Unraid V6.2 Beta 19 DVB Files

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Emailed TBS again but no reply yet.... Have asked them for an update and pointed them to the open source drivers above to show them how to do it! ;)

EDIT:  Reply back from TBS

hi,

i just want to let you know, tomorrow the update should be published on our website. sorry, it took several days, but it includes more updates than just kernel 4.1.x and 4.2 fixes. i just didn't want to release one update and few days later another, but pack everything in a single update.

best regards,

constantine

CHBMB, I confirm that your 6.1 RC1 build is running great. I'm using the 6-1-RC1-Mediabuild and the Digital Devices Cine S2 6.5 tuner card (other HW please see my signature - it is the Test & Backup Server)

openELEC is also working well. Unfortunately the Emby Add-on for Kodi doesn't see to be compatible but that's not your business  :D

Thanks a lot for the build!!

CHBMB, I confirm that your 6.1 RC1 build is running great. I'm using the 6-1-RC1-Mediabuild and the Digital Devices Cine S2 6.5 tuner card (other HW please see my signature - it is the Test & Backup Server)

openELEC is also working well. Unfortunately the Emby Add-on for Kodi doesn't see to be compatible but that's not your business  :D

Thanks a lot for the build!!

That the Openelec build? Or the Experimental one?

Thanks for letting me know.  Appreciate it as I can only test the TBS one.

TBS have emailed me to say the new drivers have been released.  Pretty impressed with the turnaround to be honest.

Will do a RC2 TBS build to confirm the drivers are compiling but otherwise will probably wait until final release to churn out the others.

What build would one use for an Avermedia dual ATSC tuner card for the US? I have no experience with tuner cards in Linu, only Windows, but I am looking top move the backend over to my unRAID box now that I see there is a working Myth and TVHeadend option. If I had to guess it would be the OpenElec build.

What build would one use for an Avermedia dual ATSC tuner card for the US? I have no experience with tuner cards in Linu, only Windows, but I am looking top move the backend over to my unRAID box now that I see there is a working Myth and TVHeadend option. If I had to guess it would be the OpenElec build.

No idea but that would be my guess as well.  Try the Openelec one and use the DVB Mediabuild Check plugin to see if the drivers are installed.

Would you mind posting the exact model number of your card and I'll try to look into it a bit more.  Thanks

Sure. I have more than one, but the one I really want to use is a dual tuner card model # A188-B. It is also known as the AVerTVHD Duet.

Thank you. I won't have a chance to play with this until either late tonight or sometime this weekend.

Hmmm, the link you posted and the quick googling I did doesn't seem to indicate there's any decent support for your card under Linux.  There was a mention on a Ubuntu thread that someone may have been working on it but can't find anything more.

Suspect it's going to be problematic for you.

The options as I see them are:

1. Continue doing whatever you're doing.

2. Buy a new DVB card that has Linux support.

3. If your hardware is vt-d compatible you could try passing the card through to a Windows virtual machine and run your tuner software in that.  I used to do this up until fairly recently, using Argus TV on Windows 7 VM.  You will need to check that you can passthrough compatible as not all setups are.

4.  Try the Openelec build and see?

LinuxTV.org is a great resource if you need to start shopping for a new tuner to check Linux compatibility.

Well DVB cards are not what we use in the US, so that is not an option. They are either NTSC, ATSC or QAM. I'll do some digging and testing. I may just buy a HD Homerun as they seem to work with about everything.

My bad, never really have got my head around what you use on the other side of the pond, thought you all had cable?

EDIT: When I say DVB I meant that as a generic tuner card, whatever the standard.

We do have cable, if you want to pay a crazy price for it. In the US it breaks down like this:

Over the Air (digital antenna):

ATSC

Cable:

QAM

NTSC was our old SD standard which is now dead. A lot of people talk about DVB tuners, but that just confuses people in the US as a DVB tuner doesn't work here.

Seems none of my tuner cards have support under Linux. I guess Silicondust may be getting a new customer.

