Spin-Down problem / Drive-State is reported wrong

Hi,

i´m running unRAID 6.0.1 and since some time (i don´t exactly remeber when it started) my server doesn´t go to sleep anymore. I use the "Dynamix S3 Sleep" plugin.

I took a look at the plugins logfile an it said "Disk activity on going: sdd" (sdd is my parity disk). Then i opened the unRAID GUI and it reported that alle drives are spun-down. Actually this is wrong because i can hear the drive spinning. This situation never changes and my server is awake for days. But if i hit the Spin-Up button in the GUI my drives my drives are spinning down after the treshold of 15 minutes an the server is going to sleep too.

What is happening? Is unRAID somehow reporting the actual state of the drives wrong? I would really appreciate some help. :)

It doesn´t seem to be a plugin related issue because after wake up from sleep the unRAID is reporting the disks as "Spun Down" this is false. Even if i´m browsing some directory on the disks unRAID still means "Spun Down". Where does the WebGUI fetches this data from? To it looks like something isn´t properly refreshed after wake up.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks for the hint bonienl, but that didn´t solve the problem completely as it doesn´t spin up my parity drive.

I now found a solution which does the trick for me:

Call the spinup-function of the WebGUI after wakeup.

/usr/bin/wget  -q  -O  -  localhost/update.htm?cmdSpinupAll=true >/dev/null

Maybe i could have used the spinup-groups feature to solve the problem but i didn´t investigate that.

I just wanted to share my solution and thank all the posters for their feedback.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

I think I have a similar problem:

I use the Dynamix S3 Sleep plugin aswell on unraid 6.1.6 and the execute function works, but somehow only for the first time

these are my settings:

- Wait for array inactivity: yes

- Extra delay after array inactivity: 15

- Wait for network inactivity: no

- Wait for user login inactivity: local

- Set WOL options before sleep: g

when the drives are in standby after 15 more minutes the server goes to s3 state.

But the next time when the server wakes up the drives are still in standby and the server only goes to sleep again when I first spin up the drives.

So where do I have to put the command lines described above to spin up my drives after wake up? I am very new to unraid and have no idea. :)

Another problem I have is that when i Telnet my server with "echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep"  (this command is described in the wiki of the plugin)

it returns "-bash: /proc/acpi/sleep: No such file or directory"

What does this mean?

Hope someone can clear me up.

Thank you!

Another problem I have is that when i Telnet my server with "echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep"  (this command is described in the wiki of the plugin)

it returns "-bash: /proc/acpi/sleep: No such file or directory"

What does this mean?

are you sure you typed the command correctly?  I would have expected the file to be created if it did not already exist.

yes I tried again and the typing was correct.

Any idea how I can solve this problem?

Well, that command isn't used anymore, dates back from the linux 2.6 kernel versions. Some googling could have helped you!

You need to use:

echo -n mem >/sys/power/state

Ps. When you click the Sleep button, it will do the exact command immediately.

okay, thank you its working.

But where do I have to put the command to call the spinup function?

/usr/bin/wget  -q  -O  -  localhost/update.htm?cmdSpinupAll=true >/dev/null

Can I just Telnet it or do I have to change some config file on my flash drive manually?

I'm a complete noob, sorry...

Happy new year btw :)

But where do I have to put the command to call the spinup function?

/usr/bin/wget  -q  -O  -  localhost/update.htm?cmdSpinupAll=Spin%20Up >/dev/null

Go to the settings page of the S3-sleep function and copy & paste the command above (I've modified it a little) into the box "Custom commands after wake-up". Then press Apply.