[Support] Linuxserver.io - Musicbrainz

I now solved my download speed issue reconfiguring my VPN setup. So, this should no longer be in the way. Also, Unraid and the Docker now in "bridge mode" on the same internal IP. Speed is still slow to access the mirror and I have a strong suspicion that the actual MBZ are still accessed over the Internet and not on the local mirror.\

I checked the FTP link and compared what has been downloaded. The docker imported 7 files (incl. the 2.5GB file "mbdump.tar.bz2". The FTP link also shows a 4.5GB file ("mbdump-edit.tar.bz2"), but I don't see this file in my import folder. Is this expected behavior or could this be the issue?

I also checked the forum for my error messages:

1) I didn't find any comments on the following error:

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

2) I found some reference to the error below indicating that I can just ignore it

ERROR: constraint "dbmirror_pendingdata_SeqId" of relation "dbmirror_pendingdata" does not exist

Any additional thoughts appreciated!

I am thinking whether everything is working, but this docker may actually not do what I thought it does.

The docker now shows the MBZ UI locally and I can access artists et al. It is doing this based on a 3GB image file that was downloaded after docker creation. I googled a bit and found out that the full local file should more be along the lines of 40GB, so I assume this docker may not fully localize the database?

Any thoughts?

• 3 weeks later...

So as per my usual I install another docker I cannot get off the ground.  I scan this support thread (those log files are a nuisance to all but a few experts I'll wager.) and find my experience is not uncommon.  I follow the crowd and delete the container and all evidence thereof.  As I prepare to reinstall the docker my Musicbrainz access token appears beyond my capabilities of recovering.  Seriously.  I didn't think to permanently store this and must have missed the warning to do so (not saying it wasn't there, but doubting it was).  You KNOW what I was thinking - "WTF?!!"

SO - Fuck it.  I'm done with Musicbrainz and this docker and as cool as the concept was (automagically helping with tagging/metadata on 40,000 (I ain't lyin') LP's/CD's), I simply lack the patience and time to continue trying.  Best of luck (seriously!) to all and thanks to the dedicated experts!

PS  I've been told to either post log files or STFU.  Point taken.

Oh.  My.  I see I needed to go to the Metabrainz and not the Musicbrainz site to regenerate said token.  In case anyone else is as absent-minded as I've become.  I missed this on the Musicbrainz site (only because it wasn't there).  As I said, I'm done here.

Just another thing.  The beginning of this support topic states the following:  "AFTER iniatilisation is complete you will need to edit the line sub WEB_SERVER { "localhost:5000" } in file /config/DBDefs.pm changing localhost to the ip of your host, this is to allow css to display properly."  Pardon my ignorance, but I missed many of these terms in the template AND most of the following forum (I admit to not reading every word on the 11 pages).  It appears this sentence was an edit, but knowing that did not help me.  I guessed (incorrectly I believe) the sentence might have to do with the Musicbrainz GUI seen in the "advanced" view of the template, but, if so, it couldn't have been scribed less clearly.  There are at least 8 terms in this sentence that need explaining to make sense to a novice trying to install this docker.  This is the bleeding commencing, EDITED entry on the subject for God's sake - It's importance cannot be understated.

5 minutes ago, WTF? said:

Just another thing.  The beginning of this support topic states the following:  "AFTER iniatilisation is complete you will need to edit the line sub WEB_SERVER { "localhost:5000" } in file /config/DBDefs.pm changing localhost to the ip of your host, this is to allow css to display properly."  Pardon my ignorance, but I missed many of these terms in the template AND most of the following forum (I admit to not reading every word on the 11 pages).  It appears this sentence was an edit, but knowing that did not help me.  I guessed (incorrectly I believe) the sentence might have to do with the Musicbrainz GUI seen in the "advanced" view of the template, but, if so, it couldn't have been scribed less clearly.  There are at least 8 terms in this sentence that need explaining to make sense to a novice trying to install this docker.  This is the bleeding commencing, EDITED entry on the subject for God's sake - It's importance cannot be understated.

it's pretty clear to change the value from localhost to your ip

it doesn't affect the running of the container it just makes the output of the webui prettier so chill on the drama lol

On 3/3/2018 at 9:21 AM, steve1977 said:

I am thinking whether everything is working, but this docker may actually not do what I thought it does.

The docker now shows the MBZ UI locally and I can access artists et al. It is doing this based on a 3GB image file that was downloaded after docker creation. I googled a bit and found out that the full local file should more be along the lines of 40GB, so I assume this docker may not fully localize the database?

Sorry for pushing my question again. Can someone confirm that you succeeded to download the full image file, which should be somewhere in the range of 40GB? I succeeded to get the 3GB image localized and can run the image. However, this still seems to require meaningful download activity as this is not a complete local mirror. Any guidance appreciated!

