Help designing/picking a setup for unraid, need to upgrade in a bad way :)

live4soccer7

Off the top of my head and I'll try and dig out a link later, wasn't there an issue with version 20 of the LSI firmware?

IIRC it was fixed with an update, but confusingly the version number wasn't changed.

I can't remember what the issue was but when I get home I'll try and provide some more info...

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Found it....

Has P20 version been confirmed "bad" by multiple users? I opted to use P20, and has been running good. I know there was a document or thread out there here about it.

I linked 2 posts. May be more though.

LSI/Avago quietly fixed the P20 firmware with a new update. They still called it P20. I suggest do NOT use any of the custom or pre-packaged zip files out there since they all will probably contain the original, faulty firmware. Just download the latest P20 from the Avago site. I did confirm it is the newer firmware. I also got this from LSI/Avago's knowledge base.

20.00.00.00  OLD

20.00.04.00  NEW

Question:

Upgrading to firmware phase 20 (20.00.00.00) caused errors in /var/log/messages file

Answer:

If you upgrade to phase 20 firmware (20.00.00.00) on LSI SAS HBAs (e.g. LSISAS2004, LSISAS2008, LSISAS2308 based) then you may see this repeated many times in /var/log/messages:

mpt2sas0:  log_info (0x31080000):  original (PL), code (0x08), sub_code (0x0000)

This has been addressed by Avago and has been fixed in a newer firmware release: 20.00.04.00 (still called phase 20, or P20).  This firmware can be downloaded from the Avago web site (http://www.avagotech.com).

To avoid the message, you can flash the controller to an older version of firmware (e.g. phase 19), or flash to the newer firmware release 20.00.04.00 or newer (if available).

Yes, I am on the newer verion of P20, so I'm good to go. It has been running flawlessly and haven't seen any errors. It is flashed to IT mode and has recognized a couple drives that I have added since and will be adding a 4tb drive once it arrives.

Anyone on the below topic?

Any reason why the PCI acs setting would have any affect on the onboard LSI controller?? What else is on the same bus as the PCI-e x 16 bus on the x10sl7-f board??

Again, excuse my ignorance here. I haven't worked with a lot of this before, but am definitely learning a lot. With the below information that I have acquired form tool --> system devices in unraid, does this mean there are 6 different busses on the board in total or that are being utilized? If so, then if this issue is isolated with being shared with another device on the same bus then that should be an issue if I'm reading this right because the Radeon 6450 would be on its own bus. Again, I have no idea if this is correct or my train of thought is correct either, which is why I'm asking.

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3 Processor DRAM Controller (rev 06)

00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x16 Controller (rev 06)

00:01.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v3/4th Gen Core Processor PCI Express x8 Controller (rev 06)

00:14.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB xHCI (rev 05)

00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #2 (rev 05)

00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #1 (rev d5)

00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #3 (rev d5)

00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family PCI Express Root Port #4 (rev d5)

00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family USB EHCI #1 (rev 05)

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation C222 Series Chipset Family Server Essential SKU LPC Controller (rev 05)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)

00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series Chipset Family Thermal Management Controller (rev 05)

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos [Radeon HD 6450/7450/8450 / R5 230 OEM]

01:00.1 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Caicos HDMI Audio [Radeon HD 6400 Series]

02:00.0 Serial Attached SCSI controller: LSI Logic / Symbios Logic SAS2308 PCI-Express Fusion-MPT SAS-2 (rev 05)

03:00.0 PCI bridge: ASPEED Technology, Inc. AST1150 PCI-to-PCI Bridge (rev 03)

04:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ASPEED Technology, Inc. ASPEED Graphics Family (rev 30)

05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

06:00.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation I210 Gigabit Network Connection (rev 03)

Can anyone break down what the number sequence actually means. I think my lack of knowledge here is not allowing me to google the correct terminology to find this out.

00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series Chipset Family Thermal Management Controller (rev 05)

What does each number designate or stand for?

Anyone on the below topic?

Here is my IOMMU groups with the override set.

/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/0/devices/0000:00:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/1/devices/0000:00:01.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/2/devices/0000:00:01.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/3/devices/0000:00:14.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/4/devices/0000:00:1a.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/5/devices/0000:00:1c.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/6/devices/0000:00:1c.2
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/7/devices/0000:00:1c.3
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/8/devices/0000:00:1d.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1f.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1f.2
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1f.3
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/9/devices/0000:00:1f.6
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/10/devices/0000:01:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/10/devices/0000:01:00.1
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/11/devices/0000:02:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/12/devices/0000:03:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/12/devices/0000:04:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/13/devices/0000:05:00.0
/sys/kernel/iommu_groups/14/devices/0000:06:00.0

Compare it to your current list with the override off and see if that answers your question.

I'm basically drawing assumptions and speculation here because of my limited, yet growing, knowledge, but that I see in your IOMMU list is that none of the data devices are grouped together, from what I can see.

Radeon GPU is the 01 designation (both) and in group 10 by itself.

