not assign the old drive until you have rebuilt parity. And you will have to preclear as mentioned or unRAID will take your array offline while it clears it. Any drive added to a parity array must be clear to match existing parity.

I did not think unRAID would let you do a parity sync if it thinks the wrong drive is assigned to parity.  If it does it sounds as if there is a bug somewhere in this area - either it should not let you do the sync, or it should accept the new drive.

To correct your current issue you might want to try the sequence:

• Stop the array
  • Set the Parity to unsassigned
  • Start the array in unprotected mode.  This should cause unRAID to 'forget' the previous parity drive
  • Stop the array
  • Assign the new parity drive
  • Start the array to do a parity sync

If disk3 in this screenshot is your old parity drive, unassign it.

Did not spot that!

I guess the system might be getting confused by an attempt to simultaneously change the parity disk and add to the number of drives in the system? 

There was a mention of a parity sync apparently succeeding.  My guess is that maybe it overwrote whatever was on disk 3 with parity information?

At this point I might just be easiest to do a 'new config' and assign the drives as they are wanted to finish up?

Disk 3 was unassigned.

Here's what I did prior to my screenshot

1)Assign Seagate 3TB to parity

2)Started array

3)Ran the course of parity-sync

4)preclear on WD 2tb (Disk3)

5)stopped array

6)attempted to assign WD 2TB to Disk 3

I'm completely stumped.  Does 'New Config' wipe data off the drives or is it just the unraid configuration?

Disk 3 was unassigned.

Here's what I did prior to my screenshot

1)Assign Seagate 3TB to parity

2)Started array

3)Ran the course of parity-sync

4)preclear on WD 2tb (Disk3)

5)stopped array

6)attempted to assign WD 2TB to Disk 3

That sounds like it should have worked - no sure why it did not.  I guess there could be a bug, but it is not clear exactly what it is.

I'm completely stumped.  Does 'New Config' wipe data off the drives or is it just the unraid configuration?

The 'new config' option (on the Tools tab) just makes unRAID forget all current disk assignments.  When you assign them if they already have data it is not wiped.  When you start the array they should come up with their data already visible.  If by any chance they show as UnMountable or Unformatted then something has gone wrong so do NOT format them as that would wipe the data.  Having said that the new Disk 3 may indicate it needs formatting (which would be OK) - not the ones that have existing data.

So New Config only wipes array config and nothing else?

Yes.

The one thing you must not do is accidentally assign a data drive as the parity drive as starting the array would trigger a parity sync causing overwriting of data.  However as long as you are careful with your disk assignments that should not happen.  It is always useful to have screenshot of current assignments.  If in doubt you can always initially set up the drives without a parity disk assigned and start the array to check things out and then only when you are happy stop the array and assign the parity.

Fixed.

Here is what I did this time.

1)Stop Array

2)Assign Seagate 3TB to parity

3)Started array

4)Let it parity sync

4)Stopped array

5)Assigned WD 2TB (old parity) to disk 3, which resulted in not being able to start the array (see pictures above for reason).

6)Pulled some hair out

7)Tools > New Config

8)Pulled out hair once again because it wasn't resetting.

9)Rebooted

10)Tools>New Config (YAY IT WORKED!)

11)Reassigned drives and formated WD 2tB

12) Posted here.

My next question is how do I update from unraid 6.0-beta10a to the latest without losing my dockers/setups?

My next question is how do I update from unraid 6.0-beta10a to the latest without losing my dockers/setups?

Read the upgrade instructions near the bottom of this page:

http://dnld.lime-technology.com/beta/unRAIDServer-6.0-beta14b-x86_64.txt

And I would read the first post of each of the succeeding beta releases to see if there are any got-cha's for updating the release you are currently on.

Archived