Thanks !!! finly i dont must do it this myself hihihi

maybe next time you can put kernel udpate aswel ?

exmple when unraid using 4.1.1 you can update do 4.1.3 :)

for do it this download patch for update step by step

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/incr/patch-4.1.1-2.xz

https://www.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v4.x/incr/patch-4.1.2-3.xz

and you must modify always in last patch line with version

Line 192

VERSION = 4
PATCHLEVEL = 1
-SUBLEVEL = 2
+SUBLEVEL = 3
EXTRAVERSION =
NAME = Series 4800

to

VERSION = 4
PATCHLEVEL = 1
-SUBLEVEL = 2
+SUBLEVEL = 1
EXTRAVERSION =
NAME = Series 4800

and you apply in kernel source with

patch -p1 < ...name_of_patch...

then still kernel will showing 4.1.1 but will be up to date (so real 4.1.3 ;) )

and patches for Openelec better pass becuase there using also 4.1.3 :)

Thanks !!! finly i dont must do it this myself hihihi

maybe next time you can put kernel udpate aswel ?

and you apply in kernel source with

patch -p1 < ...name_of_patch...

then still kernel will showing 4.1.1 but will be up to date (so real 4.1.3 ;) )

and patches for Openelec better pass becuase there using also 4.1.3 :)

Hmmm, I'd be worried about running a different kernel for the mediabuild than the native Unraid build.  May improve the Openelec stuff but we've seen problems before with kernel updates and Unraid releases which introduces bugs, my gut feeling is to not to update the kernel ahead of Unraid.

I'm happy to consider it further but it would only be in response to people having trouble because the kernel wasn't updated.

Unless I'm missing something?

Glad you're pleased I'm doing them, it is a little time consuming during betas and RC releases and I now understand why we sometimes had to wait a little while for releases.  ;D

At the moment I can knock them out relatively quickly, but if for whatever reason I can't carry on then I've documented it in the wiki for people to do it themselves..  ::)

Hmmm, I'd be worried about running a different kernel for the mediabuild than the native Unraid build.  May improve the Openelec stuff but we've seen problems before with kernel updates and Unraid releases which introduces bugs, my gut feeling is to not to update the kernel ahead of Unraid.

i always this do it when i made my build, so i 100% sure this is save - and this is subversion 4.1.xx so nothing generaly change, just fixes, improvments, that changes are light. If that will be next version example 4.2 - yes that could be problem sometimes, example unraid-md driver could not work etc.

About time consuming yes that was my main problem :) i event start write script for full automatic recompile kernel

with media tree, but also here i can't find time to test and finish.

BTW. IN LATEST build you forget add driver :)

bzroot-6-1-RC2-Mediabuild

there no exist /lib/modules/4.1.1-unRAID/kernel/drivers/media dir :)

im suppose you forget rsync do it ;)

also size could tell us - is something wrong - to small

i always this do it when i made my build, so i 100% sure this is save - and this is subversion 4.1.xx so nothing generaly change, just fixes, improvments, that changes are light. If that will be next version example 4.2 - yes that could be problem sometimes, example unraid-md driver could not work etc.

About time consuming yes that was my main problem :) i event start write script for full automatic recompile kernel

with media tree, but also here i can't find time to test and finish.

If you're happy to share the script Iim happy to help test it, especially if it'll save some time.

I've also started to adapt the script gfjardim initially gave me to try and do each version so I can automate the process.

BTW. IN LATEST build you forget add driver :)

bzroot-6-1-RC2-Mediabuild

there no exist /lib/modules/4.1.1-unRAID/kernel/drivers/media dir :)

im suppose you forget rsync do it ;)

also size could tell us - is something wrong - to small

My bad, wll redo it now..  :-[

That'll serve me right for rushing things....

EDIT: Done and uploaded.

For anyone that uses the build.sh script & the wiki to do their own builds, I've updated it slightly to include mercurial and python to enable me to do the Digital Devices Mediabuild without using a VM.  The wiki has been updated to reflect this change.

Don't know what I was doing wrong when I tried to install mercurial last time, it's easy..  ::)

This will make it far easier when doing the digital devices build to make sure the drivers are up to date.

EDIT: Python is version 2.7.9 same as in Nerd Tools to avoid causing conflicts...

I know the whole "what should and shouldn't be included in stock unRAID has been bought up before, but might it be conceivably possible to come up with a plugin that can add extra drivers to the system on boot?  That way you wouldn't need a custom OS build to run extra software.  Obviously I'm speaking from ignorance here.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate what you're doing here, since I've read through it and it's fantastic.  It's just very daunting for me to make the jump from stock to custom :)

Looking at moving from a Windows box running DVBLink to possibly TVHeadend (or stay with DVBLink if I can find a docker template for it).

I know the whole "what should and shouldn't be included in stock unRAID has been bought up before, but might it be conceivably possible to come up with a plugin that can add extra drivers to the system on boot?  That way you wouldn't need a custom OS build to run extra software.  Obviously I'm speaking from ignorance here.

That's not to say that I don't appreciate what you're doing here, since I've read through it and it's fantastic.  It's just very daunting for me to make the jump from stock to custom :)

Looking at moving from a Windows box running DVBLink to possibly TVHeadend (or stay with DVBLink if I can find a docker template for it).

