We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Windows 10 VM How-To Video

jonp

So I finished the video today, but when I rendered it, it has this Charlie Brown Peanuts type animation effect that is driving me nuts.  So I debated on not sharing it at all, but decided it'd be better to share it here now and fix it later than to not share it at all, because it does achieve the job of walking you through the steps to create the VM and optimizing it afterward.

So apologies in advance for the weirdness with the quality.  It's because I had my desktop resolution in 4k when I was using ShadowPlay to record the screen, so it tried to auto downsample the footage and made it look like that.  I'll have to reshoot the whole thing while in the same resolution I'm capturing at (1080p) and it will then look fine.

Hope you enjoy the walkthrough!

• 1 month later...

Very weird!  I just see a blank space.  Using Firefox.  I did manage to find it on youtube though.  I have watched both the "Installing a Windows 10 Virtual Desktop on Unraid 6" and "Pre built Win10VM and Convert VMWare to KVM on unRAID".  My question is which one is the better one to install?

Very weird!  I just see a blank space.  Using Firefox.  I did manage to find it on youtube though.  I have watched both the "Installing a Windows 10 Virtual Desktop on Unraid 6" and "Pre built Win10VM and Convert VMWare to KVM on unRAID".  My question is which one is the better one to install?

Installing a Windows 10 Virtual Desktop is better to follow IMHO.  The Pre built Win10VM video is to show you how to test out running Windows as a VM before committing to a license or even having to sit through a download.  It's mainly for developers or users that just want to test out Windows as a VM before committing their license key to it.

One more question....in the setting up the unraid server for VM's you said to download the Stable virtioi drivers and then in the Installing a Windows 10 VM you said to download the Latest virtioi win drivers.  Which one should I use?

Haha, guess I should be more clear.  Stable is the one to use.

Sorry for maybe a dumb question, but how are you guys connecting to VMs, especially those that are supposed to be for gaming purposes? VNC, RDP, long HDMI cables? I approached an an article about gaming on Unraid and couldn't find how it was connected and tested.

Sorry for maybe a dumb question, but how are you guys connecting to VMs, especially those that are supposed to be for gaming purposes? VNC, RDP, long HDMI cables? I approached an an article about gaming on Unraid and couldn't find how it was connected and tested.

http://lime-technology.com/gaming-on-a-nas-you-better-believe-it/

That might help you.

Yep, that's where I got here from. I should have asked a question on how to connect multiple displays to a single unraid. I'm thinking of installing elec and connecting 2 TVs to unraid by using long HDMI cables. Was wondering if I could use videocard's outputs for separate VMs or if I have to use a dedicated videocard for each VM.

http://lime-technology.com/gaming-on-a-nas-you-better-believe-it/

That might help you.

Yep, that's where I got here from. I should have asked a question on how to connect multiple displays to a single unraid. I'm thinking of installing elec and connecting 2 TVs to unraid by using long HDMI cables. Was wondering if I could use videocard's outputs for separate VMs or if I have to use a dedicated videocard for each VM.

Short answer is we support GPU pass through.  Your hardware needs to support it, but if so, you can output graphics from each GPU to its own display. It is one GPU per VM you wish to do this with.

Here's a link to watch how Linus from LinusTechTips set up two gaming rigs off one CPU using unRAID:  http://lime-technology.com/unraid-featured-on-linustechtips/

He shows the detailed steps of what he did.

Archived