System is unresponsive but still powered

pcgirl

OK, two days in a row when I am trying to access my server in the morning, it is unresponsive.  I can't access it via web browser and I can't access any files.  I can't access it through telnet either.  It is still on but I have to hold the power button and turn it off and then turn it on again.  Then it comes back and everything seems fine.  I can't get a syslog because it is unresponsive.  Any ideas how to figure out what is going on?

OK, two days in a row when I am trying to access my server in the morning, it is unresponsive.  I can't access it via web browser and I can't access any files.  I can't access it through telnet either.  It is still on but I have to hold the power button and turn it off and then turn it on again.  Then it comes back and everything seems fine.  I can't get a syslog because it is unresponsive.  Any ideas how to figure out what is going on?

Couple ideas:

Run memtest ideally for 24 hours, but at least a couple of passes

Install clean powerdown so that you have a chance at it saving log files. (unlikely though in this situation)

Start in safe mode and see if the problem continues.

Hook up a keyboard / monitor, log in and type

tail -f /var/log/syslog > /boot/log.txt

then after it crashes, upload the log.txt file created on your flash drive here.

Post the full and complete specs of your entire system including P/S

Thanks, I am running memtest right now.  What powerdown plugin do I use?  I am running V6 and I have a ups attached so apcups is running in the unmenu V6.  It installed automatically when I upgraded to V6 from V5.  Also, if I run in safe mode, is the system basically down?  ie: no dockers running, etc.

OK, so the system seemed to go unresponsive again yesterday afternoon.  I had a monitor and keyboard attached so I checked what the screen was doing and it was just still at the same screen after I had typed tail -f /var/log/syslog > /boot/log.txt.  After I typed that, there was no cursor displaying.  Anyways, I then had to turn off the server using the power button and then I turned it back on.  I have inclueded the log.txt file that was created and also the system specs from the Dynamix System Information plugin.  Also, the P/S is a Corsair CX600M.  I ran the memtest with no errors.

ServerSpecs.txt

log.txt

There was a major update to Win10 a couple days ago -- it's possible that something associated with this update had an impact on your VM ... although I'd expect others to report the same issue if that's the case.    If so, it's likely they'll be noticing the same thing soon as the update is more widely installed.

Thanks, I am running memtest right now.  What powerdown plugin do I use?  I am running V6 and I have a ups attached so apcups is running in the unmenu V6.  It installed automatically when I upgraded to V6 from V5.  Also, if I run in safe mode, is the system basically down?  ie: no dockers running, etc.

Just make sure you are using apcupsd 3.14.13 and not the one from unmenu. Apcupsd is included in unRAID 6 along with email notifications. Not sure if installing unmenu's versions would cause problems.

Not a ReiserFS problem? I used to get similar sporadic behaviour like this until I migrated to XFS. May have been fixed since.

When that happened to me, I could log in via SSH/telnet; but shutdown wouldn't do anything (FS was stalled). In those cases I used to do this (eek - but easier than going into the basement).

echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq 

echo b > /proc/sysrq-trigger

https://major.io/2009/01/29/linux-emergency-reboot-or-shutdown-with-magic-commands/

That would have help if I could get in using SSH but sadly it was totally unrepsonsive but still on.  Interesting about the Windows 10 update.  It wouldn't be the first time microsoft updates harm an OS.  I am using the APC UPS that comes with Unraid 6.13.  I can't seem to find the one you are talking about. 

...  I am using the APC UPS that comes with Unraid 6.13.  I can't seem to find the one you are talking about.

You need to be running the built-in APCUPSd, but your previous post made it seem like you were running one installed through unMenu.

Note that unMenu is not built-in. Perhaps you didn't actually mean unMenu, which is an addon to unRAID.

Are you running unMenu? If so, are you sure it isn't installing another APCUPSd?

I am running the unraid webgui for ver 6.1.3.  It has a UPS settings icon under settings and that is what I am using.  Is this ok?

That information doesn't really do anything to answer my questions. Do you actually know whether or not you have installed unMenu?

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and post the complete diagnostics zip.

No I didn't install unmenu when I upgraded to version 6.  I did install it when I was on version 5.

Did you do a clean install of v6? If not, did you remove unMenu when you upgraded? We could just keep going around on this, or you could post your diagnostics like requested. At least give us the contents of your config/go file.

Thanks for verifying this. System seems to be working good since disabling the VM.  Afraid to start it up again but I created it to run the Playon server.  But when I tried to run Netflix from the Playon server in Kodi it would crap out and not play.  Playon says that my cpu was maxing out.  I allocated 3 cores for the VM though.