Shutdown two unraid servers in the event of lost power (and shut down VM too)

Sorry if this has been asked before (I did not find this question asked, but i may have missed it).

I have two unRAID servers currently.  One is my primary, the other is a test box.  Eventually i will have two unRAID servers up and running.  Also eventually, I will probably have another smart UPS, but for now i only have one.

I can obviously get one server to shut down in the event of power loss (i have this working now) but wondering if there is a way to shut another unRAID server down in the even of a power loss on the same UPS?

Sort of related question, is there a way to shut down a VM running under unRAID in the event of a power loss on the unRAID server?  Any info is appreciated.

Sorry if this has been asked before (I did not find this question asked, but i may have missed it).

I have two unRAID servers currently.  One is my primary, the other is a test box.  Eventually i will have two unRAID servers up and running.  Also eventually, I will probably have another smart UPS, but for now i only have one.

I can obviously get one server to shut down in the event of power loss (i have this working now) but wondering if there is a way to shut another unRAID server down in the even of a power loss on the same UPS?

Sort of related question, is there a way to shut down a VM running under unRAID in the event of a power loss on the unRAID server?  Any info is appreciated.

APCUPSd, the software unRAID uses for UPS, is available for other systems as well. One of its great features is the ability to communicate over the network to other instances of APCUPSd. Many of us use this feature to control shutdown of multiple systems from one UPS.

For example, I have my PC and my unRAID running on the same UPS. unRAID is connected by USB to the UPS and uses the builtin APCUPSd to shutdown, and my PC has APCUPSd running but instead of connecting to the UPS by USB, it connects over the network to the APCUPSd running on unRAID.

I've not done it with 2 unRAID systems, but the principles are the same. Go to UPS Settings and turn on Help and see what it says about the UPS cable setting.

• 2 years later...

Hi... regarding the "make sure the network is up" part...

I was thinking.... if there were a script that pings the router and, if ping response is not valid, shutdown the server.

Sounds pretty easy script, but I don't have a clue on how to write it and test it... can someone give me a had ? 

22 minutes ago, ozzylins said:

Hi... regarding the "make sure the network is up" part...

I was thinking.... if there were a script that pings the router and, if ping response is not valid, shutdown the server.

Sounds pretty easy script, but I don't have a clue on how to write it and test it... can someone give me a had ? 

The way you make sure the network is up is to put the router on the UPS with the server or on its own UPS.

yea I know... but for me this means buy another UPS...  =( 

did you understand the ping script idea? if network is down, the unraid shutsdown....  

is it "doable" ?

Surely you can attach the router to the UPS ... or is its physical location the problem?

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

50 minutes ago, ozzylins said:

physical problem... all my network is in another room 50ft away... =( 

extension cord:D

I have a low capacity UPS with only my network on it. Not very expensive, and it also serves as a power strip to other devices on my network nearby.

You might try a local switch plugged into that UPS and use IP addresses for all of the computers that you want to shutdown.  That way you have the portion of the network will be up until after you start the shutdown sequence.  (You don't need a router and modem for your LAN when you use IP addresses. Current costs of a 5 port switch are very modest.)