[FEATURE MODIFICATION] Safe Mode to include Dockers/VMs

As the growing functionality of unRAID improved, safe mode was a great feature to allow the system to run at it's minimum. As that growth has now expanded into Dockers and VMs would it be possible to include these, as well as plugins?

It's nice to be able to boot up into safe mode and only have unRAID running.

As the growing functionality of unRAID improved, safe mode was a great feature to allow the system to run at it's minimum. As that growth has now expanded into Dockers and VMs would it be possible to include these, as well as plugins?

Not necessary since the docker service can be stopped or individual dockers can be stopped, and same thing for VMs. Plugins on the other hand actually install things into unRAID that are still there even if the plugin is stopped.

Not necessary since the docker service can be stopped or individual dockers can be stopped, and same thing for VMs. Plugins on the other hand actually install things into unRAID that are still there even if the plugin is stopped.

Not really the point to be honest. To have to manually stop the services defeats the purpose of going into safe mode. It's not so much the installation of things through the plugins that in the past would cause conflicts, but more about the resources being used when the array comes online.

As an example... All my dockers came online despite the array having to rebuild as i swapped out a faulty drive. At the same time Transmission dockers (x4) hammered the drives as it did it's file checks and then Sickrage tried to run a backlog search.

So perhaps you haven't had a scenario that would require it, but in some circumstances it certainly is necessary.

Not really the point to be honest. To have to manually stop the services defeats the purpose of going into safe mode. It's not so much the installation of things through the plugins that in the past would cause conflicts, but more about the resources being used when the array comes online.

As an example... All my dockers came online despite the array having to rebuild as i swapped out a faulty drive. At the same time Transmission dockers (x4) hammered the drives as it did it's file checks and then Sickrage tried to run a backlog search.

So perhaps you haven't had a scenario that would require it, but in some circumstances it certainly is necessary.

Thats all specific to your setup. In my setup I have a cache disk so the array wouldnt be hit at all by my dockers or vms under the same situation.

But i can see the value in not auto starting docker and kvm under safe mode designation.

Thats all specific to your setup

Not really...and hence the "as an example"

My dockers are on the cache as well, but the data is on the array. If the docker is using the array data of course it will impact.

I'm really not understanding the replies here. This is a feature request forum. If it's not something that will affect you, well great! If it's something that only a few users can benefit from it won't be implemented...rather simple really ;D

Guidelines for Feature Requests

« on: July 31, 2014, 22:14:03 »

Go ahead and post your ideas for features you think should be added to unRAID Server OS.

If a feature gets accepted we will move and/or copy it to one of the Roadmap child boards.

Hint: the more users can benefit from your feature, the more chance there is of it being accepted!

Thats all specific to your setup

Not really...and hence the "as an example"

My dockers are on the cache as well, but the data is on the array. If the docker is using the array data of course it will impact.

I'm really not understanding the replies here. This is a feature request forum. If it's not something that will affect you, well great! If it's something that only a few users can benefit from it won't be implemented...rather simple really ;D

Guidelines for Feature Requests

« on: July 31, 2014, 22:14:03 »

Go ahead and post your ideas for features you think should be added to unRAID Server OS.

If a feature gets accepted we will move and/or copy it to one of the Roadmap child boards.

Hint: the more users can benefit from your feature, the more chance there is of it being accepted!

I take it you stopped reading and didn't see where I explicitly said:

"But i can see the value in not auto starting docker and kvm under safe mode designation."

"But i can see the value in not auto starting docker and kvm under safe mode designation."

No, i just chose to be polite and not comment on the level of value you see in this request as it's irrelevant :P

ok, ok, back to my hole for me! ...must be the Summer Solstice. 8)

No, i just chose to be polite and not comment on the level of value you see in this request as it's irrelevant :P

Actually it does matter and isn't entirely irrelevant as I was pointing out it does add value to other users which going by the quoted material you posted does have some sway in an item being picked to be implemented.

Actually it does matter and isn't entirely irrelevant as I was pointing out it does add value to other users which going by the quoted material you posted does have some sway in an item being picked to be implemented.

Ockingshay -

Feature benefits and appropriateness can be freely debated in the feature request thread.

I think it would be beneficial if safe mode would not autostart the array (not sure if if does or now), and would disable any autostart of Dockers or VMs.

Are you arguing that the docker and VM features would be totally unavailable?

Windows has several levels of safe mode (with networking, etc.), so unRAID might have a few safe mode options as well.

I happen to think this is a worthy enhancement request, and I think BRiT was in agreement :)

I would appreciate this to be included by default as an option for safe mode.

It is possible people like, or don't like this feature.

Since certain options in the GUI make changes to start up practices, maybe we should have the option in the setting configuration?

I'd imagine this would work as something such as below, with a default settings applied as LT feels.

There could be many options, here's my thoughts.

Safemode parameters:

Start Array Yes/No

Start Docker Yes/No

Start VM's Yes/No

Start Network Bridge Yes/No