Help V6 Massive Errors on Disk

Cartierusm

Ok I'll try to make this post condense. Been using unraid for years. Just built new system, some old and new HDD. Been using new system successfully for weeks. Parity checks have taken about 12 hours to complete, 26TB in system 13 HDD including Parity. Just recently file transfer seems fast but access to folders seem a bit slow, compared to my last and very old system.

Decided to do parity check Disk 1, I did leave the check mark next to 'Write Corrections to Parity Disk', which i'm not sure how this will affect things. The check says it's going to take 700 days to complete and shows almost as many Errors as Writes, but NO red ball next to drive 1.

So what does that mean? Please help, let me know what I should do next. Thanks. I tried to attach my systlog, but the forum is saying it's too big. The zip file is over 1mb. The file itself is 19mb. That seems excessive. Should I be concerned?

Your post was entirely too condensed. 

What version of unRAID are your running?

What is this 'parity check Disk 1'?  Parity checks are run on the entire array.

Which disk is showing errors?

What I would suspect from your description thus far is that you have at least one hard disk that is failing.  (Based on the fact that write speed is unaffected while read speed is slow when you access a shared folder---which requires accessing a disk with a read problem to get files information about files on that disk.)

Gotcha. V6.0-rc5.

I ran a parity check and disk 1 showed as many errors as writes.

So if I have a failing disk should I just replace the disk and rebuild it? I'm only asking because when I did the parity check I left 'Write corrections to parity disk' check marked and I wasn't sure if that affected the parity?

Or should I use Putty and transfer the files from that disk to another one, or is that data on disk 1 now corrupted?

Cool thanks. Just so I'm clear.

Shut down unraid > remove old drive and replace with new one > start up unraid > mount new drive and rebuild drive > after rebuild run parity check > if everything checks out I can install the old drive in a new slot and run pre-clear on the old disk if I want to reuse it?

I have couple other questions. What do the red hands on the smart drive page mean? And does it matter that I'm using two different file systems, reiserfs and xfs?

Cool thanks. Just so I'm clear.

Shut down unraid > remove old drive and replace with new one > start up unraid > mount new drive and rebuild drive > after rebuild run parity check > if everything checks out I can install the old drive in a new slot and run pre-clear on the old disk if I want to reuse it?

Yes.

SMART

I have couple other questions. What do the red hands on the smart drive page mean?

SMART status? Show a sceen-shot.
And does it matter that I'm using two different file systems, reiserfs and xfs?

Does NOT matter. My old disks use RFS and my new ones use XFS.

OK Thanks a bunch people. Rebuilt the drive in like less than 3 hours. Ran a parity check and it found 5 errors, I assume that's not uncommon. The parity check took about 13 hours. So all is good. WOO HOO.

I think I'll just trash the old drive. Also after the parity check I don't get any red hands for my smart drives.

When you run a parity and it finds errors where do you find out where these errors were found, in the syslog or does the parity script output to a file that is saved? After my re-build I found 3 or 5 errors and wanted to re-visit that.

Archived