Server reshuffle

At the moment I am very worried about this whole upgrading the entire server thing as I have about 39tb that I am worried about losing.

I am going to let the drive finishing rebuilding and then do a full 8tb parity check. I will then check smart and then go back to v5 and try another rebuild.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

At the moment I am very worried about this whole upgrading the entire server thing as I have about 39tb that I am worried about losing.

I am going to let the drive finishing rebuilding and then do a full 8tb parity check. I will then check smart and then go back to v5 and try another rebuild.

No backups ?? !!

How many drives have you upgraded so far?

Note that IF you have not used your server at all since starting the upgrade process [more precisely, if you haven't WRITTEN to your server at all] AND if you still have the 3TB drives and they also haven't been written to; then you have virtually no risk of data loss ... worst case is you could always do a "New Config" using the old 3TB drives and be right back where you started.

Have two 39tb servers (one for backup) would be insane and extremely costly. I deliberately did not write anything to the server before this upgrade. I calculated 82MB/s too. Let's see what v5 can do because as I said the parity drive build speed was great!

My server is getting to the 3tb speed bump soon!

Have two 39tb servers (one for backup) would be insane and extremely costly ...

Matter of perspective -- depends on how you'd feel if you LOST that 39TB of data  :)

I have a 25TB media server and a 15TB "other" server (misc stuff) ... and a 3rd unit with 45TB of capacity to back those two up ==>  AND a complete set of offline drives with yet another copy of the backups for my media server (stored in a fireproof media-rated safe).  I do NOT like losing data  :) :)  [and don't ever plan to]

My server is getting to the 3tb speed bump soon!

It'll be interesting to see how fast it goes when it crosses the 3TB boundary.  There's a possibility it will simply finish almost immediately => if the drive was pre-cleared and UnRAID noticed the pre-clear flag, then it will "know" that the rest of the drive is already zeroes and may simply finish the rebuild.    If it doesn't "know" that it will write zeroes to the rest of the drive ... which should be very fast, since it can happen at max speed with no other disk operations needed.

The rebuild FS is rfs so there should be no problem going back to v5. However will going back to v5 mess anything else up?

As long as you haven't done anything v6-specific [adding an XFS or btrfs disk;  set up Dockers or VMs; etc.] there should be no issue at all reverting to v5.

The rebuild FS is rfs so there should be no problem going back to v5. However will going back to v5 mess anything else up?

Why do you need v5 compatibility?

v6 is getting close to rc and its difference w/ v5 is quite (positively) significant, especially on more modern hardware.

Disk1 rebuild finished perfectly and so did the parity check. I cancelled the parity check at 3.1tb.

I shut off server replaced disk2 and then turn it on. I then assigned disk2 to the array and clicked start and now it has been assigning to the server for the last 2.5 hours!! Parity, disk1 and disk2 lights are active. Its happened again but for much longer.

If something ever goes wrong I have the original 3tb disk1 and disk2 but do I need the originial 4tb parity disk?

Disk1 rebuild finished perfectly and so did the parity check. I cancelled the parity check at 3.1tb.

I shut off server replaced disk2 and then turn it on. I then added disk2 to the array and clicked start and now it has been adding to the server for the last 2.5 hours!! Parity, disk1 and disk2 lights are active. Its happened again but for much longer.

If something ever goes wrong I have the original 3tb disk1 and disk2 but do I need the originial 4tb parity disk?

I'm a little confused by your use of the word "add". Normally "add" refers to adding a new (hopefully precleared) disk to a new slot in the array. Is unRAID rebuilding a replaced disk, or adding a disk?

May 13 03:02:28 Unraid emhttp: reiserfs: resizing /mnt/disk2

The re-sizing of the partition on the disk? I am assuming this was re-sizing from build source 3TB (old drive) to build destination 8TB (new drive)?

I just did a quick Google Search on re-sizing RFS partitions of large sizes and they all reference "Several Hours" to do a large re-size!?

Disk1 only took 1.5 hours to "resize" though.

This is all getting frustrating danioj!!

I have a feeling I am stuck on v6 because v5 may not resize.

Obi-Wan: Patience.

Luke: And sacrifice Han and Leia?

Yoda: If you honor what they fight for? Yes.

Obi-Wan: If you choose to face Vader, you will do it alone. I cannot interfere.

Luke: I understand. R2? Fire up the converters.

Obi-Wan: Luke! Don't give in to hate. That leads to the Dark Side.

:);)8)

Touché!

I need to relax and take a deep breath and count to 10.

If something goes wrong I will only need the original data disks and not the original parity disk? Is that right?

:)

I believe that is so as long as there hasn't been anything written to the 3TB drives then you could initiate a "New Config" using the old 3TB drives and be where you were before you started the upgrade. You would then just re-build parity.

EDIT: Actually that is almost exactly what Gaz said above.

No backups ?? !!

How many drives have you upgraded so far?

Note that IF you have not used your server at all since starting the upgrade process [more precisely, if you haven't WRITTEN to your server at all] AND if you still have the 3TB drives and they also haven't been written to; then you have virtually no risk of data loss ... worst case is you could always do a "New Config" using the old 3TB drives and be right back where you started.