unRaid web gui offline again

This has been a recurring problem that seems to happen randomly. Before I start trying to solve it I'd like to develope a basic game plan.

I'm fairly sure that rebooting the server will bring it back online. How can I do this safely without access to the web gui?

What do I need to post to get some help diagnosing the cause for this repeating problem?

Edit: I have access to the shares and also to unMenu, just not the unRaid GUI.

First off lets ask the main question....

WHY CAN'T THE GUI RECOVER FROM A CRASH??

secondly in answer to your question here is some thing i read on one of this forums pages and then cut and paste to my google docs, so apologies to the owner of this text for not giving credit as i forget who did it.

There is no command to re-start the array other than through the management interface (other than a reboot).

To stop the array you must stop samba (since otherwise it would keep the disks busy)

/root/samba stop

then, you must un-mount each of the data drives

umount /dev/md1

umount/dev/md2

etc

Then you can stop the array

/root/mdcmd stop

To restart the array at that point, the easiest, and what I do, is type:

reboot

Thanks. I've attached a copy of syslog if anyone cares to have a look. It's unedited per previous discussion of this problem, so it's rather long. I know the gui was responding as of yesterday morning so whatever happened occurred within the last 48 hours or so. I see a few "Machine check events" (not sure what that is), but nothing obviously related. Not that I would know. :)

syslog-2015-04-04.txt.zip

secondly in answer to your question here is some thing i read on one of this forums pages and then cut and paste to my google docs, so apologies to the owner of this text for not giving credit as i forget who did it.

There is no command to re-start the array other than through the management interface (other than a reboot).

To stop the array you must stop samba (since otherwise it would keep the disks busy)

/root/samba stop

umount /dev/md1

umount/dev/md2

etc

/root/mdcmd stop

reboot

Thanks for this. Worked great after I figured out the typo.:)

Think I'll save it myself for next time.

/root/samba stop

umount /dev/md1

umount/dev/md2

etc

/root/mdcmd stop

reboot

Thanks for this. Worked great after I figured out the typo.:)

Think I'll save it myself for next time.

if you've got the clean powerdown package installed you could also just do

powerdown -r

Thanks. I'll have to make some time to do some research and figure out how to modify the plugin for use with version 5. Have to figure out how to install plugins too I guess.

The posted link includes a plugin for v5 so nothing to modify. Install just like any other v5 plugin. Put the plg file in config/plugins and reboot.

So I don't need to worry about the warning that Powerdown doesn't take the drives offline properly in v5?

Using this on V5 may subject you to weaknesses in the way that plugins shut down.  The V5 plugins need to have an unmounting_disks event script so they can be shut down by powerdown.  The plugin authors should provide this mechanism, but may not have always done that.  If unRAID is stopping and shutting down from the webgui, then there should not be any problems.

So I don't need to worry about the warning that Powerdown doesn't take the drives offline properly in v5?

Using this on V5 may subject you to weaknesses in the way that plugins shut down.  The V5 plugins need to have an unmounting_disks event script so they can be shut down by powerdown.  The plugin authors should provide this mechanism, but may not have always done that.  If unRAID is stopping and shutting down from the webgui, then there should not be any problems.

What its saying is that if the plugins don't support the event "unmounting disks", then it will force the plugins to close

• 2 weeks later...