Current Pending Sectors in new server build

Now getting a load of 'sync error corrected'... hmm something not right with this whole process.  I presume the formatting didn't help the cause...

Total size: 3 TB 

Elapsed time: 27 minutes 

Current position: 44,4 GB (1,5 %) 

Estimated speed: 28,6 MB/sec 

Estimated finish: 1 day, 4 hours, 41 minutes 

Sync errors corrected:  10820680

Not sure I followed everything that happened here, but where it probably went wrong is that unRAID never saw the drive was missing.

To rebuild onto another disk, unRAID will see that the original disk is missing and you can assign the other disk and unRAID will rebuild.

To rebuild onto the same disk, you must make unRAID recognize that the disk is missing. This is done by starting the array with the disk unassigned. Then you can stop, assign, start and rebuild.

To rebuild onto the same disk, you must make unRAID recognize that the disk is missing. This is done by starting the array with the disk unassigned. Then you can stop, assign, start and rebuild.

Ok, that sounds about right.  I didn't start the array, so Unraid thinks that it is new and is now computing parity.  Makes sense.  As for the sync errors corrected, it's basically saying "parity is incorrect, I need to fix it", right??

Edit: one more thing.  I have completely lost contact to the web interface, telnet still works. Bloody annoying...

Ok, that sounds about right.  I didn't start the array, so Unraid thinks that it is new and is now computing parity.  Makes sense.  As for the sync errors corrected, it's basically saying "parity is incorrect, I need to fix it", right??

No, I think the problem is not that unRAID thinks it is new, it just thinks it is the same disk it already had assigned to that slot, but because it didn't have a file system it offered to format it.

So, what you have now is a disk with an empty file system. This is not consistent with parity, since parity was built from the data that was on the disk previously.

What you did is almost certainly the following ...

=>  You removed the drive, but never Started the array so UnRAID would recognize you had a "missing" disk.  [Remember I had asked about that in reply #16 => if you didn't understand that you should have asked !!]    As I noted then, if you made sure it was first seen as "missing", you could have then re-assigned it and it would have rebuilt the data on the drive.

=>  Since UnRAID didn't know the drive was "missing", it simply thought the formatting had been corrupted.    So instead of treating it as a replacement drive, it simply offered to reformat what it thought was the same drive that had always been there.

=>  Since it was actually NOT the "same drive" -- at least not in terms of its contents -- the parity information is completely wrong, since the drive's contents aren't the same as they were.    So you're getting a very large number of sync errors as the parity information is being updated.    This is NORMAL give what you've done to this point => just let it finish and all will be well.

But if you had hoped to rebuild the previous data on the drive, it's far too late to do that.