Issue replacing a failed drive

Jonanddad

I had a 1.5Tb drive fail on me so I went out an bought a 4tb drive it was reconstructing the data. So I left it over night then I "lost" another drive. It would not let me do anything so I restarted the unRAID server and now the "lost" drive is showing but the new 4tb drive is being said as faulty. SMART says it is in the green. Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you

tower-smart-report-disk2-20150704-1324.zip

syslog.zip

You might want to check all of your cabling running to all of the drives and to the m/b / p/s.  You probably don't have hotswap cages, and the errors that are appearing in your syslog could be caused by a bad connection. (Ie: you disturbed one or more of the other cables to the drives)

The diagnostics from earlier is missing smart data from drive3, which is the one that is showing errors now. Post another diagnostic.

Do you have backups of the missing data?

Since all of your drives are XFS that wiki I pointed you to earlier is not going to be much help.

Looks like you have plenty of free space on other drives which might be useful. You might copy the files you can still access from the 2 drives onto other drives in the array just in case something else goes wrong when trying to recover the other data.

Not a lot of experience in the forum with xfs_repair but you might do a search to see what you can learn. Hopefully some others will have something to add.

• 2 weeks later...

The smart data on disk3 looks OK, but it is disabled and also unmountable. You will have to rebuild it, and then you will probably have to try to fix the filesystem. The wiki I linked to earlier has been updated with help for xfs.

Do you have another drive you can use to rebuild disk3?

...I only have some of the data backed up my plan was to move all my data here as I do not have lots of space on anything else.

Not a good plan, as you may now realize.

Having parity to help rebuild a disk is a good feature of unRAID, but the only thing that really counts as a backup of a file is one or more extra copies of that file. You should consider what you can't afford to lose and come up with a backup plan.

I do not have another drive to use for rebuilding disk 3 as my next largest drive is 1.5tb or 1tb, is it possible to take out on of my 4tb drives so like drive 8 or 7 and use that one?

It requires parity plus all of the other drives to calculate the data for the rebuild, so no, don't even think about changing anything about your configuration.

You can rebuild the drive onto itself.

Stop the array.

Unassign the drive.

Start the array. unRAID will say it is missing.

Stop the array.

Reassign the drive.

Start the array. unRAID will rebuild.

After that then you will still have an unmountable disk. You will have to try to repair the xfs filesystem.

Some kind fellow put me onto this :

"Just a suggestion, ive had realy good luck with TestDisk for recovering data from repartitioned or formatted drives. Its free and quite simple to use.

I recovered all of my data from a formatted HDD using this and the associated PhotoRec utility.  Got me out of jail big time.

Hope you get your data back. ATB

Archived