4 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Sorry for pushing my question again. Can someone confirm that you succeeded to download the full image file, which should be somewhere in the range of 40GB? I succeeded to get the 3GB image localized and can run the image. However, this still seems to require meaningful download activity as this is not a complete local mirror. Any guidance appreciated!

I don't know how big it should be or where you got 40GB from, but the ftp export folder is about 7GB.

The official MBZ site says: "20GB+ of free disk space, (if you are a developer and only want the server code and database structure somewhat less should do)".

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Server/Setup

I saw in some other forums users commenting about 40GB. Let me look for the link.

Could it be that this docker only contains the server code and database structure, but not the actual music database?

10 minutes ago, steve1977 said:

The official MBZ site says: "20GB+ of free disk space, (if you are a developer and only want the server code and database structure somewhat less should do)".

https://musicbrainz.org/doc/MusicBrainz_Server/Setup

I saw in some other forums users commenting about 40GB. Let me look for the link.

Could it be that this docker only contains the server code and database structure, but not the actual music database?

this docker only contains the webui and dependencies for the database 

when you start it up for the first time it pulls the latest snapshots of the database from musicbrainz and then builds it locally 

after that it pulls hourly updates from musicbrainz

I waited some more time and something continued. Below the log and also the error message:

ERROR: constraint "dbmirror_pendingdata_SeqId" of relation "dbmirror_pendingdata" does not exist
STATEMENT: ALTER TABLE dbmirror_pendingdata DROP CONSTRAINT "dbmirror_pendingdata_SeqId" CASCADE
WARNING: SET TRANSACTION can only be used in transaction blocks
WARNING: SET CONSTRAINTS can only be used in transaction blocks

https://pastebin.com/AriM0UTC

3 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Yes, I tried reading them, but nothing that helps me. May be a me not being familiar with VMs though...

Some more new error logs below:

https://pastebin.com/NAqnVFd7

Can you execute the below command and paste the output?

du -h /mnt/disk1/MBZ/data/dbase/base

Regarding the errors you see, @sparklyballs already said it was harmless a page back and I also answered you directly that it was already answered on the same page..

On 3/30/2018 at 11:48 PM, sparklyballs said:

it's pretty clear to change the value from localhost to your ip

it doesn't affect the running of the container it just makes the output of the webui prettier so chill on the drama lol

My question is change the value WHERE?  In the docker template, 'advanced view': i.e.  "WebUI:                                 http://[IP]:[PORT:5000]/"?  

10 minutes ago, WTF? said:

My question is change the value WHERE?  In the docker template, 'advanced view': i.e.  "WebUI:                                 http://[IP]:[PORT:5000]/"?  

The file you need to edit is mentioned in the first post of this thread. /config/DBDefs.pm

21 hours ago, saarg said:

Can you execute the below command and paste the output?

du -h /mnt/disk1/MBZ/data/dbase/base

Great, here we go....

root@Tower:~# du -h /mnt/cache/Docker/musicbrainz/data/dbase/base

7.0M /mnt/cache/Docker/musicbrainz/data/dbase/base/1

6.9M /mnt/cache/Docker/musicbrainz/data/dbase/base/12403

7.0M /mnt/cache/Docker/musicbrainz/data/dbase/base/12404

7.0M /mnt/cache/Docker/musicbrainz/data/dbase/base/16384

26G /mnt/cache/Docker/musicbrainz/data/dbase/base/16385

0 /mnt/cache/Docker/musicbrainz/data/dbase/base/pgsql_tmp

26G /mnt/cache/Docker/musicbrainz/data/dbase/base

1 hour ago, steve1977 said:

I just ran the command again after having the docker running for another 24 hours. The values above are completely unchanged.

I would say that looks good. Same size as here. The size will only change if the database is updated as far as I know. 

Got it. So, it seems that things may even work well. Thanks. A few questions:

1) Searching on the mirror is not remarkably faster than on the original web-site. At least not for the first search. At second search for the same artist, it is fast (like cached). Maybe the issue is that the database is not indexed locally? If that's the case, is this in line what you are experiencing and is there a way to locally index it?

2) Can I log in with my user name on the mirror? If so, can I add tags and will they be synced back?

3) Is artwork also been part of the local mirror (from archive.org, wiki, etc.) or will this still be pulled remotely?

16 hours ago, steve1977 said:

Got it. So, it seems that things may even work well. Thanks. A few questions:

1) Searching on the mirror is not remarkably faster than on the original web-site. At least not for the first search. At second search for the same artist, it is fast (like cached). Maybe the issue is that the database is not indexed locally? If that's the case, is this in line what you are experiencing and is there a way to locally index it?

2) Can I log in with my user name on the mirror? If so, can I add tags and will they be synced back?

3) Is artwork also been part of the local mirror (from archive.org, wiki, etc.) or will this still be pulled remotely?

I don't use musicbrainz, so can't answer your questions. 

Edited by saarg