How do/Do people manage unraid remotely?

When I want to log into my unraid remotely, I usually manage unraid by accessing VM via TeamViewer and opening browser. Today, I was at my in-law's house, and I decided to add a hard drive that was unmapped to unraid (cuz, you know, there's nothing better to do when you're at in-law's:)). So, I do the usual, logging into my TeamViewer, accessing VM, opening browser, accessing unraid,  "oh I have to stop array... ok!", check the check-box, click "stop", then right after I realize what this may do, my VM starts shutting down... then there it goes... no more plex, no more VM, no more....

thankfully, my in-law's house was a quick drive away from my house, so I drove back to the house and restarted the array. I also started my gaming rig so that I dont' have to rely on my VM.

then I thought "there's gotta be a better way!". I'm assuming there's a plenty users here that manage their servers remotely. How do you guys do it? How do companies which own tons of servers manage them, I bet they often have to manage them remotely, or do they have people on-site to manage cases like this??

I have:

VPN running on my Mikrotik router, that way I can access my entire network remotely with the same tools I use indoors (eg: my phone), but I can also set up a tunnel from another device if I need to do something more drastic.

IPMI running on my two server boxes, so I can physically restart them should something really go wrong with the hosts

Also vpn here.

Total access to the internal network ...couldn't be more easy.

Log in from your phone or any device at your disposal, temporarily log in and just access your unraid with the local IP.

I'm also running it from my mikrotik router. But there's plenty of ways you can run a vpn tunnel.

Also vpn here.

Log in from your phone or any device at your disposal, temporarily log in and just access your unraid with the local IP.

I'm also running it from my mikrotik router. But there's plenty of ways you can run a vpn tunnel.

Mikrotik kicks ass... Doesn"t it ?!

Also vpn here.

Mikrotik kicks ass... Doesn"t it ?!

Jazeker :)

Mikrotik are great devices. Although they are really hard to be setup, especially for a person who is just a user.

I own rb450g with uptime of several years but I gave up on setting it up as soon as I saw its "web interface". It was tuned by a friend who is a network admin in a large corporation.

This devices are just on a next level compared to the soho routers.

To answer the main question- I am using Vpn as well (PPtp).

Run OpenVPN server on your unraid box. Peter has a plugin out and its increadibly easy to set-up. Takes 10 seconds to configure on unRAID, then simply forward UDP port 1194 to the unRAID server and you're done :) I VPN into my home network from my iPad when i'm out and about; very easy and its also secure.

Mikrotik are great devices. Although they are really hard to be setup, especially for a person who is just a user.

I own rb450g with uptime of several years but I gave up on setting it up as soon as I saw its "web interface". It was tuned by a friend who is a network admin in a large corporation.

This devices are just on a next level compared to the soho routers.

To answer the main question- I am using Vpn as well (PPtp).

gothca, so, it's probably something I shouldn't have... I'll look for more of consumer grade router...

My setup is a bit more complicated, as it's based on ssh.

I use ssh forwarding/tunneling to a host that houses a squid proxy. This can be a Rasperry Pi or unRAID itself.

I use secureCRT (which is commercial) to foward a local host port tunneled over ssh to the squid proxy.

When I need to, I login with ssh, I enable the proxy in the browser and connect to the server's ip address.

It helps to have multiple browsers, one you usually use and one that you use with forwarding. chrome/firefox for example.

It's a bit complex, but it's worked for me over the years when I can only gain a single ssh connection to my network.

Over a guest's network that is unencumbered by complex firewall rules, I would use the openvpn.