instal v6

Smitty2k1

So I'm running the latest unraid v5 on my PLUS license and I'd like to take the plunge and upgrade to v6. Reading the release notes, it says to instal like it is a brand new server, but copy my old config directory over.

Is there a reason I need to copy the config directory? If I want to start with a 'blank slate' can I just instal it like a new server (without losing my data of course?)

So I'm running the latest unraid v5 on my PLUS license and I'd like to take the plunge and upgrade to v6. Reading the release notes, it says to instal like it is a brand new server, but copy my old config directory over.

Is there a reason I need to copy the config directory? If I want to start with a 'blank slate' can I just instal it like a new server (without losing my data of course?)

Yes you can start like a new server.  Most people want to bring across their current settings but that is not mandatory. Points to note

• It is a good idea to have a copy of the current contents of the flash drive backed up to your PC/Mac so that you have all the current settings saved in case they are needed.
  • You MUST copy your unRAID  .key file from your old flash setup to the config folder on the freshly formatted one.
  • Make sure you know which is your parity drive (a screen shot of the current setup is a good idea).  If you start from fresh then you have to reassign all the drives and assigning a data drive as parity would destroy its contents.  Assigning drives previously used by unRAID as data drives keeps their existing data intact.
  • All top level folders on the data/cache drives will be set up as shares with default settings.  You need to change any that should not have default settings once unRAID v6 is running.

Check out this wiki: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Upgrading_to_UnRAID_v6

• You MUST copy your unRAID  .key file from your old flash setup to the config folder on the freshly formatted one.

Can I reuse the Unraid 5 key on a Unraid 6 Flash? I thought I need a new key if I move to a new USB stick?

I would like to set up the v6 on a new USB and keep the v5 as backup until the new one works.

Can I reuse the Unraid 5 key on a Unraid 6 Flash? I thought I need a new key if I move to a new USB stick?

I would like to set up the v6 on a new USB and keep the v5 as backup until the new one works.

If you have 2 unRAID keys, you can do what you want. But with only one key, you need to backup the files on the current flash, and then prepare the flash for v6, following the instructions provided. If you need to go back to v5, you would need to similarly backup the v6 flash files, and then go back to v5.

Archived