LSI Controller appears to be tied 02 designation (unless is spans further than that) and is tied to group 11 by itself

Sata Controller (6 port) is designated as 00.1f.2 and is tied to group 9 with the following

00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation C222 Series Chipset Family Server Essential SKU LPC Controller (rev 05)

00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family 6-port SATA Controller 1 [AHCI mode] (rev 05)

00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 8 Series/C220 Series Chipset Family SMBus Controller (rev 05)

I would imagine this would only mean they are separated on a software level vs a hardware bus, but I'm by no means the expert here. I think I'm going to give it a shot. There are many here using it and JonP had mentioned he was using it without any issues.

I'd still be curious to know the breakdown of these numbers: 00:1f.6

Is a simple address or does the address also provide a bus number (of some sorts) that isolates them on a hardware level as well.

I've got it running and plex HT, which is one of the main reasons I set this up this way. Plex HT is not able to play a video smoothly at all. I open up vlc and play the same video and it runs buttery smooth. Looking in to the plex settings once I get some more time.

Lastly, I have not been able to get any sound to play for the life of me. I'm running through HDMI and I've passed through the sound and video on the VM. I installed the drivers/software from Radeon/AMD for the particular video card I have. When I try to play something with sound (music file), it just says there is something wrong or no sound device present (don't remember the exact wording of the error). Wondering if there is something else that I'd need to set up in the bios of the server or Win7. I have win7 set to SeaBios. Do I need to manually install directx 11? That was my next step, but I have to get some real work done today at some point, so I'll have to revisit this in a few hours or later tonight.

Audio is working. No bios changes. I installed directx sdk and the Radeon software. I'm not quite sure which was responsible for the fix, but it is working. In order to fix the plex ht, I had to uncheck Dts capable receiver. I found it played some files and others not, so that's when I looked in to this. It is now all working flawlessly, as far as I know.

Locking connectors are definitely what you should use.  I doubt they will be an issue on the motherboard => although they may be close enough that to remove a cable on one of the "inner" ports you'd have to remove the ones beside it first.    But unplugging the cables is a VERY rare event.

One of the last things that I need to do is implement a backup plan for appdata (Dockers/VMs) and also for the actual unraid files on the USB that runs the whole system.

What are you guys doing?

Full backups of the flash can be dangerous to your data given a fairly ordinary set of events.

1. Take proper backup of flash. (Backup taken with array stopped, so array state saved as clean shutdown)

2. Upgrade parity drive, reuse old parity drive as data drive.

3. Flash corruption (or whatever) causes desire to use last backup.

4. Proper backup of flash taken in step 1 above sees valid array with old parity drive listed and proceeds to use what was a current data drive as parity, trashing any data that was on it.

5. Commit hary-cary because self inflicted injury causes data loss.

Bottom line, be VERY careful with your Unraid USB full backups. I would go so far as to permanently delete any backups that contain a non-current drive set, or at least neuter the backup so it can't be put back intact.

One of the last things that I need to do is implement a backup plan for appdata (Dockers/VMs) and also for the actual unraid files on the USB that runs the whole system.

What are you guys doing?

Full backups of the flash can be dangerous to your data given a fairly ordinary set of events.

1. Take proper backup of flash. (Backup taken with array stopped, so array state saved as clean shutdown)

2. Upgrade parity drive, reuse old parity drive as data drive.

3. Flash corruption (or whatever) causes desire to use last backup.

4. Proper backup of flash taken in step 1 above sees valid array with old parity drive listed and proceeds to use what was a current data drive as parity, trashing any data that was on it.

5. Commit hary-cary because self inflicted injury causes data loss.

Bottom line, be VERY careful with your Unraid USB full backups. I would go so far as to permanently delete any backups that contain a non-current drive set, or at least neuter the backup so it can't be put back intact.

The simplest way to neuter the backup is to delete config/super.dat. Then when you start you will not have any drive assignments and will have to assign them all.

The simplest way to neuter the backup is to delete config/super.dat. Then when you start you will not have any drive assignments and will have to assign them all.

That's what I do, although I don't like to think of it as neutering.... that word makes me cross my legs...  :o

Essentially, what you guys are saying is to only make a backup of the USB drive contents when the array is completely stopped? At that point, are you guys copying these to another USB drive over ssh, pulling the USB drive and moving to another machine for manual copy or what??

And would you recommend making a new copy everytime the array is physically changed (New/replaced disk)?

I just know that things break in time and I want to be ready when that happens.

Essentially, what you guys are saying is to only make a backup of the USB drive contents when the array is completely stopped? At that point, are you guys copying these to another USB drive over ssh, pulling the USB drive and moving to another machine for manual copy or what??

And would you recommend making a new copy everytime the array is physically changed (New/replaced disk)?

I just know that things break in time and I want to be ready when that happens.

With the array stopped, the flash share can still be accessed over the network. Any time I have any major changes, like new versions of unRAID or disk changes, I stop the array, copy the flash share to a folder on my PC, and restart the array.
  • 2 weeks later...

uhhh.... it just says "vdisk1.img" :/ is there a command I can run to get additional data on the image file?

When you created it did you leave the disk image type set to raw, or did you change it to qcow2? I'm not sure if the name changes if you select qcow2, as all mine are raw.

Archived