Server reshuffle

Ok. Everything seems to be going ok for now.

What's the best way to transfer files from one drive to another. My way was to map the drives and then do a cut and paste.

Glad to hear. You could do that. You could also use mc or just use cp from the command line. If  you are uncomfortable on the command line and or just want a simple way of doing it I'd just do what you are doing (eg map each drive on your Windows box) and use Teracopy (which can pause, resume, retry etc) with verify copy set (to ensure successfull copy) and set the copy and walk away. Once done, delete from source drive (I like to do this two step copy / delete method just in case I made a mistake and or something happens).

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What's the best way to transfer files from one drive to another. My way was to map the drives and then do a cut and paste.

This would mean copying like this: unRAID-1==>LAN==>Winbox==>LAN==>unRAID-2... Not a problem, but kinda quirky. Logging in directly into unRAID (console, telnet, ssh, whatever) and using mc (Midnight Commander, it's a Linux file manager) would be more natural, IMHO.

I've been using both mc and teracopy on a separate windows box. When I have multiple copy operations to queue (move folder A from disk1 to disk4, THEN copy folder B from disk2 to disk3, THEN...), teracopy it is. Sure, it's slower due to the added latency (Especially when there are lots of smaller files), but mc can't queue...

I have just realised that I have to transfer 23tb from the older disks to the seagates!!!!

How much faster is MC over teracopy? What's write speeds should I be getting?

On my array, when I copy with mc I average 40mb/s (HGST 4tb 7200rpm parity, wd red 4tb data disk). Teracopy (same vlan & subnet, cisco sg300-10 gb switch) of the same disks avg about 32-35mb/s.

Fastest way for you is to copy the files to each target data disks, and create the parity after all the data has been moved to the new disks.

Remember if you copy disk to disk you bypass the share fill settings. If you know exactly which disk your data needs to go to then off you go. If you'd prefer tolet Unraid decide via Fill Method and Split Level Settings copy to a user share.

Also, as I proved in my thread on the new 8TB Seagates just a few weeks ago, using Teracopy I averaged ~40MB/s* to a Parity protected Array copying share to share over a Gigabit Network.

*For Files 400MB and above.

Note: copying to an unprotected Array is going to be quicker. But, it's not protected and given you have so much data and no Backup I wouldn't advise it.

You mean break parity. Move data and then rebuild parity. A bit risky for the amount of data I have!

This command looks like what I need.

cp -r /mnt/disk# /mnt/disk#

I have always used the Fill Up method.

If you're intent on using the command line then I'd advise you use mc over just cp.

mc is basically a front end for all the basic file operation commands and directory manipulations such as copying, moving, renaming, linking, and deleting. PLUS I believe it has suspend and resume operations.

BUT if I were you I'd stay away from the command line if there is no need to use it and id suggest in this scenario there isn't a need. Just my two cents.

You mean break parity. Move data and then rebuild parity. A bit risky for the amount of data I have!

This command looks like what I need.

cp -r /mnt/disk# /mnt/disk#

I have always used the Fill Up method.

(Devil's advocate)

Yes, but they're all media files that can be redownloaded/reripped right?

And dont you have the option to maintain the old array while copying the data one by one to the new disks, thereby you have your original protected disks while making copies at 2-3x faster speed? We're talking about days vs weeks.

If I telent in to use MC or Command line and do the copy will I need to leave my PC on?

Start a screen session then you can disconnect and resume it later. Since it looks like from skimming the thread that you are now on v6 (update your sig), you can install "screen" by installing the NerdPack plugin.

See here for more about screen.

Got it.

Could I also plug a monitor into the back of my server and do it that way too?

And if you run screen on that local console session, then you can open/continue the screen session from ssh/telnet/local console anyway you want it.

I did the command line copy from disk13 to disk1 and its writing at 22.7MB/s. I have to transfer 1.75TB of data. A very long time. And then I have to transfer 7 x 3tb worth of data after that!!! Oh dear. I will try cut and paste. Then MC. I thought there was a MC bug with respect to user shares or something?

I have two shares. HD and SD. HD is spread all over disk1 to disk13 and SD is only on disk12.

Once I copy the files on disk13 and verify that the copy is good, do I just right click delete HD share on disk13?

Then to remove disk13 from the server I go to Tools and New Config? (I have taken a print screen of the current disk positions)

I did the command line copy from disk13 to disk1 and its writing at 22.7MB/s. I have to transfer 1.75TB of data. A very long time. And then I have to transfer 7 x 3tb worth of data after that!!! Oh dear. I will try cut and paste. Then MC. I thought there was a MC bug with respect to user shares or something?

I have two shares. HD and SD. HD is spread all over disk1 to disk13 and SD is only on disk12.

Once I copy the files on disk13 and verify that the copy is good, do I just right click delete HD share on disk13?

Then to remove disk13 from the server I go to Tools and New Config? (I have taken a print screen of the current disk positions)

Maybe now you see the point of my posts above :)

ysss what you suggested is what I did when I moved from raid to unraid. But I can't risk with the huge amount of data I have.

But you'd still have the original parity-protected data on the 3tb drives while you copy them all to the 8tb drives one by one.

I tried teracopy and it was rubbish. It kept timing out on the second file transfer in the queue. I am doing a copy using windows 8 and I am currently getting 33MB/s average. Strange that it's faster than command line. I will try MC next.

It's a shame that you have formed that opinion. I have found the "stable" version of Teracopy to be excellent and more than reliable.

If you see the thread I contributed to about the 8TB Seagate's - all those copies were done using Teracopy. Plus - as if to cement my position - I am currently restoring (copying) 11TB of Data from my Backup Server to my new Main Server using Teracopy with validate copy selected. Solid and easy as ever.

I was using the alpha version. Maybe that was the problem.

Yeah - the Alpha is buggy as ALL hell! Plus they haven't (as of a month or so ago when I checked it) even implemented some basic features like overwrites.

I am using the latest stable on W10.

Anyway - its all probably moot for you now - how are things progressing anyway - without issue I hope!?  :)