It's a good question, I believe piotrasd is working on such a system but it hasn't yet come to fruition.  And I'm no Linux wizard, so for me to do it would be above my abilities.

It's not really that awful what is being done here.  The Linux kernel contains support for some DVB cards but not all.  But this support isn't enabled in Unraid.

The Unraid OS is really just two files bzimage & bzroot.  Essentially all I do is decompress bzroot, enable the media support and then copy a few drivers over.  I don't change anything else in the Unraid distro although piotrasd was previously updating the Linux kernel and without issues, this isn't a path I have gone down and wouldn't without discussion with Limetech (which I have contacted them about to get an official stance)

I suppose a decent analogy would be taking a Windows iso from a DVD, adding some drivers to it and writing it to a new DVD.

The way Unraid is distributed as these two files means these steps are necessary.

I suppose I could create a plugin to download and replace these files for you, and it would give the appearance of it being a lot more user friendly, but behind the scenes it would be the same.

The beauty of the system that Unraid uses is that bzimage & bzroot are essentially static files, that don't change, all your machine specific config files are elsewhere which is why in Unraid in general it's so easy to up/downgrade between versions (albeit the upgrade from V5 => V6 is a bit more involved, partly due to the change from 32bit to 64bit OS)

So if you have a problem with any of the files here, just replace the files and reboot, hey presto, back to stock, also let me know so I can look into it.

A few of us have been using this system for a long time (going back to at least the V5 betas) without any problems, but once docker took off and creation of new TVHeadEnd & MythTV dockers as well as a new V6 TVHeadEnd plugin this has taken off a bit more.

I hope that has helped clear things up a bit.

I myself have migrated from a Windows TV Backend (Argus) to using this (Was using WHS2011 bare metal then a Win7 VM on Unraid) which is how I started doing this and making them available (although I only need the TBS version myself)

The important thing to check is that your proposed card actually has Linux drivers, worthwhile heading over to linuxtv.org and do some googling about your card in Linux before splashing some cash.

Give it a whirl, don't be scared, any probs post here and I'll do my best to help out, don't worry you can't be anywhere near as big a pain in the a**e as Monkeyair!  ;D (Sorry Dave, couldn't resist but you did go through a period of changing your card every day - in his defence it was actually a motherboard issue)

Thanks for taking the time - much appreciated.  I'm coming from WHS2011 too, and (apart from client backups which I can sort), PVR is the only reason it's turned on.

I'm currently using a TBS DVB-S card and and old Hauppage DVB-T card.  I'll need to replace the latter anyhow, since it's a PCI card and my unRAID mobo won't support it.  I've earmarked a TBS quad tuner DVB-T card, and thinking of upgrading the DVB-S card to a 4-input at the same time (not that I ever watch/record that much at once, but you never know!).

I'm up to speed on the principles of it now - thank you.  Now unRAID has moved to a bona-fide OS, I'd expect things like custom driver and media support to be baked in (although equally I don't want to see it bloat up and be unsupportable).

Just out of interest, what are you guys using to get the TV out the other end (and feel free to ignore if this hijacks the thread)?  I had been using Windows Media Center for years, but I've got a Raspberry Pi running OSMC that's only used for live TV.  Everything else is Plex->Chromecast.  Ideally, it'd be great to get the TV straight to Chromecast, but all Plex implementations seem a bit of a crowbar.

Thanks for taking the time - much appreciated.  I'm coming from WHS2011 too, and (apart from client backups which I can sort), PVR is the only reason it's turned on.

I'm currently using a TBS DVB-S card and and old Hauppage DVB-T card.  I'll need to replace the latter anyhow, since it's a PCI card and my unRAID mobo won't support it.  I've earmarked a TBS quad tuner DVB-T card, and thinking of upgrading the DVB-S card to a 4-input at the same time (not that I ever watch/record that much at once, but you never know!).

I'm up to speed on the principles of it now - thank you.  Now unRAID has moved to a bona-fide OS, I'd expect things like custom driver and media support to be baked in (although equally I don't want to see it bloat up and be unsupportable).

Just out of interest, what are you guys using to get the TV out the other end (and feel free to ignore if this hijacks the thread)?  I had been using Windows Media Center for years, but I've got a Raspberry Pi running OSMC that's only used for live TV.  Everything else is Plex->Chromecast.  Ideally, it'd be great to get the TV straight to Chromecast, but all Plex implementations seem a bit of a crowbar.

Plex is no good for LiveTV.  I use Plex, although increasingly moving to Emby, but in the Lounge I have a HTPC with Openelec installed and it's fantastic.

• Squid locked this topic