Viewing individual disks

levster

I recently moved to version 6 from 5 and seem to remember that you could view all of the disks and their contents under windows explorer. Now, I only see shares, and not the individual disks. Is this a safety or settings? Any way to be able to view from the explorer individual disks? I need to do a little reshuffling of the drive contents and that used to make it easier followed by midnight commander to do the actual moves.

Thanks,

Lev

Actually, just saw the settings. Can someone explain what the two lower settings mean? Why not copy data from one share to another? And, what is a not participating disk mean?

"If set to Yes, disk shares may be exported. WARNING: Do not copy data from a disk share to a user share unless you know what you are doing. This may result in the loss of data and is not supported.

If set to Auto, only disk shares not participating in User Shares may be exported."

So, if one of my data disks (6)  is full and I want to move some of the files from it onto a newly added disk (7), before I would use MC and copy the files to another disk (7), verify that the files are OK by randomly checking them and then delete the original files from the original disk(6). How do I do it now? What is the best way to actually move files/folders between data disks without having to resort to temporarily disabling exports?

So, if one of my data disks (6)  is full and I want to move some of the files from it onto a newly added disk (7), before I would use MC and copy the files to another disk (7), verify that the files are OK by randomly checking them and then delete the original files from the original disk(6). How do I do it now? What is the best way to actually move files/folders between data disks without having to resort to temporarily disabling exports?

If you are going to use MC then the process is unchanged.  It is only if you want to do it over a network that the visibility of the individual disk shares becomes relevant.

Under global share settings, you can exclude disk 6 from participation.  With disk export set to auto, this will cause disk 6 to show up when browsing to your server over SMB, allowing you to copy data from the disk nearly full to the remainder of the devices that are participating in user shares.

By the same logic, if disk 7 is not yet assigned to a share, then copying anything from another share on disk 6 to it, deleting the original share folder from disk 6, and assigning disk 7 to the share will be ok? That newly created folder on the new disk 7 will be added to the share. Am I correct in that?

I just did a simple copy of a file from one disk to anther using MC, from a shared folder that is shared on both disks. Both images were normal. So, am I missing something? Is the possible corruption random?

As long as both source and destination are /mnt/disk? then no corruption. Just don't use any /mnt/user/? paths in mc and you will be perfectly safe from this particular issue. There are ways to use /mnt/user paths and not trigger the problem, but if you don't understand why the issue occurs, then it's safest not to use anything but /mnt/disk?/ paths in MC and you will be fine.

I just did a simple copy of a file from one disk to anther using MC, from a shared folder that is shared on both disks. Both images were normal. So, am I missing something? Is the possible corruption random?

As long as both source and destination are /mnt/disk? then no corruption. Just don't use any /mnt/user/? paths in mc and you will be perfectly safe from this particular issue. There are ways to use /mnt/user paths and not trigger the problem, but if you don't understand why the issue occurs, then it's safest not to use anything but /mnt/disk?/ paths in MC and you will be fine.

Fantastic! I have and will continue to use /mnt/disk. That helps out a LOT.

Lev

Archived